Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carbs at night/before inactivity?

13»

Replies

• UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    I really don't think it matters when you eat them.

I eat carbs whenever I want them and really don't restrict them at all. I've been at my goal weight for four years now. I ate abundant carbs the whole time I was losing weight, too.

And a bonus... my sleep doctor actually recommended that I eat a carby snack about 30 minutes before I go to bed. It really helps me fall and stay asleep.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hmm -- for people who use the carbs at night to help with sleep, what do you eat? If I eat dinner late anyway, do you think just including it with dinner would help? I know this isn't really debate, but I'm always lower on carbs than I intend and have issues waking up during the night, so maybe this is something to try.

Oats - either oatmeal or raw oats mixed with yogurt for a few hours, topped with berries.

I like to have a few hundred calories not long before bedtime, so I wouldn't include this with dinner, and this would also make dinner too big for me, but YMMV.

I've seen oats used as a suggestion before too because in addition to the carbs, their protein content is high in tryptophan, the amino acid precursor to serotonin.
    EvgeniZyntx mentioned in another thread some research that carbs increase the availability of tryptophan which goes well with the idea.
  • Brettajohnson1
    Brettajohnson1 Posts: 1 Member
    It's more so about you're total calories for the day rather than meal timing, you're body doesn't shut off from digesting food late at night or when you sleep, if you eat in a surplus you gain weight, if you eat in a deficit you lose weight..simples.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's more so about you're total calories for the day rather than meal timing, you're body doesn't shut off from digesting food late at night or when you sleep, if you eat in a surplus you gain weight, if you eat in a deficit you lose weight..simples.

While I agree with your statements, I’m not sure why you resurrected a 3 year old thread to post this, when it was already covered on the first page?

Perhaps she's a Phan of these discussions.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2019
    The tragedy! I lost 150 seconds for this!
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member

While I agree with your statements, I’m not sure why you resurrected a 3 year old thread to post this, when it was already covered on the first page?
    I've noticed necro threads are always resurrected by people making their first comment. Why is that?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »

I've noticed necro threads are always resurrected by people making their first comment. Why is that?

Google>MFP link>sigining up>reply to dead thread that was the first google result

:|
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    cgchow wrote: »
    It's a classic question that's always being debated, it seems! What are your thoughts: substantial amount of carbs at night -- good or bad? (Obviously there'll be a difference depending on how much is 'substantial' and if they're complex or simple... But let's hear it!)

Irrelevant unless it somehow affects your sleep or energy/hunger the rest of the day. I tend to prefer having more carbs at dinner, and find my fasted morning runs feel more energetic when I do. Complex (starch) vs. simple (sugar, including fruit) doesn't really matter. Sometimes I have more starch, sometimes less starch, more fruit. Sometimes I have starch at dinner and a little ice cream right after. I haven't found that any of that makes a difference for me.

[Edit: heh, got snookered into responding to a zombie thread!]
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    Not for me, adding a load of stuff I wasn't going to use would ramp up my glucose stores and increase my fasting blood sugar.

yeah!!! what you said!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I tend to eat my highest carb meal at dinner. Has never been an issue, and biologically there is no reason why it should be. Some find carbs before bed help them sleep better (although I haven't noticed a difference).
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    cgchow wrote: »
    It's a classic question that's always being debated, it seems! What are your thoughts: substantial amount of carbs at night -- good or bad? (Obviously there'll be a difference depending on how much is 'substantial' and if they're complex or simple... But let's hear it!)

BAD! Ok look it. Before you go to sleep, you want your glycogen stores to be more depleted than not. Carbs fills up your stores and raise your insulin and you cannot burn fat. When your insulin is at baseline you burn fat for fuel

If you're in a deficit, you're going to be burning fat even if you do have glycogen. When you're losing weight, sleep is actually a time when a lot of fat is burnt. This happens for people doing low carbohydrate diets as well as for people doing high carbohydrate diets.

thank you....😀
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited March 2019
    My n=1 is my fasting BG in the AM is lower if I have a bit to eat before I go to bed. So I usually have a 100 calorie measured cup of ice cream. If I don't have it, I tend to wake with a fasting BG of greater than 100 mg/dL.

That little 100 calorie cup of sweet and fat doesn't negatively impact my sleep and seems to allow my body to not flood my systems with glycogen manufactured (IIRC) by my liver overnight.

I believe the phenomenon is called the 'Dawn Effect'

I don't know why I do it as the guidance is to stop having carbs at night to keep your blood glucose low. I find that some carbs and fat at night help me (but may not help you) keep things more normal.