Macros confuse me

Options
How many macros im I supposed to have per day? I have no idea how to calulate it. Please help.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    How many macros im I supposed to have per day? I have no idea how to calulate it. Please help.

The macros are shown in grams on the nutrition tab of the app, if you haven't made any adjustments of your own this will be the default MFP settings.

For weight loss, macros are pretty much moot, it's more about satiety and sustainability. If you don't feel full on what you're eating you can play about with them in the Goals section and tweak them.

If you're looking for macro calculations for a specific way of eating, you'll need to clarify your post.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    By your post I don't know if you know what macros are. They are carbs, fat, protein, sugar, and sodium. These are just the basics. MFP tells you how many you should shoot for each day based on your calorie goal. They are listed next to your calories at the bottom of your food diary.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    By your post I don't know if you know what macros are. They are carbs, fat, protein, sugar, and sodium. These are just the basics. MFP tells you how many you should shoot for each day based on your calorie goal. They are listed next to your calories at the bottom of your food diary.

isn't it just carbs, fat and protein that are macros?

You're right, of course, but so many people watch sugar and sodium I just threw them in. Thanks for being on point. :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Eat to fuel your body with calories, enjoy your food selections and be satisfied and full to the extent possible given your planned calories deficit to meet your planned weight loss goal. Perhaps pay attention to macros as an afterthought to see what they're reading and help you better understand the winning eating plan FOR YOU.

Macros are overrated in my opinion.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Macros are proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
    Proteins & carbs has 4 cal per gram
    Fats have 9 cal per gram
    If you're just starting out, try to look at the "big picture" - your overall calorie intake, first. If you get that squared-away, you'll be on the right track and then can start worrying (IF you want to - not necessary) about macro breakdowns.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can drive yourself nuts trying to be too precise. Some people love it. Not me. I just entered true values if I could and then came as close as I could for the rest. 35 lbs down says its working.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Here's a great explanation of macros and how to set them for your personal situation.

The default macros on myfitnesspal are 50%Carbs 30%Fats 20%Protein.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1