Curse of Colitis

Options
Hi guys!

My name is Zara. I'm a 25 year old and I just finished my PhD. Over the course of those 4 years I gained a little weight but was ready to get back into fitness after submitting my thesis. Unfortunately, a few day after I submitted I fell pretty ill and in November 2018 I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

I spent October to December in bed and was then taken into hospital for blood transfusions. For two weeks I was kept on IV steroids whilst they sorted out my medication and when I was discharged I was tapered off on oral steroid - oh the joys of moon face and an increased appetite. January was a blur thanks to cross reaction of the steroid and my medication but I am finally lucid now and really hoping to get back into fitness and lose some of the weight I gained over the past few months.

I'm hoping to make some friends and gain some motivation using myfitnesspal.

Replies

• youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your academic achievement!! That's a huge accomplishment. I'm 27 and just started taking online classes last year to finish my bachelor's degree.

I'm not terribly familiar with UC symptoms, or it's medications and their side effects, but I'm sure there will be some people who share your experience that may be happy to help you with some specifics, if there are any. Welcome, and best of luck to you!
  • jdv8622
    jdv8622 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Zara, very sorry to hear everything you've been through the past few months, but it's good to hear you're coming out of it finally. And congrats on your PhD!! Feel free to add and best of luck with everything!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are dealing with UC. I have Crohn's so I get it.
  • LisaMinn1
    LisaMinn1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had it through college. Finally got someone to suggest a homeopath. I was desperate and thankfully it was what I needed. It's been gone for decades. Don't be afraid to try something outside western medicine. I also have used acupuncture from time to time for pain with other things. Maybe it's worth a try?