Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Slowly reverting back to more junk

Hi all, I've been doing pretty well the last 9 or so weeks since starting on Mfp. At first I made small changes and knowing this is about lifestyle changes rather than crash dieting I have switched to healthy eating as much as I can. So I have now reached the point where I usually start with a healthy oatmeal breakfast (slowly cutting back on honey), drink lots of water and swapped some of my coffees for green tea. Portion sizes have reduced and I am exercising lightly to moderately I'm some form nearly every day. I did have a few binge days but got back on the horse so as to speak.

However of late I'm finding that some boredom is creeping in. While I am still hitting my goals (on average) and am making progress in losing weight I can't help but notice that my consumption of junk food is starting to creep back. Eg I started this morning with banana bread rather than oatmeal and and have been eating more "fatty foods" like lasagna. I cant stand green tea any more and am going back to my coffee (and biscuits). And funnily enough I am craving more sweet and fatty junk food once again, it almost seems like the return of an addiction. I am trying to keep a lid on it but it's annoying - I thought that I would have settled into a healthier frame of mind by now!

Have any of you experienced a similar "boredom" (even though you may still be on goal)? What have you done about it? For those who have stuck with it for much longer, does it get any easier? Should I succumb to slowly eating more junk as long as I am meeting my calorie goals? Or should I be tough on myself and make myself go back to healthier choices?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    if you are getting bored of the things you are eating, maybe its time to find some new things, that are healthy but also tasty and fit into your cals, so u dont always fancy junk food?

Maybe try the recipe section here? and mix up the exercise/try something new so you have a new challenge.

at the end of the day you have to find the right balance for you, so that you can stick to it. maybe try having a treat meal at the weekend, so you have something to look forward to if you have stuck to your healthy plan all week?
  • Carol_27
    Carol_27 Posts: 40
    I completely agree with the first post, great thought and I agree. Whenever you get bored and you are now very aware that you are starting to fall back on old bad habits then you really need to do something about it now while you still have a handle over it.

Go through the internet, I personally love websites that are geared towards low fat/high protein recipes like:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/healthy-recipes/low-calorie/300-calories-or-less-per-serving/main.aspx

there are even websites that offer 1 months worth of low calorie meal recipes that are interesting, not too difficult and can help keep you motivated. Also stay prepared, if you know that you have usually a craving something sweet in the morning and then again around 4 or 3pm then be prepared for that, pack your breakfast and a healthy snack for later...the bottom line is dont let yourself go backwards and stay motivated...good luck!
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    I do exactly the same! Changing the recipes around is a good idea, and maybe finding healthier ways to cook your favorites like lasagna. making sure you don't have junk in the house is really important for me because it is much easier to be disciplined for one hour a week than several times a day. Don't forget that in the new lifestyle there is still room for the things you enjoy, but choose healthier versions, smaller portions and eat the unhealthy stuff less frequently. If you try to cut them out completely you are likely to fall off the wagon in a big way! Good luck.