TAKE A DAY OFF FROM CALORIE COUNTING??

Options
Hi all. Here’s the deal. I’ve logged in every single morsel of food I’ve eaten into my fitness pal for the last 583 days. With a goal of 83lbs to loose. I’ve lost all but 13lbs and I’m going to achieve it. But my question is, has anyone ever been successful by taking one day a week off from calorie counting. I’m getting calorie counting burn out 😜 and would love to have a day a week where I don’t count every single item I eat. I guess like a cheat day of sorts but just a day to relax and yes maybe have a treat or to have a bit extra above my target range. Does anyone do this and does it derail you for the week? Thanks

Replies

• kimberley1975mfp
    kimberley1975mfp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Absolutely! First of all, logging everything continuously for 583 days is dang impressive. Very few people here can say that they've actually done that. Taking a day off a week will certainly not derail your progress, especially since you seem to be going in with the right attitude (not using it as an excuse to eat everything in sight). Just use the knowledge you have already built from logging to make relatively smart choices during that time, and you will be fine.

Yes I started on my journey in April 2017 and I have never missed a day logging. It amazes me when I see it on my feed the number of days in a row. I’m not sure I could stop logging now even if I wanted to. I log even if I’m over my calories for the day. It holds me accountable but I just wonder at this point if it will be a journey I do for a lifetime by logging everything or if I can get to a point where I feel confident enough to not log a day and still be ok. Food is an addiction for me and I wonder if not logging would be like an alcoholic not drinking for 583 days and then saying ok I’ll have a drink and hope it doesn’t cause me to start drinking again. I do still enjoy a meal out or holiday treats etc. But if I didn’t log a day would I say well I’m not counting today so stuff my face 😂. I guess worse case scenario is I still log what I eat but accept that a day a week maybe I get to enjoy something extra without feeling guilty and hope it doesn’t ruin my weekly deficit 😊
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Absolutely! First of all, logging everything continuously for 583 days is dang impressive. Very few people here can say that they've actually done that. Taking a day off a week will certainly not derail your progress, especially since you seem to be going in with the right attitude (not using it as an excuse to eat everything in sight). Just use the knowledge you have already built from logging to make relatively smart choices during that time, and you will be fine.

Yes I started on my journey in April 2017 and I have never missed a day logging. It amazes me when I see it on my feed the number of days in a row. I’m not sure I could stop logging now even if I wanted to. I log even if I’m over my calories for the day. It holds me accountable but I just wonder at this point if it will be a journey I do for a lifetime by logging everything or if I can get to a point where I feel confident enough to not log a day and still be ok. Food is an addiction for me and I wonder if not logging would be like an alcoholic not drinking for 583 days and then saying ok I’ll have a drink and hope it doesn’t cause me to start drinking again. I do still enjoy a meal out or holiday treats etc. But if I didn’t log a day would I say well I’m not counting today so stuff my face 😂. I guess worse case scenario is I still log what I eat but accept that a day a week maybe I get to enjoy something extra without feeling guilty and hope it doesn’t ruin my weekly deficit 😊

In this case, only you know you best. If you feel like it would be a trigger for you to fall off the wagon, then I would maybe be hesitant. It certainly can be done. But if you feel like for you personally, it might be a temptation, then I would definitely consider that in your decision.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have whole weeks and months where i dont. lost 130 pounds. still losing. i may do a rough mental count, and keep it around maintenance, but im not a slave to the numbers.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    One day of overeating in isolation is not going to affect your long term weight loss.

One day per week of overeating absolutely could affect your weight loss. When you’re close to your goal, as you are, one day of overeating could easily wipe out your deficit for the entire week. If you don’t log, you don’t know whether you’re still in a deficit or not.

If you want to eat more on some days than others, you can go by your weekly calorie goal, save up some calories for a bigger meal, and still lose weight at the expected pace as long as you’re within your weekly calorie goal.

This. Absolutely this.

I’m at 2600 and change days of logging everything so I get the fatigue.

I would consider looking at a weekly goal to have days where you can be a bit free-er while still keeping to your weight loss goals. Sadly-just not logging isn’t likely to do that. You’re probably at a pretty small deficit right now, and a “loose” day with a treat or two will easily cover that. Saving a few calories most days to allow for one where you can indulge is a better option.

On the overall fatigue with logging and the process-I highly recommend taking a couple of weeks and eating at maintenance. It will feel like a lot of food. It will be refreshing. It will restore your hormones and your energy levels and all kinds of things in a big long thread about “regress and diet breaks”. I do this pretty regularly and find that I can come back after that with a renewed focus and less overall fatigue about the whole weight loss/logging process. It sounds like you need a mental break. This could help while also helping you practice for when you get to maintenance.

Congrats on your success so far and good luck whichever way you go.

• kimberley1975mfp
    kimberley1975mfp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How did not counting calories work for you before you started counting calories almost 600 days ago?

Well I was super fat obviously and therefore that’s my concern about not counting
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    How did not counting calories work for you before you started counting calories almost 600 days ago?

Well I was super fat obviously and therefore that’s my concern about not counting
    So what's your maintenance game plan?

The end of the weight loss phase isn't the end. If you go back to your old habits, you'll end up back in your old body.

Some keep logging strictly, some keep logging but more loosely, and some can find an eating method/pattern that has a structure of some sort but without logging.

As you are edging up on your goal, experiment with things like days off to see how they work for you.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    One day a week would almost certainly see me wiping out my calorie deficit pretty much every week. I do tend to plan days here and there that I don't log, but every week wouldn't work for me.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just having a practice run at maintaining for a couple of weeks and then switching back to the deficit for the remaining pounds?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You could try it and see? but you'd still need to be mindful of how much you're eating.

Personally I hardly ever log my food now but I still mentally total up my calories in/out (I'm in maintenance nearly 6yrs)
  • mrsyarnlady8831
    mrsyarnlady8831 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week where I eat anything I want, sometimes I log and sometimes I don't.

Do what YOU want to do because it's your journey 👍🏻
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Take a day off from logging? I, apparently, couldn't even take one food item off of logging even tho I specifically told myself (in my head) I wouldn't log it. :)

It wouldn't hurt to take a shot and see how you fare.