Americans have it so much better than us in UK/Ireland

Options

Replies

• futurefitgirl88
    Options
    www.hungrygirl.com this website has amazing low-cal recipe alternatives!! and pretty much all the ingredients she uses (e.g. tofu mock pasta like 40cal portion) is only found in america!! thats what i mean .... haha I suppose food is much better out here.... but seriously...also a lot of fat people. I feel like I'm normal weight when im in UK ...when I come to visit Asia...that's another story!!!
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    boots has some really nice snacks / drinks in its shapers collection,
    also sainsburys be good to yourself brand is good! and marks & spencers has a free from, low fat, low sugar brand to that is really good alsooo xx
  • StrawberrySprinkles
    Options
    All those 100 cal packs of things are not good for you, yes some MFP'ers use them out of desperation (i.e. movie night with family) but the majority of us here recognize them for what they are - marketing ploys.

Not only are they processed in general but the "diet" foods all have additional added chemicals and sugar to make things low-cal or fat free, nasty!

Those Fat-Free Pringles that came out in the USA a few years ago never made it out of the US (I'm in Canada) b/c anal leakage just isn't a cute side effect of diet products.

Check out the threads for fun and filling snacks.

Plus they charge you 25% or more for those little packages when you get more and a better value by not buying the prepackaged snacks. I suppose this is mainly aimed at those who have a little difficulty with self control. :tongue:
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    We also have a fast food joint on every corner. I can drive five miles in any direction of my house and find AT LEAST 4 McDonald's.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I'm kinda glad I don't live in America (Dublin girl living in Meath married to a french man!). Alot of their food is pre-packaged and not healthy.

I prefer to buy fresh veg etc and cook myself. At least I know what goes into it. Even my snacks I make myself from scratch. It isn't easy but at least I can cut down on sugar etc. I don't believe in buying Weight watchers food etc as I think they are a marketing ploy. I bake alot also and cut down on fat/sugar/make a healthy scone so I can have the nice things in life but a healthier version.

I buy mixed ground seeds from any supermarket, health food shop. Tesco do lean meats. Aldi are great for veg and Lidl is revamping at the minute and their veg is good also. I bulk buy meats like chicken fillets and freeze them. Make my own food for lunches in work.

I see alot of people on MFP who have lost 100lbs+ and they are in the states (who I totally admire BTW). People in Ireland/UK generally don't have that amount to lose on average as convience is such a major factor to obesity in the US.
  • laboutingal
    Options
    The only thing I am envious of is how many different flavours of "Laughing Cow" cheese you guys in America have! Seriously - here in Ireland we only have the original swiss flavour, light and extra light.

Cheese envy! :love:
  • akgary
    akgary Posts: 52
    Options
    lol what? America has one of the biggest obesity problems in the world! Yes we have pre-portioned foods, but they're also all loaded with calories and salt. And all of our "diet" foods are loaded up on sodium to keep them "preserved." Trust me, it's not that great here :P

have you ever been outta the country? im from the usa and live in germany there is a ton of over weight people here and i totally see what she's saying theres not alot of options here. in the us there is just more options in more places. this is what i have noticed over here. and every food ive gotton over here they try and load it full of some kind of sauce on it so i have to be very specific that i dont want some kind of weird sauce on my food and i definatly dont want french fries with every meal.
  • mcguink
    mcguink Posts: 15
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from living in Ireland myself, but to be honest I think what most of the replies have said before me is bang on, most of those U.S 'diet' products are pumped full of sugar and processed chemical crap.

If you're havign a chocolate craving why not buy 'funsize' chocolate bars or individual portions rathar than multipacks etc.
    Fill up on fruit and dried fruit as much as possible for sweet cravings becuase although they still contain sugar, it's natural sugar. I sprinkle cinnamon on fruit/yogurt/porridge etc to give me the sweet taste but the great thing about cinnamon is it helps to regulate your blood sugar hence preventing the huge blood suagr surges and crashes.

Hope this helps,
    Indie :-)
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I believe the U.S. also allows a lot more "crap" to be put in our food than Europe allows. Generally foods made to be "low fat" have chemicals added to them to make them taste good while being low fat. We also have HFCS in just about every food product made here.

Try eating whole foods made at home instead of packaged foods.

This.

The FDA isn't as protective as people would like to believe. There are plenty of foods that are sold to American's that other countries refuse to allow for one reason or another.

Consider yourself blessed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    .....I just feel like Americans have so much better food choices ...aimed at people who are on diet. Much more low-fat choices, low-cal choices, bagged portion size things, nicer snacks, non dairy ice creams, and what not!! All these crazy alternatives to stuff!!!

I don't get none of that in tesco or dunnes over here!!! Or maybe I'm just being blind?? the only "diet" item I buy is diet-freakin-coke and skimmed milk!

So any of u guys from UK/Ire find any products in Tesco/Dunnes which are worth looking at?? Which help you diet-wise? Thanks a million!

Tesco isnt the only supermarket in the uk....
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking I think diet foods are bad anyway, regardless of the country you live in. Most times the salt is upped, fat is replaced by sugar or the sugar is replaced by sweetener, the safety of which is still being debated,.

I think they also encourage a false idea of what is healthy and what isn't - a false diet economy, if you like. I prefer a portion control approach. I eat what I want, but in reasonable proportions. I need to learn what I can get away with healthily. I need to learn what is a healthy size of something for me. Not be told I can eat this, that and the other because they've been altered.

And have you ever eaten one of those pre-prepared diet meals? Thy're titchy, teeny meals! I would rather load up on good food, lean meats, veg, unprocessed carbs etc. and curb my hunger than having a Barbie sized meal and feeling short-changed and hungry.

I think that is also where MFP comes in, because there are calories left over for me to eat 'the naughty stuff'. But instead of eating two, three packs I can see that one is enough. Healthy choices and 'treat food' in moderation. I need educating, not duping.
  • stormbaby
    stormbaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think the major advantage Americans have over the Brits is that your nutritional labelling is so much better than ours. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you have a standard label that appears on all food packaging. We need that in the UK!

Most of the time we just get the absolute basics (values per 100g) and that's OK, but the other day I was checking the nutritional values of an item I'd just bought and although it gave me this basic information, it didn't bother to specify how much the item itself actually weighed! Completely useless. (Although I suppose I could have just weighed it myself, but who wants to work that hard? lol)

American labels also specify values such as 'Calories from Fat', this is something which would be useful to know especially for those on certain diets.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think we do alright here in the UK.
    If I were richer I could easily live off Marks and Spencers food and be super healthy. They do amazing salads, pre-prepared fruit and snacks, plus some really 'clean' ready meals. Just a shame it would cost too much.

But seriously, we have such a huge range of fresh produce and some truly inspirational chefs on TV. Check out Thomasina Miers new show on Channel5, she does gorgeous, healthy authentic Mexican food. I tried the sweetcorn and green chilli soup last night and LOVED it.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Two words FRUIT & VEGETABLES
  • mayla95
    mayla95 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a French girl and when I see some products you've got in A merica I can't believe people eat that maybe because my food culture! I like America and the people but not american food (.I'm not speaking about the cooking but the products used in...) and the servings are so big
    Hope I don't offend people
  • GettingFitterVicki
    GettingFitterVicki Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've never been to America, not yet, but have friends who couldn't believe the amount that got served up at restaurants! I'm sure it's not at all, but many do seem to pile it on - from a Brits perspective anyway.

As for UK shops, Waitrose is lovely for good, healthy food. Bit pricier though, that's the only downer. We currently can't afford to shop there as Tesco/Aldi does come up a lot cheaper for us. Shopping at lower price shops doesn't mean you have to choose only very processed food though, just read labels and be a bit picky.
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    we might have a lot of alternatives but we also have a lot of bad choices in my 2.4 mile wide town we have a wendy's, mcdonalds, burger king, kfc, 7 pizza places, 3 Chinese places, and 2 diners. all within the 2.4 mile wide town!

and yes we have nutrition labels that are on all our food that are the same.
  • Anniejazz
    Anniejazz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't agree. So many low fat, low calorie alternatives are low 'food' too. We have fresh fruit snd vegetables, those who eat meat have access to low fat meats, duck as turkey. The only 'diet' food I use is diet coke and that is because I only want to drink so much water. We only need to choose well to eat well.:smile:
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of "reduced fat" or "low calorie" options are actually not that much different from normal options!! Yes you may save a few calories here and there but I'd sooner use some extra calories and enjoy what I eat?

Take bread for example - Hovis Nimble is 48 cals per slice but it is mainly air, I'd sooner have a proper slice of small wholemeal bread for 60 cals !!

Same with humous - yes the low cal version may save you a few calories but it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice!

You can find lower calorie alternatives for most foods without turning to "diet versions". If you want something pasta based go for the wholemeal version. If you want potaoes swap roast / jacket for new potatoes etc..

The only things I buy that are diet are the occasional ready meal from M&S (Fuller for Longer range - under 400 cals) that is probably less than once a month.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    I shop at tesco and try and get low fat or fat free alternatives all the time! for example: fat free cottage cheese/yoghurts. Low fat margarine and half fat cheese. You can also get walkers baked and a lot of the meat has really lean versions.

Oh I recently discovered tesco light choices beef steak mince (frozen) I can't believe how low in fat it is!
    And tesco's light choices cake bars have 0.3 g of fat in them too! Cheaper then weight watchers :)