do you think walking 40, 80 or 90 minutes a day will be beneficial to help lose weight?

Options
recently i’ve been walking home from where i study which is a 40 min walk and then upped it from walking back do u think it’s beneficial or just a waste of time? i plan to walk there and back 5 days a week along side that i do the 30 day shred (i’m currently on level 2). the walking is making me sleepy especially the 90 minute walk but idk if that’s a sign it’s working or not or because i’m not used to it

so what do u think of this?

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Movement is good for sure, but a healthy diet is also needed to see the full benefits of any exercise.
  • annw6
    annw6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It’s exercise and a good form of exercise. As long as it fits in with your lifestyle I can’t see any downside (fitting in means it’s more more likely that you’ll keep it up) unless pollution is/becomes a problem.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Why would it be a waste of time?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Of course it's "working" in the sense of using more calories than you would burn not walking. Is it working in the sense of making you lose weight? You can't lose weight without consuming fewer calories than you take in, which means you also need to regulate your diet or no exercise in the world will make you lose weight. Many people unconsciously eat more when they exercise, cancelling out any benefits.

Log your food, log your exercise, and that will give you the best idea of how your exercise is benefitting you in terms of weight loss.
  • GretelGSD
    GretelGSD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is fantastic but to lose weight, your calorie deficit is the deciding factor. Weigh all foods and log your calories and fit in some exercise but keep in mind that you often don't burn as many calories as you think exercising and it's easy to eat them back without realising. Don't do too much that you get tired of exercise, balance is key and enjoy the other benefits that exercise brings, healthier heart, toned body, greater endurance, better mood etc.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    walking is fabulous exercise - kudos to you.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Not a waste of time. Moving is good for health.

That said, it’s not really going to make you lose weight faster. Weight loss is 90% about diet. But not everything is about weight loss. You should exercise for health and fitness.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I would expect it to be beneficial, but I'm a bit concerned about your sleepiness. Are you feeling fatigued in general?

I would also worry whether spending that much time walking was coming at the expense of time spent of other things, e.g. study time, time spent relaxing and so on.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I love walking, I'd walk everywhere if I could. Also download some podcasts to listen to when you walk maybe!
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I weigh 177 and I walk about 3 mph and I burn 250-300 calories for 1 hour of walking. If you can fit in the time anything that burns more calories will help.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Walking outside and breathing in fresh air can make you sleepy especially after a long day.
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    A two-hour walk gives me (short woman, roughly 145lbs) about 500 calories extra to eat. Which helps me adhere to my calorie deficit. Which is definitely beneficial.

are u supposed to eat back exercise calories? idk
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Been on 5 miles a day (total not necessarily in one trek) walk since late Nov. It helped me loose few lbs along with calories counting. It's never a bad thing to walk.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    trulyhealy wrote: »
    A two-hour walk gives me (short woman, roughly 145lbs) about 500 calories extra to eat. Which helps me adhere to my calorie deficit. Which is definitely beneficial.

are u supposed to eat back exercise calories? idk

Yes. I do half in general and keep the other half as a cushion against logging errors.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    when i do a fat loss cycle/cut - my workouts decrease and i focus on getting my LISS in (low intensity steady state) - of which walking is a prime component - it helps me to focus as well as gives me some energy (i get up and walk 10 min every hour at work)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about creating a calorie deficit. Weight is governed by an energy balance commonly known as Calories In, Calories Out, or CICO.

If you want to lose weight, you need your calories in to be less than your calories out or CI < CO
    If you want to maintain weight, you need your calories in to be equal to your calories out or CI = CO
    When you gain weight, it is because your calories in are greater than your calories out, or CI > CO

Exercise of any form, walking included, contributes to the CO side of those equations.

So yes, walking can be beneficial for losing weight.

That said, logging accurately to ensure that your CI puts you in a calorie deficit based on the amount of calories you burn, is probably the most impactful thing you can do when it comes to weight loss.