300 lbs looking for advice on diet

Options
So I'm about a month into eating clean, watching calories and working out. My daily goal is around 2200 to 2500 calories a day. I workout 4 to 5 days a week and have a cheat day once a week. Will my body go into starvation mode with that low of calories? Can I build muscle and lose weight?

Replies

• fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    How did you do the first month?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    You cannot build muscle while in a calorie deficit, however you'll want to preserve what you have as much as possible by hitting an adequate protein intake, not losing to much weight to fast etc.

Actually an over fat beginner exerciser is definitely in a position to have actual muscle building take place even in a caloric deficit.

https://sci-fit.net/bulking-deficit-gaining/

Thank you for sharing this!

• zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    You cannot build muscle while in a calorie deficit, however you'll want to preserve what you have as much as possible by hitting an adequate protein intake, not losing to much weight to fast etc.

Actually an over fat beginner exerciser is definitely in a position to have actual muscle building take place even in a caloric deficit.

https://sci-fit.net/bulking-deficit-gaining/

Thanks for correcting me, good to know!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    So I'm about a month into eating clean, watching calories and working out. My daily goal is around 2200 to 2500 calories a day. I workout 4 to 5 days a week and have a cheat day once a week. Will my body go into starvation mode with that low of calories? Can I build muscle and lose weight?

@dpandolfo0928 instead of having a cheat day once a week why don't you incorporate your favorite foods in your overall diet?

Since you're at a higher weight & probably have more wiggle room with your calories it could work for now, but once you lose weight & have a smaller deficit to play around with a cheat day could easily blow your weeks worth of effort in one day or even one meal.

Also it's imperative to eat in a way that will work while in maintenance. Depending on how clean your definition of eating is will that be the way you eat once you hit maintenance? If not then find a way that will be sustainable not only in maintenance, but life.