Help! Friends dropping like flies!

Options
Seems that several of my “friends” from the New Year have given up while I am still plugging along. Feeling lonely on my journey and need some inspiration!

Replies

• theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    boo hiss! this happens a lot. i suggest you keep collecting friends who match with you until you have a good variety. people quit a lot and it doesn't ever really end. people will continue to disappear and you often won't ever see them again, so keeping up your friends list is an ongoing chore you'll have to adress sometimes.
  • JodieParko
    JodieParko Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me...always looking for friends to help support and motivate!!
  • XzeroY
    XzeroY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I start over every 1/2 month
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, been logging for around 2 years now.
  • johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you choose your friends slowly. Cruise the forums and when you read a post that seems valid to you do a FR. That way you'll have fewer friends, but better ones. Many people come and go--a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning, all gung ho and then they burn out. Don't ever take it personally, or worry, because sometimes someone just isn't a good fit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Seems that several of my “friends” from the New Year have given up while I am still plugging along. Feeling lonely on my journey and need some inspiration!

MFP seems to have a bug at the moment, its showing people as having not logged on for a few days when actually they have.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options

MFP seems to have a bug at the moment, its showing people as having not logged on for a few days when actually they have.

I noticed that too
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you choose your friends slowly. Cruise the forums and when you read a post that seems valid to you do a FR. That way you'll have fewer friends, but better ones. Many people come and go--a lot of enthusiasm in the beginning, all gung ho and then they burn out. Don't ever take it personally, or worry, because sometimes someone just isn't a good fit.

Adding to this, it's also worth adding people that are further along in the journey, those who are maintaining after a loss similar to your own goals, as well as those who are just starting out.

I find a lot of the noobs that add me and then disappear after a few weekstend to have all the weird and wonderful pre-conceived notions about weight loss from the diet industry still stuck in their heads, things like starving themselves on 1000 calories/not eating after 5pm/carbs are the devil/you must exercise to the point of death/etc and such rubbish and because of this they don't tend to focus on the thing that matters, logging food accurately and honestly to meet their calorie goal for sustainable loss, which means they don't get the results they are expecting and then rage quit (I know this because this is exactly what I was doing myself for years).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

@serendipity2018 (and really anyone else looking)

I'd also add that filling out at least basics in your profile as to your goals is a good idea. Though a lot of people are here initially for weight loss, goals vary quite a lot person to person. Though you can often learn a lot from people with differing goals, sometimes you get more information that is directly relevant to your situation if you find people with similar goals as at least a starting point.

Also, don't close your mind and think there is only one way for everyone. What works for one person might be hard to schedule, too difficult, or too restrictive for the next.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding a long-running challenge. (Two that I have found realky helpful are The Ultimate Accountability Challenge and the Fat to Fit challenge).

Long-running challenges tend to have a nice mix of participants (long-term members to newbies). While people do vome and go, there are always folks who continue for a long time.