Alternative Carbs/Sides?

Options
When I eat my dinner/tea, I tend to have either rice, pasta or sweet potato with some form of fish or chicken. Any ideas as to how to switch it up a bit as playing around with only these 5 foods (on top of veg) can get a bit bland. I also don’t think I can substitute any of these for just salad as I am very fussy when it comes to that. Thank you!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    right now i am LOVING cauliflower rice with either liquid amino acids (or soya sauce) OR two wegdes of laughing cow cheese.

i also make a funky coleslaw i quite like. i'll see if i can find the recipie but it's mostly a bag of broccoli slaw, 1/4cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon hoison sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil and a red pepper chopped up.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Do you like baked potatoes? Tortillas? Couscous? Quinoa? Beans?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I like roasted acorn squash, beets, and golden beets. Sheet pan roasting all kinds of veggies such as red onion, carrots, and red cabbage are also good. Then of course different kinds of grains and legumes as mentioned above.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »

i also make a funky coleslaw i quite like. i'll see if i can find the recipie but it's mostly a bag of broccoli slaw, 1/4cup rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon hoison sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil and a red pepper chopped up.

That sounds yummy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    ToddeyD wrote: »
    When I eat my dinner/tea, I tend to have either rice, pasta or sweet potato with some form of fish or chicken. Any ideas as to how to switch it up a bit as playing around with only these 5 foods (on top of veg) can get a bit bland. I also don’t think I can substitute any of these for just salad as I am very fussy when it comes to that. Thank you!

No need to switch up the starches and proteins if you switch up the spices :smiley:

Try different ethnic cuisines? You can have allrecipes.com email you recipe suggestions based on "tastes" you select https://www.allrecipes.com/cook/my/profile-settings/?tab=tastePrefs&internalSource=tasteprefbutton&referringContentType=home page (you'll have to create a login first.)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My supermarket sells spiralized vegetable noodles. I've found I love roasting butternut squash noodles. Turnip noodles are great in a stirfry with sweet and sour sauce.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Potatoes, any grains (there are millions), or beans or lentils or quinoa or corn or peas. I'm going by the fact you said you were fine with veg and wanted starches, although I often have a couple or more of veg in lieu of starch.

There are also lots of different kinds of pasta, including black bean or lentil pasta, Asian noodles of various kinds, also starch options include gnocchi and spaetzle, grits.
  • ToddeyD
    ToddeyD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you like baked potatoes? Tortillas? Couscous? Quinoa? Beans?

Yes love tortillas and baked potato’s! What suggestions for fillings? Never really had Quinoa or Couscous however, where shall I start?
  • ToddeyD
    ToddeyD Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ToddeyD wrote: »

No need to switch up the starches and proteins if you switch up the spices :smiley:

Try different ethnic cuisines? You can have allrecipes.com email you recipe suggestions based on "tastes" you select https://www.allrecipes.com/cook/my/profile-settings/?tab=tastePrefs&internalSource=tasteprefbutton&referringContentType=home page (you'll have to create a login first.)

Sadly it won’t let me make an account here in the UK 👎🏻
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Can you not eat anything in a sauce, eg a curry? Or as a stir fry. It'll make your meals more interesting because the way you describe it sounds, we'll, dry and flavourless.
  • ouryve
    Options
    And if you're in the UK, well we're second only to the Indian subcontinent for Indian cuisine!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Roasted brussel sprouts sprinkled with a little parmesan! Yum!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Was spaghetti squash mentioned?

Try this for couscous or quinoa (which I use interchangeably).

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/seasoned-couscous/
  • ouryve
    Options
    Aye, woo. Clearly someone doesn't like spicy food.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    They aren't low-carb but I'm obsessed with parnsips and will eat them any way that I eat a potato
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    And if you're in the UK, well we're second only to the Indian subcontinent for Indian cuisine!

I love the range of Indian food we get in the UK. I was amazed that Indian food in London is totally different to Indian food in Birmingham which is different to Indian food in Manchester etc.. I love the South Indian cuisine that I can get in my area (South West London) but I do miss the brummie baltis!