Tip??

Hey Everyone I’m Alyssa and I’m hoping to lose around 35 pounds and I was hoping that I could be given some tips on how to feel motivated on the days when I feel terrible. And what to do when I don’t have a support group around me at the moment to stay motivated. Any tips would be great. Thank you 🥳

Replies

• RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Hi! You could always try making a list of positive reasons why you wish to lose weight and post it up on the wall. Then if you ever feel down, you can go to that list on the wall and remind yourself why you are embarking on your weight loss journey.

Just a thought! :smile:
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Hey Everyone I’m Alyssa and I’m hoping to lose around 35 pounds and I was hoping that I could be given some tips on how to feel motivated on the days when I feel terrible. And what to do when I don’t have a support group around me at the moment to stay motivated. Any tips would be great. Thank you 🥳

Motivation is a fickle friend. It will desert you when you need it most, and no words from anyone will be able to force it back to your side. Instead, learn solid, healthy habits and discipline yourself to follow them no matter what else may be going on. Even when you feel terrible, you just follow your habits instead of seeking that motivation-high to get you through a rough spot. If you let something as transient as motivation be your anchor, you will float away. Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Tip: Set your goal as an intention of losing 0.5 lb per week.
    You feel less terrible less often that way.
  • Discipline is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. I can give you some personal experience. It's going to sound off-topic, but bear with me to the end?

I write fanfiction as a hobby. And I used to sort of sit around waiting for inspiration to strike. When it did, writing happened. But then one day, I remembered my university days as an English Lit major, when we had to hand in papers averaging 15-20 pages. General policy was, for every day late without a valid extension, you got docked half a letter grade. So, one day late and the highest mark you could get was an A-; 2 days late meant a B+, etc. And I remembered that, whether I was inspired/motivated by the material or not, writing happened and papers got done. I never once asked for an extension (nor heard of anyone else asking for one) for a reason like, "I wasn't inspired." "I had writers' block". "My muse wouldn't cooperate." "I just couldn't get motivated." Somehow, when there were tangible consequences to not getting it done... it got done.

So I thought to myself, "Can I do that? Impose a writing deadline upon myself; one scene a night? No matter what? Possible day off when I finish a chapter, possible day off to research for an upcoming scene, but something writing-related and usually writing every day?"

That was about eight years ago. I haven't had a day of real writers' block since. I've had days where I knew I was going to have to write outside my comfort zone and wasn't excited about it, but not days where I'd sit in front of a blank page with a blank mind and have no idea what came next.

When I made up my mind to lose weight, I'd just been diagnosed with an obesity-related complication that had me on bed-rest, with daily nursing visits, and multiple courses of antibiotics. I decided that wasn't going to be my life. My vascular surgeon told me clearly that the condition could be managed—by weight loss and compression stockings—but not cured. Suddenly, weight-loss became something necessary. And that same discipline that had me writing a scene a night? Kicked in and has me adhering to my calories. It has me exercising, even when I don't feel like it. Because for me, at this point, how I feel about the process is irrelevant. I need to get to a healthy weight. My motivation is not going back to bed-rest, nurse visits, and a weeping wound on my leg that takes months to heal. Yes, my wants play a part. I've chosen a way of eating that I enjoy and will be able to stick to when the weight comes off, incorporating foods I love. I've chosen exercise I generally enjoy. And some days, I'll change it up a little if I'm bored or have a treat that I normally wouldn't indulge in. But motivation? It's nice when I have it, but I can't afford to let the lack of it trip me up.
    Discipline is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. I can give you some personal experience. It's going to sound off-topic, but bear with me to the end?

I write fanfiction as a hobby. And I used to sort of sit around waiting for inspiration to strike. When it did, writing happened. But then one day, I remembered my university days as an English Lit major, when we had to hand in papers averaging 15-20 pages. General policy was, for every day late without a valid extension, you got docked half a letter grade. So, one day late and the highest mark you could get was an A-; 2 days late meant a B+, etc. And I remembered that, whether I was inspired/motivated by the material or not, writing happened and papers got done. I never once asked for an extension (nor heard of anyone else asking for one) for a reason like, "I wasn't inspired." "I had writers' block". "My muse wouldn't cooperate." "I just couldn't get motivated." Somehow, when there were tangible consequences to not getting it done... it got done.

So I thought to myself, "Can I do that? Impose a writing deadline upon myself; one scene a night? No matter what? Possible day off when I finish a chapter, possible day off to research for an upcoming scene, but something writing-related and usually writing every day?"

That was about eight years ago. I haven't had a day of real writers' block since. I've had days where I knew I was going to have to write outside my comfort zone and wasn't excited about it, but not days where I'd sit in front of a blank page with a blank mind and have no idea what came next.

When I made up my mind to lose weight, I'd just been diagnosed with an obesity-related complication that had me on bed-rest, with daily nursing visits, and multiple courses of antibiotics. I decided that wasn't going to be my life. My vascular surgeon told me clearly that the condition could be managed—by weight loss and compression stockings—but not cured. Suddenly, weight-loss became something necessary. And that same discipline that had me writing a scene a night? Kicked in and has me adhering to my calories. It has me exercising, even when I don't feel like it. Because for me, at this point, how I feel about the process is irrelevant. I need to get to a healthy weight. My motivation is not going back to bed-rest, nurse visits, and a weeping wound on my leg that takes months to heal. Yes, my wants play a part. I've chosen a way of eating that I enjoy and will be able to stick to when the weight comes off, incorporating foods I love. I've chosen exercise I generally enjoy. And some days, I'll change it up a little if I'm bored or have a treat that I normally wouldn't indulge in. But motivation? It's nice when I have it, but I can't afford to let the lack of it trip me up.

This was the most beautiful thing I’ve read in a long time. Thank you for being inspiring. It’s not about motivation but about the need regardless of what happens to do it!
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,232 Member
    Totally agree that, in the long run, it is discipline not motivation that will determine results. That said ...

1. Take the time to write out your big why (why you want to lose weight/get fit)
    2. Start with small, achievable steps and build on successes with them.
    3. Give yourself some time to figure out what works for you. In the meantime, continue tracking food and exercise (even on "bad days").
    4. Find a group or challenge here that can give you some support.
    5. Don't give up.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Discipline is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. I can give you some personal experience. It's going to sound off-topic, but bear with me to the end?

This was the most beautiful thing I’ve read in a long time. Thank you for being inspiring. It’s not about motivation but about the need regardless of what happens to do it!

:blush: Thanks for saying so.
  • Kamille68
    Kamille68 Posts: 46 Member
    Make little weight goals. With every 2 or 5 kilo you lose make a reward list with things you really want.
  • merylsmom
    merylsmom Posts: 2 Member
    I use tunnel vision. What is the worst habit or problem I’m facing right now? At various times, it was poor sleep or limited mobility or mental health. If I just work on one thing, like quality sleep, the next “worst thing” becomes surmountable. By the time I got to sleep better, I could think about nourishing my body and my attitude came around nicely. The worst thing could be night eating or weekend drinking or social meals. Pick one thing and eventually your cumulative improvements build a set of healthy habits. This approach keeps me from being overwhelmed but also moving forward.
  • merylsmom wrote: »
    I use tunnel vision. What is the worst habit or problem I’m facing right now? At various times, it was poor sleep or limited mobility or mental health. If I just work on one thing, like quality sleep, the next “worst thing” becomes surmountable. By the time I got to sleep better, I could think about nourishing my body and my attitude came around nicely. The worst thing could be night eating or weekend drinking or social meals. Pick one thing and eventually your cumulative improvements build a set of healthy habits. This approach keeps me from being overwhelmed but also moving forward.

Huh🤔 hadn’t thought of it that way 👏👏