Is alcohol stopping you from achieving your goals?

Options
I have stopped drinking and initially it took theee weeks to see the positives on the scale of dropping. I eat healthy, workout ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ and thankful for being sober.

Is alcohol impacting you? After I have stopped drinking itโ€™s amazing of all the benefits.

Where are you?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I find it's not. I spent a good bit of time overseas in countries where alcohol is forbidden and it made absolutely no difference to my weight.

I drink now, albeit rarely, but still lose weight, of course there are other benefits to reducing alcohol intake for a lot of people, particularly if it's being overdone or relied upon but in terms of the scale, if you drink in moderation and log it as you would anything else that has calories it has little impact.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Personally, not really. I don't often casually drink so it doesn't makes a big impact. I'll have what, a couple of days in a month when I drink a reasonable amount, and then another couple of days when I'll have a glass of wine, but that's about it. I will have times when I go weeks without having a drink, without really thinking about it.

Of course, if you drink a lot, then cutting it out (or reducing it) generally does make a big difference. It's normally a lot more calories than most people think.
  • kathakraz
    kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I thought it was, but apparently I'm perfectly capable of making bad food decisions without having consumed alcohol. Like, last night I mixed an entire 8 oz package of lowfat cream cheese with a crapload of sugar and ate the whole thing.

I guess cutting back has helped in that I didn't have to account for additional alcohol calories on top of my ridiculous food choices.

Cutting back has made my sleep a lot better, though.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nope
    calories impact my weight loss. cake, vodka, cheese w/e
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I account for the calories, my weight behaves exactly as expected.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Sleep is better for me as well. I feel also without alcohol that I am working out harder! ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I guess cutting back has helped in that I didn't have to account for additional alcohol calories on top of my ridiculous food choices.

This for me. I'm losing weight again. Now that my husband has started baking as a hobby, I gotta make cuts somewhere, and his bread is just amazing. As much as I do miss it, I'd rather give up the booze.
  • shawnt85
    shawnt85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Alcohol was definitely an issue for me. The way people mindlessly snack is the way i mindlessly drink wine. I could finish a bottle a day over the weekend. I haven't cut it from my diet, I just no longer drink in the house for now. I can still go to happy hour and have a glass while out to dinner but right now being home and bored is too much of a trigger.

I hope to be able to work it back into the house once I've built up some better habits.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It is not the alcohol, it is the fact that I binge eat when I drink.
    No alcohol, less binge eating...simple for me.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    โ€œWhoever drinks beer, he is quick to sleep; whoever sleeps long, does not sin; whoever does not sin, enters Heaven! Thus, let us drink beer!โ€

โ€• Martin Luther

Well.... Maybe - maybe not - but I like the idea... No, drinking occasionally has not affected my weight management.
  • stevee303
    stevee303 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love real ale/craft beer and I drink on 2 days at the weekend (not excessively) in my local with family, friends and neighbours. I really look forward to it every week and I really enjoy it.

This is a lot less than I was drinking before I started on my weight loss journey but I decided at the outset it was something I would try to factor in if possible.

I make allowance for it in my weekly calories and have been losing weight steadily.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Vodka water lime beats all the cake in the world.

Not french fries though. Nor pizza.

I just account for the alcohol. I enjoy a cocktail. Not giving it up.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As long as you account for your alcohol calories, all is good. I lost over 70# (and have kept them off for over 4 years) and enjoyed my nightly vodka. Still do.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have stopped drinking and initially it took theee weeks to see the positives on the scale of dropping. I eat healthy, workout ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ and thankful for being sober.

Is alcohol impacting you? After I have stopped drinking itโ€™s amazing of all the benefits.

Where are you?

Sat on the sofa with a glass of wine beside me.

It's a rather bitter cab sav so I'll not be drinking this one to excess :s
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    No, but I also drink casually and never to excess. It's rare that I have more than the equivalent 1 pint of cider a week, and it isn't uncommon for me to not drink for weeks on end. That said, alcohol has never been an issue for me period.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    It is for me. I do really well at logging my calories during the week but I will then got out and drink at the weekend and between the calories in the alcohol (craft beer has a lot of calories) and the difficulties of estimating and logging bar food I can completely wipe out my deficit. I wouldn't say that I drink to excess but it's really hard to fit it into my 1400 calories without eating too little.

My plan is to not eat back my exercise calories so that these can be used for beer calories!
  • LilMsEnergy1
    LilMsEnergy1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ๐Ÿ˜ I think so...that white wine spritzer or 2 seems to take me over my allowance. If not wine bread lol