I'm new and I have a disorder.

Options
So I'm not the typical person that can lose weight and that if I stop eating a certain amount or work out a certain amount I'll be fine. I have hashimoto's disease and severe hypothyroidism. Basically one of the issues with those diseases is your metabolism stops working right. I've been on every diet you can think of. I work out all the time. My whole live I have never had weight issues. I got diagnosed in 2017 and I immediately started gaining weight I went from 130 to 170 in 4 months. I'm 5'2. I seriously can't get past 163. It's like I'm at a stand still I can't lose weight but I'm also not gaining weight which is good. I saw a post on here about orlistol and a bunch of people were just saying stop eating so many calories. In my case I need some help getting this weight off until I'm in a more stable situation with my thyroid meds and they help my metabolism start to work again. So my question is does anyone else have this disease and has anyone else tried orlistol?

Replies

• Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Even with zero thyroid output, your metabolism would only be affected 5%. So there really isn't a need to "fix" your metabolism if you are on thyroid replacement therapy. The pills you mention are an alleged carb/fat blocker. Trust me, if they worked, none of us would be here at MFP.
    I found this youtube video to be an eye opener:
    https://youtu.be/KA9AdlhB18o
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You say you've been on all sorts of diets and work out all the time but do you count your calories? You can certainly lose without doing so but for many it gets to a point where you need to be more accurate in your tracking in order to continue to lose, and you may have reached that point. There are many people here with the same ailments as you that have no issue with controlling their weight once they learn how to properly track their calories.