Afraid of weighing in

Options
How can you get over the fear of what will be on the scale, yet knowing you’ve been doing everything as you should??

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    ER, just do it ?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and track my trend. Takes the emotional knee-jerk reaction out of it and turns them into interesting little data points. This approach isn't for everyone, but it works for quite a few of us around here. Libra (Android), Happy Scale (Apple), and Trendweight (PC, linked to Fitbit) are the generally recommended apps if you're interested.
  • Lilmamawoz
    Lilmamawoz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I'm just pissed off every day rather than thrown into a rage one day a week😖 Seriously though it's whatever works for you.
    But in all seriousness I have had great workouts all week (4 days) and have been at or under my calorie count and have not lost an ounce. That. Is. Depressing.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Try tracking other metrics of health instead of only relying on the scale for validation of progress. Measure waist circumference, or distance walked/run/cycled. If you lift weights are you able to lift more? Those types of things. The scale will not always move down even if you do everything "right". Your body isn't a perfect closed circut machine. Lots of things impact scale weight so find other things to track for that validation of progress. The scale will lose its power over time but right now, it's the only thing your looking to to see if you've "done it".
  • BSTLIFE84
    BSTLIFE84 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get like this if I’ve skipped weighing in for awhile. Get on for instant motivation !
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Try to accept the ups and downs and practice being less emotional about it. Letting the scale wreck your day or week is a reaction you can change. Be careful about tying your happiness up with a lower number too. That number doesn’t define your self worth. More frequent weight-ins give you more chances to practice a better mindset as well as look at weight trends instead of a snapshot.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that unknown becomes bigger in our mind than it has to be. It’s just a number that, by itself, doesn’t mean a lot. A month of daily weigh-ins gives me a pattern and something to work with.

If you know, it means you can do something about it.

I personally weigh myself every day. If I leave it a long time, especially if I know I’m off track, that’s a problem. Avoiding doesn’t solve anything.

You can do this!
  • Lilmamawoz
    Lilmamawoz Posts: 33 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have noticed my work uniforms are fitting better. I am feeling like less of a stuffed sausage in them😄
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Well, if you are starting your weight loss journey... weighing yourself is most helpful. You need to know where you're starting. If weighing all the time bothers you.. then just weigh yourself every week or two weeks. But, you need to know if you are making progress that you are doing things right. Remember ..the number is just going to go down.

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid too! I want to know but I also don't!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    How can you get over the fear of what will be on the scale, yet knowing you’ve been doing everything as you should??

By realising it's just one tool of many to track your progress. You can also use measurements, progress pictures, the fit of your clothes. If you have truly been doing everything as you should then there will be progress of some kind even if you don't see it on the scale.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid, its simply a tool to guide you on your journey. If its up, you can review and determine why its up. Maybe you've put on some muscle. Maybe it was a bad week. If its down, you can celebrate. If its the same, but you've got other non scale victories, you can celebrate that too. Its just a number, it shouldn't define you.