Homeschool Moms over 40

Options
How do you fit your exercise routine into your homeschool schedule? Taking little ones to and from gym would take up 2 hours, and that will eat into your school time!

Replies

• MamaBear517
    MamaBear517 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 36. Close enough? I homeschool my four kids ages 4-11. I go to the gym three evenings a week and play in an adult soccer league on the weekend.
  • proudmomma86
    proudmomma86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 32 mom of 4 (ages 1 to 11). I workout at 540 am 5 days a week. 3 of those days i workout for 90 min and the other 2 60 min. I come home shower and then start my day. Kids have breakfast and chores and then school starts soon after. Feel free to add me.
  • LoKoMi
    LoKoMi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I’m in my last weeks of my 40s, and my youngest graduates in May so my last weeks of homeschooling too.

I don’t want to discourage you but I wasn’t able to get to the gym until last year. But that’s mainly due to my laziness and lack of finances for gym membership.

My local YMCA has free childcare during certain hours, and also a homeschool gym/swim time. If my kids were younger (it’s geared to ages 4-12, mostly under-8s show up) I’d take them for that and do my workout. If your gym doesn’t have something like this, ask about starting one!

Also consider if a local homeschool kid can be a paid Mothers Helper and watch the kids over lunch time, helping them eat and clean up a simple meal, while you work out.

• LoKoMi
    Options
    ps Phys Ed *is* and important part of the school day, so find a way to fit it in.

It might mean a different sort of workout for you. If you’re able, join a class with them. My husband does martial arts with our youngest- that’s a good option for mixed ages and abilities.
  • totinachang
    totinachang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 36. Close enough? I homeschool my four kids ages 4-11. I go to the gym three evenings a week and play in an adult soccer league on the weekend.

• totinachang
    totinachang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your insight. I should add that my husband is away for his work a lot, so he won’t be able to help out. Many gym has childcare, but dragging 3 littles and fumble with jackets and car seat..I feel that is time-consuming and just not my thing.

I like working physical education into our homeschooling. Maybe during the youngest nap time. They need to model a healthy mama! You go homeschooling moms!
  • LoKoMi
    Options
    Yes!

Other ideas to consider, or “Things I’d do differently if I knew then what I know now:”

Use homeschooling to your advantage! Spend as little time as possible at desks and tables, especially when they’re little but also when they’re older. You can do math facts while bouncing a ball or on a mini trampoline. Count while jumping rope. Listen to audio books while stretching or marching in place. Learn dances of countries you study in geography or history.

My wiggliest child learned so much more when she was moving her body, otherwise she was spending all of her energy trying to keep still and had none left over for learning. She is now a successful adult, thriving in a physically demanding career that also requires a calming personality and presence with a simultaneous enthusiasm and uplifting tone.

Mostly, I wish I had found more ways for the entire family to be active together. Maybe then I wouldn’t have gotten so overweight and out of shape. I always made sure the girls had physical activities and classes, but I neglected myself. I wish I had been more open to other ways to get or stay in shape, instead of just quitting my weekly class when the schedule got too difficult.

Go Mommas! We got this!!!
  • mamakaraba971
    mamakaraba971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m a homeschooling mom of 5 (3,6,9,11,13) I’ll be 35 in April. After I turned 30 I put on 20lbs and after no 5 I put on another 25lbs!! We have a treadmill that I’ve rarely used so I’m hoping to start waking up early to walk for an hour but it’s soooo hard. I feel like I’m alway exhausted by 3pm so I started whole30. It’s only day 6 and I’ve been having major sugar cravings 😩 thankfully with the my fitness pal app I’ve been staying on my calorie goals (mostly) Are you guys doing any diets or restrictions?? Cardio vs weight lifting???
  • proudmomma86
    proudmomma86 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I’m a homeschooling mom of 5 (3,6,9,11,13) I’ll be 35 in April. After I turned 30 I put on 20lbs and after no 5 I put on another 25lbs!! We have a treadmill that I’ve rarely used so I’m hoping to start waking up early to walk for an hour but it’s soooo hard. I feel like I’m alway exhausted by 3pm so I started whole30. It’s only day 6 and I’ve been having major sugar cravings 😩 thankfully with the my fitness pal app I’ve been staying on my calorie goals (mostly) Are you guys doing any diets or restrictions?? Cardio vs weight lifting???

Im just trying to stay within my caloric intake. My workout choice is jazzercise (im addicted) its a mix of cardio and weights. I try to go for healthier food options (food is my weakness not exercise).