Just passed 2400 days: Pondering

nxd10
nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
edited February 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I clicked on my home page and found I've logged continuously for more than 2400 days. Every. Single. Meal. I've actually logged a few months longer - I traveled to South Africa for three weeks, logged everything, but didn't have internet access so it didn't 'count'.

Good thing is that - well, I lost the weight I wanted to and have kept it off. At this point, I sometimes wonder why I still log. It rarely changes anything I eat. My current focus is on macros - I am trying very hard to get my ever-low protein numbers up.

It takes me almost no time to do. I always look at my daily and weekly calories and goals. I make them 50 out of 52 weeks a year (Christmas and summer vacation are almost always over - most other weeks under).

I've learned two things:

1. Only eat what you're hungry for. The reason that I rarely have to limit myself is that I eat things I like, I don't eat things I don't, and I stop eating when I'm not hungry. For example, the other day I want to Paneras and had a delicious almond croissant. But it was 550 calories (bless them for posting that). I ate half - thoroughly enjoyed it - and give the rest to my son who also enjoyed his half. I now split almost all restaurant meals with my husband. When I don't, I bring half home. I feel crummy when I eat too much and now I know that.

2. If I eat too many carbs, calories don't matter. I'm not a low carb person - mine are usually 35-40%. But if they go over that I start gaining no matter what. I focus on healthy fats and upping my proteins. I never don't eat something because it's got too many carbs (see almond croissant above). I also learned since my husband has celiac disease that you can order any sandwich without bread. Just as satisfying and 100-200 fewer calories - all of them carbs.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Great post, thanks for that and congrats on that logging streak. That's pretty epic. :)
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    That’s an impressive streak! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Thank you for your advise - MFP has so much to offer; I record all food / drinks consumed but also as important to me are all the comments and good advise. Just recently someone commented on "food stacking" and that it is not always a good idea when trying to lose weight. Never heard of that before, but I know realize it makes total sense. (315 days gone, about 30 kg lost, 50 or so kg to go.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Great logging streak :smile:
    I could care less about my 7 years of being here day in day out apart from when I'm on holiday/vacation, I no longer log my food but the main thing is we are maintaining and that's what its all about :smiley: getting it done in a way that works for us individually.
  • brtgl
    brtgl Posts: 129 Member
    Amazing streak. Thanks for posting. Now I know of two people that have longer streaks than me.