Transitioning off keto???

Options
I've been doing keto for a while and have lost weight at a pretty quick clip, but I'm just not sure I can (or want to) sustain this very low carb woe forever.

Has anyone out there transitioned off keto and continued to lose?

I mean if weight loss is really all about a caloric deficit, I should be able to successfully increase my carbs and continue to lose weight if I keep my calories in a deficit, right?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You might gain water weight initially due to increase in carbs.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes you can. Carbs will bring a certain amount of water weight, but other than that, you should be able to continue to lose weight if you eat at a deficit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about the water weight, slowly increase net carbs. Add maybe 20/week until you find a balance you are happy with.
  • deedles01
    deedles01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you're worried about the water weight, slowly increase net carbs. Add maybe 20/week until you find a balance you are happy with.

Do you think that will help me avoid water weight gain?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    deedles01 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Do you think that will help me avoid water weight gain?

The water weight will naturally come with increased carbs. It just is what it is. Slowly increasing will reduce the big jump you would otherwise see, which could create a bit of an emotional reaction, eventhough you know what's going on. Depending on your deficit, you may find that the scale increases a little, decreases a little, or stays the same, but you shouldn't get that big multi-pound swing.
  • deedles01
    deedles01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you increase carbs, you will increase insulin which is largely responsible for water and sodium retention, so you will retain more water. It is possible that glycogen stores being refilled (if not fat adapted yet) will add to that.

It's just water though. For most people it is just a couple of pounds and does not cause the look of puffiness. It isn't fat. ;) I would try not to worry about it. If you keep losing fat, that extra water weight will be camoflaged by fat loss anyways. :)

Atkins has an easy to follow plan for reintroducing carbs that some like.

I tried adding back more carbs but it leads to overeating for me. Adding back carbs leads to weight gain for me, and it always has. I just stay low carb now. I feel better that way, and I enjoy easier weight management. If anything, I'm lower carb now than I was when I initially lost my weight. It works for me. YMMV

What do keep your carbs at?

I'm not wanting to start eating white bread, pasta and rice every day. I'm really just wanting to eat fruit and vegetables like sweet potatoes, and a banana here and there.

Do you still track your macros?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    stelundie wrote: »
    You can add a fruit in the A.M. -1 cup of greens at lunch and 1 cup of greens at dinner .... as long as you are 50g or below a day and within your calorie deficit you will be in Ketosis but manteining .... keep them 20g a day and you will b losing....

You don't maintain in a deficit, no matter what your carbs are at.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to comments / advise. I have done keto in the past but for me after some time it was too restrictive and I re - gained the weight in double quick time (and more). Through MFP I have started a more balanced meal plan, have made small adjustments and after 300 days seem to have found a macros percentage my body is comfortable with long term and I can stay within the MFP suggested 1740 calories a day. I would imagine that those percentages are such an individual thing - what works for me, might be totally useless for others. (Currently nearly 30 % carbs - mainly from vegetables / salads and a little fruit and about 35 % each of fats and protein.)