What's a "horrible day"?

shelbym87
shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been trolling the boards a little lately and I see a lot of..."had a horrible day today, new day tmrw" or "I binged so bad today" . Which brings me to my question. What IS a bad day, binge day or cheat day for you? 1000 calories over? 500? I'm asking because according to my diary my days have been pretty bad. Or "above average". I'm 5*6 127lbs just trying to lose 5-10 more. I run at least 3 miles 4-5x/week. My goal is 1200 cals a day, but I get about 1600 or so on days I exercise. On days I don't run I go over about 300cals. That horrible?

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    no. i've gone over by like 2,000 before. uh haha. your not running on those days so 300 is not bad.. your body is in athelte mode, so it thinks you ran, and it wants the extra
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    To me horrible is 1000+ from my 1200 goal.
    I'm been known to eat 5000+ cals on my binge days.
    What can I say? Sadly, I love food. Haha, oh well.
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Oh gosh. I have binged on 4000. I'm serious. My binging has calmed down, though.
  • HangoverSquare
    HangoverSquare Posts: 128 Member
    1,000+ over my goal.

If it happens, I'll blame Little Debbie.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    For me, a horrible day is one where I've completely lost control and succumbed to emotional eating.. Haven't had one of those yet but I know it can happen to the most diligent. A worse day would be the day after the horrible day IF I gave up.

As for your situation, I can't say that I'm an expert, but it seems to me that if you're operating with a calorie deficit, you're still making progress - it just might take a little longer.
  • shelbym87
    no. i've gone over by like 2,000 before. uh haha. your not running on those days so 300 is not bad.. your body is in athelte mode, so it thinks you ran, and it wants the extra

You're probably right. Since I've started running more I can't keep it at 1200. But I do see a lot of people who swear by te eat more lose more method.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    A day that is horrible to me is when I not only substantially go over my calories but when they are empty calories - so I've done nothing for my body nutritionally.

It makes a difference to how I feel if I've gone over by eating decent, healthy food or by eating junk.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member

You're probably right. Since I've started running more I can't keep it at 1200. But I do see a lot of people who swear by te eat more lose more method.

i don't know about "eat more lose more", but I do know about eat more, be healthier, lose slower, feel better, be less likely to binge
  • For me, horrible is more about what I ate than how much of it I ate. One indulgent meal/ snack in a day, ok. Three crappy meals and I know I'm wasting my time.:smile:
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    My bad days are all about grazing and nibbles...... I'll get 2 M&Ms or I'll have an extra 1/2 Nutrigrain bar at lunch... then I'll slip into a couple of cans of diet soda. By the time I get home, I'm grabbing every little bit of something I can find. A couple of pinches of shredded cheese from the bag in the fridge.... 3 fig newtons.... 4 or 5 pringles.... 2 extra Boca 'chicken nuggets' on my plate... eating the 1/2 'nugget' left on a kids plate after dinner. It doesnt seem like a lot, but its like a snowball rolling downhill. I have a little bite and I want one more... of ANYTHING. Ive even gotten up in the middle of the night and eaten something with my eyes closed just so the light from the fridge wouldnt hurt my eyes. Might be a spoon full of almond butter...might be a spoon full of sugar free syrup or a spoon full of salsa. Just some flavor in my mouth and none of them ever quite satisfy. That's when my eating is the most dangerous. That "well-i-just-ate-that-but-it-wasnt-what-i-really-wanted' syndrome.... where you keep hunting for something 'else' to eat. YIKES!!!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I guess I haven't really had horrible days but bad days are when i've filled up my calories with too many high cal foods and therefore I don't actually eat enough that day unless I go over. I can tell when I haven't had enough nutrients - feel kinda sick. So I don't call those days HORRIBLE but I dont' like them, I really hate to go over.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    My bad days are all about grazing and nibbles...... I'll get 2 M&Ms or I'll have an extra 1/2 Nutrigrain bar at lunch... then I'll slip into a couple of cans of diet soda. By the time I get home, I'm grabbing every little bit of something I can find. A couple of pinches of shredded cheese from the bag in the fridge.... 3 fig newtons.... 4 or 5 pringles.... 2 extra Boca 'chicken nuggets' on my plate... eating the 1/2 'nugget' left on a kids plate after dinner. It doesnt seem like a lot, but its like a snowball rolling downhill. I have a little bite and I want one more... of ANYTHING. Ive even gotten up in the middle of the night and eaten something with my eyes closed just so the light from the fridge wouldnt hurt my eyes. Might be a spoon full of almond butter...might be a spoon full of sugar free syrup or a spoon full of salsa. Just some flavor in my mouth and none of them ever quite satisfy. That's when my eating is the most dangerous. That "well-i-just-ate-that-but-it-wasnt-what-i-really-wanted' syndrome.... where you keep hunting for something 'else' to eat. YIKES!!!!

Very scary! I tend to do this from time to time
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    For me, a bad day is anything over (so my cals go red). A HORRIBLE day is anything over maintenance - I'm currently set to lose 2lb per week, so that would be 1000+ over. I haven't had too many horrible days yet, thank goodness. I can normally stop myself from going ridiculously over.
  • shelbym87
    Thank you for all of your input I needed to gauge how I was doing based on other's experiences. And I can definitely binge with the best of them. 1000s over. But that was before MFP & hopefully binging habits are gone :)) I eat when I'm bored. That's the biggest problem. And I just quit smoking cigarettes so I fill that void with eating sometimes. I got this idea from another post today...if I want a snack I'll say "okay you can have the apple in the fridge" if I don't want it I'll know I'm not hungry just bored.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    My bad days are 90% because I had some treat food, then a switch went off in my head, and I thought screw weight loss and eating healthy I'm going to do what makes me happy! And right now that's eating 2 litres of ben & jerry's! afterwards though I feel no better and usually go on a run out of guilt haha.

also, grats on quitting smoking! all of my friends who quit went straight to cheetohs for at least a couple weeks lol.
This discussion has been closed.