You Booze, you definitely can't lose........

Options
So, I'm making it a goal to drink less alcohol. It is going to be sad, but I just have to! It's not like a "problem" or anything, so lets just annouce that right now. I have noticed though in the last 8 months, I have been drinking quite a bit more a week socially, than I used to. Last October, my husband and I moved in with each other for the first time (he was in the military so once we got married, I didn't move to where he was for a few months). We had SO much fun getting to know each other in a different way. We had never spent more than like a few days at a time together, and a few days at a time still occured even when he lived in the same state. We went out a lot, had fun a lot. Then a month later (November) I find out that I'm almost 3 months pregnant. I have never been pregant before, and I yes, I couldn't wait to have kids! BUT I did know that my husband and I had hoped and planned to wait a few years before starting to try and get pregnant. Some things don't wait for when you are ready. So, I stopped drinking, ate better, got books on pregnancy, etc. I was so excited, but also super sad that it was the first time my husband and I got to spend time together and party and have fun, yet, it was over for me. Finally I started getting excited about having a baby, and figured it was meant to be if it is just now happening. Tell the family, friends, put in on facebook, you know, the works lol.... then we had an appointment for our first ultra sounds and that is when we hear that the baby didn't make it. It was super rough, but it was bitter sweet, cause then I was able to focus on my marriage, according to planned.

Anyway, the point is I felt like I was able to go out and have fun and pary again, and that I might as well get it out of my system before I get pregnant again.....Thaaaaaat was in December. It's August. Almost September. Think I can calm down now......
So before I decided to blog on this, I was looking at people's success stories and I said to my husband "dang! This girl has lost 64 pounds!! Wooah how did this girl lose almost 20 pounds in 2 months!! Dang how are all these people losing weight so fast!" He responded, "they probably don't party as much as we do."

I worked out like crazy today, mainly to try and burn off some of the junk food I ate this weekend. When I say worked out hard, I mean a GOOD workout. My daily goal for calories is 1600, and I watched what I ate today because it was hard burning off the 2000 calories I did today. I logged in my meals, and after dinner I had used about 1450. So, since I still had like 2,000 extra calories overall, I figured I could make a few cocktails. So, I enjoyed 2 amaretto and cranberry juice drinks. I made a third, then sat and watched a movie with the husband and attempted to add my drinks in. After adding my 3 cocktails in, I had nearly 700 calories left. I was SHOCKED!!!! I looked at what I had entered and for 1.5oz amaretto, and about 1.5 cup cranberry juice TIMES the 2 I drank already and the one I was ABOUT to drink it would have equalled 980 CALORIES!!!! I definitely didn't finish my 3rd drink, I mean I made it for taste, not for a buzz or anything. AND 980 calories???? No way!!

So, seeming how when I do drink hard or party, I usually don't enter it into MFP app, we were talking about how easy it is to go over your calorie intake when you are drinking alcohol. Like, imagine if 3 times a week, I went over my calorie intake JUST with the alcohol by 1000-2000 calories??? uuuh of COURSE I'm not losing weight as fast as I want to!! HELLO Nicole!! So, my husband and I both decided to quit drinking as much as we do, maybe we don't need to get all ****-faced 3 times a week. BUT if we do want to go out and get crazy, we are going to plan ahead for it, and it will be something we actually do budget into our calorie intake. MAN, it's crazy how much drinking really doesn't do any justice when trying to lose weight.

Anyone have any good drink recipes that don't have so many calories? Maybe I should do soda water and lime? Anyone else quit drinking and found it a lot easier to lose weight? I'm gonna try it out, I mean after all, what's the point of trying to be all healthy, if I'm just cancelling all my hard work out with some fruity alcoholic beverage? I might as well be working out with a cigarette in my mouth..... ps, I've seen it happen- people running outside while smoking. Silly-billy's

Feel free to add me if you would like some motivation/are motivating! It's always helpful!! :)

Replies

• NicoleRene1029
    Options
    woooah!! I didn't realize how long this post was! Sorry!! I was just typing away................................................................ :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I gained 8# in the first 6 wks after the last deployment. Then I joined Mfp and out why: 2800 cal/ day from alcohol?!?

Now I know if i'm going to drink, I hit my workout hard, and/or watch what I eat, and stick to shots with water in between or mix the alcohol with diet beverages.
  • kaycee526
    kaycee526 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! My ex and I drank socially A LOT (like 4 or 5 nights a week) and the weight just piled on. However I have found some ways to lose weight and still have a drink every now and then. First, I stopped drinking as often as I was. Second, when I knew I was going to have a night out with the girls that week I would plan for it. Do an extra workout that day or save some calories from the day before. I think the most important thing was that I planned for it and counted it in my food log.

I have found a few drinks that I enjoy that are less calories as well. Have you ever had malibu coconut rum? It tastes really good with diet dr pepper, and it only has 52 calories an ounce so you're getting to have a drink for around 50 calories if you use diet dr pepper. Also, I like a vodka tonic but I use diet tonic. An ounce of vodka has roughly 70 calories (depending on the vodka you use) and diet tonic has zero so you're getting a drink for 70 calories. Those aren't really options I can have when I'm out at a bar with friends because most dont carry diet dr pepper and diet tonic but when I'm out with friends I will stick with light beer or a rum and diet coke.

I hope this helps! I'm hoping some other people post some new lower cal recipes for me to try too!
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use to like a couple mich ultras at night, which isnt much calories but I have read that drinking makes it harder to lose weight. I cut those out and now will just have an occasional drink. Last week I had 2 vodka and diet cherry 7 up, it wasnt bad. I am going to limit it though to once a week or so.
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately alcohol itself is almost as high in calories per gram as fat! (Alcohol has 7 calories per gram, fat has 9) I almost always go over my calorie goal when I drink, even if I'm trying to be careful.

It'd definitely be better to choose low-calorie mixers, and stay away from frozen drinks like margaritas and fruity mixed drinks. If you're drinking to get drunk, shots are great with sips of other non-alcohol containing beverages in between. One of my favorites is to do a shot of spiced rum, followed by orange soda (sipping, of course, so it'll last). And definitely drink water!!!
  • krstnmuir
    Options
    Ha Ha... I enjoy my cocktails as well.. and being a military spouse there are no shortages of opportunities to have a couple. I try not to overindulge, and I have a few low calorie drinks I love.... 2oz Gin+ 2oz club soda+ 1oz fresh lime+ splash grenadine+maybe dash of splenda
    red wine, low cal, yum. I also discovered I like raspberry crystal light disolved in club soda with vodka, it's like a refreshing sparkly yummy drink. : You'll probably feel a lot better, sleep better etc... once cut back on your drinking, but on those occasions.. enjoy! Cheers.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ya thats really long..and i didnt read a bit of it.

i drink and i lose just fine
  • NicoleRene1029
    Options
    Thanks you guys!!! Those are all super helpful! I sure do wish I could be more like xraychick77 and just "drink and lose just fine" but until then, thanks for all the helpful tips/alternatives! I will definitely put them into action later! :)
  • NicoleRene1029
    Options
    Ok, so after all your advice I've decided to give up alcohol for 2 weeks. And after the two weeks try your guys' advice and try to switch juice and all that sugar mixers to some other light/better choices! Thanks again for all your tips!