OT and TMI: Mirena IUD, didn't know where else to go

Options
Hi ladies,

I've asked a question on here about the Mirena IUD before, and judging by the responses I got there are more than a few of you who have it. I had mine inserted eleven days ago, during my period. It extended my period by a couple days and then the cramping and spotting all but stopped. My boyfriend came home last week and after an intense bedroom session (TMI I know) the next day I started to bleed again. Its been three days since then, and I'm concerned that something could have happened with the IUD to cause the spotting to pick up again. I know from the manufacturer's information that the bleeding can last 3-6 months but i'm still slightly worried. Ultrasound to check placement isn't for a week and its tough to get in to see my doctor so I was thinking about going to the sexual health clinic to see if anyone there could help answer my questions and ease my concerns. Any personal experiences or sdvice on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ashanti1982
    Options
    Hi, I have the mirena and i got spotting for the first few months and cramps as well, I think it's because the mirena makes the lining of your womb thinner hence the no periods eventually. Tbh, when it happened to me I went to get checked just to be on the safe side, you can also get your boyf to check (i won't say how TMI). It's very unlikely its been dislodged through your bedroom session as they make sure It's pretty secure when they insert it.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts different to the Mirena.

I have not had ANY spotting since the day after I got it inserted.

My friend got hers a couple months before me, and bled for 4 months straight.

There's not sure answer, but if you are worried, seeing your doctor would be your best bet.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Most people spot and bleed for the first month or so, so your experience sounds ok for now. When i was fitted i discovered i was one of the small number of people for whom it just doesn't work well. After ten months of spotting i had it removed.

I'd say give it a month or two and see how you're getting on.
  • RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    Oh honey, I'm sure you are fine. I've had an IUD for 15 years and a lot of crazy sex... never once has it budged out of place. The break thru bleeding is perfectly normal. I know this is TMI too... but it will help you. The way an IUD (any kind) is put in, there is a course little string that hangs down just a little bit. You or your boyfriend can feel to make sure that it is still there. As long as it's there... you're all good! Just relax and know that everything will be fine. go ahead and go to the doctor to get peace of mind. but until then listen to all of us ladies who have already been in your shoes. We are all still doing great. You will too. :happy: