Anyone with blood pressure issues after weight loss?

Options
Hi there, I have been having this issue with my blood pressure and would like to know if any of you have similar experiences. After losing a lot of weight (nearly 60lbs), I am having major problems with my blood pressure being very low. This shows when for example I am laying on the bed and then stand up, I get very nauseous and dizzy, having to grab something so I don't fall. I even lose vision sometimes. I talked to my doctor about it and she said it will go away after some time but it has been nearly 2 years and it hasn't gotten any better.
I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions and similar experiences.
Thanks!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Clearly it's not going away, I'd go back to that doctor and insist on testing or something being done. Low blood pressure is not to be taken lightly. If she still won't do anything, tell her to at least note in your file that you've had this issue for two years and she's refusing to treat you for it.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    That sounds like postural hypotension rather than general low blood pressure, but definitely go back to your doctor.

(I've suffered postural hypotension since losing weight, but I also have vague memories of getting dizzy when standing up back when I was a young teen, before I gained most of said weight. So in my case at least I don't think that's a side effect of weight loss, I think it's a side effect of being me)
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definitely bring this up to your doctor. I would phrase it in a way that let them know you have already brought this up years ago like: "two years ago I complained of (details) and you advised me that should probably go away on its own, but it hasn't. What is the next step?" If at this point, you do not receive help for this issue, it is time to go through the hassle of changing doctors.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry you have had this reception from your doctor. I agree with the poster above, you need to go back or find another doctor, low blood pressure does need to be looked into. I can't remember the mechanism but there is one which predisposes some to low blood pressure. My father was one though they did not know that much about it getting on for 30 years ago. I can imagine you may well experience some issues when standing from a chair or similar. I have no idea of your vintage and were you mine (retired) and probably living alone, I would say, symptoms as you describe could be problematic. Wishing you all the very best and hope you find some appropriate help soon.
  • Icy_Fox
    Icy_Fox Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the positive replies! I guess I will have to book another appointment with the doctor, though I hate how she pins every issue I have on either weight loss, overworking while exercising or stress. Literally everything...
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you desperately need to find a different doctor you need a fresh approach. I'm so sorry to be so blunt and I realise it is not always an easy thing to do.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Icy_Fox wrote: »
    Thank you for the positive replies! I guess I will have to book another appointment with the doctor, though I hate how she pins every issue I have on either weight loss, overworking while exercising or stress. Literally everything...

If you are over working during exercise or possibly over training, this can cause a whole host of issues including low BP. I had it last year, I was referred to a cardiologist and wore a Holter Monitor for 48 hours to rule out cardiovascular issues. Was not determined what caused it, but I rebounded shortly after.

I ended up re-gaining 5 pounds back, watching my exercise, sodium and hydration as well as diet were all in check. It can be exercise, the weight loss, dietary, anything really. But not to be taken lightly as your doctor seems to be. You might want to get some blood work too to assure you are not deficient in anything through your diet.

Best of luck.