Fitness Success in the "Real" World

Options
I just wanted to share some of my recent fitness related real world successes. I went on a hike/climb with a friend over the weekend and the experience really reminded me that fitness and health is about more than losing weight or getting that ripped body you always dreamed of, it's really about improving your body and your mind.

I'm currently in week 7 of P90x classic and I've been bodyrocking for about 6 months now (I also do interval running and mountain biking as well) and while I have seen some really positive changes in my body, the most exciting changes I've seen have been in my endurance, my strength and my mind.

I climbed the Zugspitze (Germany's highest peak) on Sunday with a friend of mine, typically a 8-9 hour climb with some straight hiking sections, a glacier section that requires crampons and 2 fixed rope rock climbing sections. We did it in 7 hours and 45 minutes. My climbing partner, who's been hiking and climbing for a lot longer than I have, told me that I basically "ran up" the last rock face to the summit. I've also never passed anyone on a rock face before, but this time I passed 6 people!

I'm obviously pleased with my increased endurance, strength and speed, but most importantly I realized that over the past few months I've made the most gains in my confidence. I have confidence that my body can handle whatever I ask it to do. It's really amazing what our bodies are actually capable of. I have confidence in my physical strength, but most importantly in my mental strength. I'm convinced now more than ever that a lot of endurance is mental. There's a mental strength required to push your body to its limits and to keep going when you're exhausted and ready to give up.

So I guess this is a more serious NSV than usual, but I think it's a good reminder that we are all changing in ways we don't even realize yet. So keep up the good work and keep pushing yourself!

Replies

• blackroses000
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing :)
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Nice one!

I'm aiming to loose a bit of weight to look better, but I'm increasing my fitness and strength so I can play harder, just as you have described!

I always wonder what people do after they have lost weight for their wedding or holiday etc. What motivates them after that?

Having a plan for fitness that improves your play time, to me, keeps it a lifelong plan.
  • cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - congratulations on all your hard work. And you're right, it's great when you really recognise the pay off. The hike sounds awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!