Buy size 4 blazer as goal clothing?

Options
My original goal pants are now baggy on me. Am 5’7”, 180lbs and size 12. There is this blazer that is on sale that I LOVE. I own it in a 14 but it’s huge on me. It is currently available in a size 4 and size 10. Am looking to about 45 more lbs. For $50...is it worth buying the 4 as motivation?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I tend not to buy clothes that don't fit as motivation. That's just my personal preference. I find it can actually be de-motivating to me.

Have you been at your goal weight/size before so you have an idea what it will look like on you? Even then, things can change. My weight is distributed slightly differently now versus the last time I was this size.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Size 4 was prekids...if it was a 6, I’d feel safe. The four will probably always be too small...but the liner is the most adorable teacup fabric. Lol.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You don’t know yet what size you’re going to wear when you get to your goal weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I tend not to buy clothes that don't fit as motivation. That's just my personal preference. I find it can actually be de-motivating to me.

Have you been at your goal weight/size before so you have an idea what it will look like on you? Even then, things can change. My weight is distributed slightly differently now versus the last time I was this size.

all of this 100% ^

So many variables can come into play. When I was in the midst of 130+ loss I bought several goal items and none of them fit me for long or ultimately fit me all wrong. When I got to a certain point I realized it wasn't going to be as simple as going from one size to the next. For many years everything in my size fit me exactly so I thought I was just an 'easy fit' but I guess for me that only worked in sizes 14 and up. When I'm at my lowest I have a terrible time finding dresses to fit my bust or fitted jackets that fit my shoulders and waist simultaneously. I waffle between sizes 8-12 depending on the item but must try everything on unless it's a sweater or has stretch.

Just not a good plan, in my opinion. I agree with Duck_Puddle, get the one that almost fits and have it tailored down later on.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'd check with a good seamstress, if the larger size can be altered later. Depending on cut, one or 2 sizes down-sizing is often possible. It would fit perfectly in the end, and you wouldn't waste the money on a tiny size.
    I own clothes from size US 4 to 10, because I never know where my training leads me. Weightlifting shifts me into odd proportions for off-the-rack sizing. I can be a size 4 in my hips, size 2 in the waist, and a tight size 8 in my shoulders....
    Clothes sizes are overrated, anyway. After all, we're not wearing the labels on the outside! Good fit is all that matters. B)
    Best of luck!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't because there's no way to guarantee your arms/chest will be the exact size when you expect it, even at a weight that would suggest it. get the 10 so you can actually enjoy it soon.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I absolutely WOULDN'T. You have no guarantee of how it would fit if/when you even hit a size 4, and there is no sense in torturing yourself by not being able to wear it, possibly ever. And, I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't drop $50 on something I can't wear.

If you really want it, get the 10. Unbuttoned, you might be able to wear it now.

Or else, just wait, and save your money, and buy a different blazer when you need it, *and* it is available in your size.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

In fact, I had a really hard time shopping for clothes when I got down to a size 2, because the style of clothing I'd always worn as an adult was no longer flattering on me. I had to try a lot of different things to see what worked on my new body.

/quote]

This for me too - I would try on the styles that were flattering 40lbs ago and they just did nothing for me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i would never buy anything smaller than 1-2 sizes smaller than my current size.

ever, ever, ever.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Just losing another 45 may not get your blazer size down to a 4. Have you ever weighed that amount? Have you ever been a size 4?
    My mom had a thyroid condition as a young woman. She was 5'9" and 115 pounds -- and still took a size 13, because that was how big her bones were. Your shoulders may not shrink to size 4, your breasts may not shrink to where a size 4 will button. You don't know where those last pounds will come off.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. Blazers are hard to guess sizes on.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Another vote for buying the 10.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Buy the 10. There's no guarantee you'll ever get down to a size 4, and even if you do the blazer may no longer be in style.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Buy the 10, not the 4.

It's just too many sizes down. If you end up a showstopping 6 and never fit into it, it'll strip the shine off your achievement.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Get the 10 and enjoy the heck out of it now!! Your shape and style may be completely different at goal.

^^ this