Almost White Egg Yolks...WTF?

Options
maryd523
maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
I've been buying local free-range eggs for over a year now...I will never, ever go back to grocery-store, battery-farm eggs. The eggs from truly cage-free hens are a delightful range of browns, greens, and whites, and their yolks are a deep, vibrate orange. They taste SOOOO delicious.

So I just boiled up a few eggs and I was absolutely shocked when I bit into them and saw that the yolk was almost completely white. I have bought from this farm many times before and they have always had dark orange yolks.

I can't find anything online...just wondering if anyone knows what could have caused this.

Replies

• Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    It could be something as simple as the farmer has changed the brand of feed he's been using.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It could be something as simple as the farmer has changed the brand of feed he's been using.

I thought free-range eggs were so bright because the hens eat a variety of greens and insects? I know they give them some feed, but that definitely isn't all that they eat, hence the huge difference between caged and non-caged eggs.
  • harm_ny
    harm_ny Posts: 21
    Options
    It's definitely a super egg. Please keep us updated on your super hero power developments!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    You might try going to backyardchickens.com and asking there. I keep chickens and the amount of time they get on the grass does effect how deep an orange/yellow the yolk is. I've also had periods where they haven't been on the grass (just in their run) but have never had a yolk that was anything less than yellow.

ETA: Okay, because I do keep chickens and was curious I googled too. Here's a link with some info for you.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/31/pale-yolks
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a super egg. Please keep us updated on your super hero power developments!

Haha! Yes... please do!