how many times a week

Options
How many times a week do you guys workout? Does it matter if I do it everyday or 3 times a week, like can either be bad?

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    The only problem is doing it not at all or doing it every single day. The body needs physical activity, but it also needs a break every so often. Most people say you should take off a day a week from working out, especially if your workouts are ususally high impact.
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i workout 5-6 days a week i was doing 7 days a week for a while but realized my body really needed atleast one rest day...i do cardio 5-6 days and lift weights 4-5 depending on the week :)
  • Curvygoth
    Curvygoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by workout. Everybody should have a rest day each week to allow their muscles to repair - but a rest day could still include walking and swimming (assuming the other 6 days are more strenuous workouts). If it's not heavy or excessive workouts then doing every day shouldn't really be a problem. Just try to vary what you do so to give your body recovery time.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options

4 weights
    1 light cardio (to keep up my endurance)
  • vegetarian218
    vegetarian218 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 7 days a week but whenever I feel like it I do a long set of really low impact exercise instead of cardio so I still burn the calories. If I'm really tired, I skip a day. Anyhow, it works for me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    depends how you spread it out, but I work out 5 days per week averaging 1 hour per day.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Right now, because I'm doing a program. I'm getting a 1 day rest day. Prior to the program, I would give myself 2 days to rest. I will go back to my 2 days to rest.

My rest days means no exercise period.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i aim for at least 3 times per week (if i happen to be really busy) up 6 times at the most. You should always have a rest day.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    How many days you should excersize, depends entirely on what workout you are doing.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    2 heavy weights sessions. I am maintaining and it's more than enough.
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    Six days a week - 1 day off
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    At 57, I find that doing an interval training session every other day for 45 minutes is about right for me. On my "off' day, I walk or do gardening. I burn about 350-375 calories during my workout, and about 150-200 calories on my off day. So I burn about 1,800- 2,000 calories a week, but I look forward to it, so it isn't a burden.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    5-6 days for me I shoot for 6 but sometimes if I am away for weekend that does not happen :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I try for 5 days a week, but it varies a bit based on intensity of my workouts and how quickly my body recovers... I try to listen to my body regarding how hard and how often to woork out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I work out just about every day. I take one day a week off from my main exercise (Zumba) but on those days I usually still do some light calesthenics and resistance. I normally do the resistance 4-5 days a week. I rarely have a day where I do nothing at all.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I try to do something at least 5 days a week. I also try not to do the same thing two days in a row. So I may do 30 min on the treadmill, arms and abs on Monday and then 30 min on the ArcTrainer, legs and butt on Tuesday. I also try not to do more than 2 days in a row. That dosen't mean I don't walk the dog on the "day off"...I just don't consider it part of my exercise routine. I find that it works for me. I still, on occiasion do 7 days a week but then I do cardio only on the extra days and still keep the mix and a break with the strength training.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Does it matter if I do it everyday or 3 times a week, like can either be bad?

It depends what your goal is but generally yes. If they are fat loss and physique related too much exercise can be detrimental.

Your body has a finite ability to cope with stressors. Examples of stressors include calorie deficits, exercise, lack of sleep, emotional upsets and so on. They inhibit your recovery capacity making your routine inefficient.

Most people seem to forget that active recovery is an important part of fat loss and the time you spend out of the gym contributes as much to your success as the time you spend in it.

Personally, I don't see too much harm in daily cardio as long as it isn't all at high intensity, for very long periods of time if steady state and you are eating enough to support it. 2- 3 weights sessions, mixed with 3 cardio sessions on different days, with 1 day of full rest is more than enough for anyone. The cardio part is optional if your goals centre around looking good naked (as opposed to improving CV performance as well.) In other words, good diet plus 2-3 resistance training sessions a week is enough to get most people where they want to go.
  • ColeenNJ
    ColeenNJ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cycle 6 days per week, elliptical 5 days. Am about to add in toning exercises. My plan there is three times per week.