Running Plateau

Options
I've started running a couple of months ago and I've built up some decent endurance. A month and a half ago, I was able to finally run a mile all the way through (Woo!) but it seems like I've hit a road block.

The last few times I ran, I felt really out of breath halfway into my mile and would have to take a minute to a minute and a half break before I continued to run. I was sick about two weeks ago with a bad cold (still have some slight residual post-nasal drip) so I'm thinking maybe that has something to do with it as well? Anyone have this happen to them or any advice on how to push through? I've given my body plenty of rest when I was sick (took a week off of working out) so not really sure what's going on! Just really frustrated :(

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It happens. It's usually a sign to back off a bit until you've recovered.

Have you been following a plan?
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    It happens. It's usually a sign to back off a bit until you've recovered.

Have you been following a plan?

I've been loosely following couch to 5k, but going at my own pace. Maybe I'll switch to something else besides running for a couple days and see how I feel.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It can take longer than you’d expect to recover after being sick. I’ve definitely needed two weeks or more sometimes.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just not be fully recovered from your cold.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree, take a few more days off and then run slower when you go back to it
  • StephSuter2508
    StephSuter2508 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Running uses your lungs as much as your legs, so if you have a cold and your lungs are damaged from infection then it will affect your ability to run for periods of time.

I should tell you to rest, but I am terrible at resting so I will be honest with you, rest is best until you are fully recovered HOWEVER, if you aren't going to rest and your going to go out anyway then the best thing to do is to reduce the intensity,

If you're running a mile in 10 minutes, if you have a cold drop your speed to 11 or 12 minutes, jog slow enough that you could hold a conversation, do not allow yourself to get out of breath

I find fartlek training useful when I have a cold or injury, short bursts of running with jogging or walking to recover inbetween
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Looks like I'll be taking another break from running for at least a little while. Hopefully that helps!