Ideal Protein

Hi!

I started a new plan with Ideal Protein (phase 1) looking for others who are also on the program that want/need support and encouragement.

I have been a yo-yo most my life - and I am at another high weight point and now trying to work it all off again. My last lost was 80lbs kept it off for a year or so and then regained. Hoping the plan will help me focus on long lasting eating habits so this can seriously be my last major loss!

Cheers to everyone here making a difference in their lives!

Please send a friend request :)

Replies

• silvercs2
    silvercs2 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi!

This is my first post 😁

I'm on day 1, phase 1 of Ideal Protein. I feel like I've been on a diet, or starting a diet, or thinking that I SHOULD be on a diet/starting a diet my whole life. A co-worker had great success on IP, so I thought I'd give it a try. Not a lot of food, but that's a diet, right?

Cheers, good luck, and I'd love to share experiences! Always better with a friend!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    From https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ideal-protein-diet#drawbacks
    May Experience Uncomfortable Symptoms

Another downside of the Ideal Protein Diet is its drastic reduction in calorie intake.

For instance, most of its meals have less than 200 calories, which means you may be consuming under 1,000 total calories per day.

Such restricted diets are not recommended — unless advised by a doctor — for children, pregnant or breastfeeding women, adults 65 and older and adults with certain medical conditions.

Reducing your calorie intake so sharply may cause side effects, such as:

Hunger
    Nausea
    Dizziness
    Headaches
    Fatigue
    Constipation
    Cold intolerance
    Hair thinning and hair loss
    Gallstones
    An irregular menstrual cycle

If the Ideal Protein Diet impedes your quality of life, consider going off it.

Summary
    The Ideal Protein Diet has many drawbacks, including cost, highly processed foods, severe dietary restrictions, limited geographic availability and potentially serious side effects.

And to answer your question, a weight-reduction diet does involve reduced calories but it shouldn't be that low. 1000 calories is what a sedentary toddler requires. (Source: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/estimated-calorie-requirement). This diet has you regularly going below that.

• kjma430
    kjma430 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all! Glad this group is open! Im on week 6 of IP and stalling :( i lost 15lbs the first month, but now the scale will NOT move for the last 2 weeks. I've heard cheating can actually help the weight loss if you cheat with the right things...like fats! It makes sense to me because too much protein is actually treated like carbs by your body, and you can be storing it like fat instead of burning it. Anyone else stuck?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Structured diets like this and many others may help you lose weight quickly but consider the fact that almost all of these types of diets result in the weight returning once the diet has ended.

Sustained weight loss comes from changing habits...eating and exercise. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it's called a lifestyle change. If you want to lose weight quickly and eventually gain it all back and more, it's called a (fad) diet.

The other problem is that these types of diets can contain some pretty nasty ingredients and can be costly. An example of this is Weight Watchers. A few years ago they provided their own brand of foods that you purchased as a part of the diet. These packaged meals had a list of ingredients as long as your arm (lots of chemicals) and were loaded with sodium, which is really bad for weight loss. People lost weight, yes, but they ended up gaining it all back.

A recent US study proved that diets like the one you are on usually fail. The failure rate was a whopping 85%. Failure meaning that within a year of stopping the diet, participants gained most or all of the weight loss back.

If you really want to lose weight and keep it off you simply have to eat healthy with little or no packaged foods, and exercise regularly, incorporating both cardio and weight/resistance exercise. It's a slow journey but it's highly effective.

There really is no better way.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    I echo the other sentiments. Firstly you don’t need to be hungry while on a calorie restriction, it starts with proper balanced food choices. As well starting out on a diet with such a horrible starting point will more often than not lead to failure, even if it’s after temporary success. The solution is simple, eat a healthy well balanced diet, stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Also we need to stop calling it a diet, it has to be a lifestyle change in eating. This is the only sustainable plan, that has any hope of long term success. Other wise we end up being the person who fails quickly on a diet, or suffers through a weight loss journey only to regain it all again after we reach a goal. Unfortunately the magic bullet that we look for with weight loss is never the diet with the catchy name plastered across the pages of the health magazines with a marketing plan behind it, it’s just the boring, non-flashy life of eating healthy unprocessed food, it’s really that simple