Gym Phobia - Help!

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A gym buddy can help a lot when you're new. Also, a session with a trainer can help you feel like you know what you're doing.

When I have anxiety about new situations it helps me to catastrophize. The problem with free-floating anxiety is that it's impossible to get over being scared of everything and nothing in particular. Narrow it down. What specific thing are you afraid will happen? What's the worst possible thing you can come up with? Let's say you stand there like you don't know how to use the equipment while people are staring at you, then you do exactly the wrong thing with one of the machines and someone makes a cutting remark behind your back. Guess what? YOU WILL NOT DIE. Not only is this scenario unlikely, since most gym goers are nice when they pay any attention at all, but nothing about it is fatal. If the worst thing happened, the result would be... that you come back the next day with a little more experience and do it right the second time.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    kishmo16 wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »
    kishmo16 wrote: »
    I appreciate your response!

I know if I just do it - I'll pick it up quickly, but at this point I'm so nervous about it, especially since I don't know how to use anything. Would you recommend something smaller, or a more mainstream gym that'll help me be comfortable/have someone to assist with learning the equipment?

Personally, I would recommend a larger more main stream gym. The reason is that you are likely to see a wider variety of people there in terms of age, fitness level, etc. It might help you feel more comfortable because you are more likely to see someone who identify with in some way and make you feel less like you stand out. Also, many large gyms will offer a free session with a personal trainer to teach you how to use the equipment.

Thank you! I can definitely see how that would be the case. Then maybe I wouldn't stick out so much as there are lots of other newbies there too.

I'm going to check out some mainstream places around here before I commit, but I think (especially with the feedback I've received) that it's time to push myself and make the uncomfortable more comfortable.

Thank you again!

Do you still have access to your school's gym? If so that's where I'd start. It's free which lowers some of the stakes, there are likely a lot of new people coming in and out, and I'm assuming it's pretty accessible to you. One of the things I've been known to do is realize that I a. have gym clothes with me and b. have the time (and moderate amount of desire) to work out. That makes it really easy for me to go from class to the gym, work out, take a shower, and go on with the rest of my day.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    If you have the means, it may be worthwhile to invest in a personal training package - where you work with a trainer, say, once a week, do your prescribed workouts the other days, and then meet with them again the next week.

This would serve a few purposes: They can teach you how to use the equipment, keep an eye on your form, and when you do have to go in on your own, well, you're doing what you agreed to do with your trainer. The financial commitment can help a bit too, as can knowing you have to explain your progress (or lack thereof) to your trainer the next week.

Plus, when you're there on the other days, you may see your trainer (one friendly face you've already met) and you'll feel confident doing what you're working on as a professional has already gone through it with you. You'll get familiarized with a wider variety of the available equipment - and, hopefully, that gym anxiety will start to pass!
  • bllaura10
    bllaura10 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also felt the way about the gym, I think it’s fairly normal. I would just start and do the treadmill a few weeks and scope it out a bit. You’ll start to get more confident and realize that people are just doing their own thing. Watch videos on YouTube on how to use some of the other machines you see there and give them a try. This is what I’ve done and I’m comfortable with everything now except the back section of free weight stuff where all the scary body building people hang out lol. I’ve been practicing a routine at home with dumbbells and once I’m confident with that maybe I’ll venture back but I do use the weight machines and all the cardio machines :).
  • sistrsprkl8097
    sistrsprkl8097 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I’ve felt the same way but u really have to just jump in. Hire a trainer to show u around. Many gyms offer small group classes, great way to get into it. Everyone starts sometime! Also if u have a YMCA closeby, I find them the less intimidating gym.
  • kishmo16
    kishmo16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with anxiety with new things in general, fear of pushing through that barrier of not knowing how because of my perfectionism that says I should already KNOW how!! And it's way worse when I fear others are watching/judging.

When I don't try new things because I am afraid, I KNOW I'm the only sufferer, but that doesn't help me lower the bar. Counseling and awareness have helped; talking about my fears with a friend or partner and getting their support helps; but sometimes I have to challenge myself to feel the fear and do it anyway, in SMALL STEPS.

Would a friend you trust go with you to the student rec center the first time? Not a competitive type of friend but a supportive one. How about going to the rec center, getting on a treadmill to walk with your favorite music for 10 minutes -- then next time, 15, next time, 20 and walk through the weight room looking curious? Do they have student staff there that could show you the machines when you're ready to challenge yourself to ask?

Also hugs on struggling with the person you see - this unfavorable self image is another thing many of us know about, but no amount of taut muscle really fixes deep self-criticism - that one is better done with our therapists :heart:

I applaud you for the awareness to be working on these issues and all the best!

This is exactly how it is for me. I know I'm only hurting myself so the slight discomfort for a little bit will definitely be worth the outcomes if I push myself a little bit.

I'm going to see if someone will go with me after our class tonight and see how it goes!

Thank you so much for your feedback!
  • kishmo16
    Options
    If you have the means, it may be worthwhile to invest in a personal training package - where you work with a trainer, say, once a week, do your prescribed workouts the other days, and then meet with them again the next week.

This would serve a few purposes: They can teach you how to use the equipment, keep an eye on your form, and when you do have to go in on your own, well, you're doing what you agreed to do with your trainer. The financial commitment can help a bit too, as can knowing you have to explain your progress (or lack thereof) to your trainer the next week.

Plus, when you're there on the other days, you may see your trainer (one friendly face you've already met) and you'll feel confident doing what you're working on as a professional has already gone through it with you. You'll get familiarized with a wider variety of the available equipment - and, hopefully, that gym anxiety will start to pass!

I definitely need to look into this because for one, I think it would help me feel much more comfortable and secondly, it definitely hold me accountable!

thank you!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I remember what it's like to join a gym and not know what most of the equipment is for or what to do with it. The easiest way is definitely a personal trainer. They should give you a program based on your goals and show you how to use everything you need to use and hopefully with the correct form.

What I did was just start with the easy stuff and work my way up to the more complicated stuff. The first day I might just walk on the treadmill and scope out the surroundings. You can keep an eye on how others are using the machines to see how they work. Then I went and used some of the ones that looked easy enough, kind of scoping out other ones as I went around the room. Eventually you can work your way up to free weights kettlebells, and things like that. It took me years before I even tried a squat, I thought I would hurt myself. Try to focus on your workout instead of the people around you.

The first couple days I try to take a mental inventory of all the things the gym has so when I figure out a program to follow I know what's available. Watch some youtube videos, learn good form and posture, learn to engage your core, things like that. Start out simple. My beginner routine was do some cardio as a warm up, then upper body machines (about 3 sets of 8-12), then some stretching. The next day I did the same thing but with lower body. Eventually you can work your way up to more complicated routines.
  • NadNight
    NadNight Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have any kind of induction sessions? When I joined my gym they offered general fitness inductions, toning inductions and weight loss inductions which were basically just showing us round the gym and giving us advice on how best to use the gym to meet our goals. It was a really useful way to walk around and get familiar with the place and machines, get to know some of the staff and made me feel a lot more comfortable.

I think it’s one of those things where you’ve just got to keep trying and going and soon you’ll come to recognise faces, you’ll feel the benefits of the exercise and will slowly feel more comfortable.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    Do you have a friend who could maybe go with you? Ideally, someone who knows what they are doing so they can "show you the ropes" and let you get comfortable and gain some confidence so when it's time for you to spread your wings and go on your own, you don't feel as anxious about it? I mean, really, even a friend who is clueless but willing to learn would maybe give you the buddy-system; maybe the 2 of you could even do a few personal training sessions together (which would also mean less $$$ out of your pocket if you split the cost)?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You can plunge in headfirst, or you could also take this in baby steps.

Example:

Day #1: Park in parking lot. Then go home.
    Day #2: Go inside lobby. Then go home.
    Day #3: Take tour of facilities. Then go home.
    Day #4: Go inside locker room by self. Then go home.
    Day #5: Go to locker room. Change in bathroom stall. Then go home.
    Day #6: Visit area you're going to work out it. Then go home.
    Day #7: Do 10 minutes of a workout. Then go home.

Adjust this to whatever level of comfort/discomfort you have (if locker room is more anxiety provoking than weight room or the pool or whatever). The idea being that you face it in little bits, realize you didn't die, and then expose yourself to a little more. Bit by bit you can get there.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I learned from experience that going to the gym often and just pushing through those initial feelings leads to complete comfort in gym surroundings.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with so many others - nobody will care if you are there. They may notice, but they won't CARE. Also, you can meet your goals without going to a gym. There is so much you can do without any equipment. Body weight exercises deserve a lot of credit. They may not look as bad *kitten* as lifting heavy, but if you're new to exercise you will be able to see significant changes in yourself by working out at home.
  • LisaLethal
    LisaLethal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Your post really resonates with me. I used to be very in shape, went to the gym 5-6 times a week. Never felt any anxiety or insecurity.
    Fast forward 4 years... a baby later... and about 30 lbs heavier than when I first started at they gym a number of years ago and I have avoided joining a new gym like the plague.
    I have found every excuse in the book as to why I couldn't fit it in my busy schedule, etc.
    Truth is I am just anxious. Terrified. Insecure. Why? Because I can't help but think that every single person in there has been at it for longer than me, is more educated than me, and will judge how frumpy I look, or that my form is incorrect.
    I sat in the parking lot of the gym I wanted to join for about 10 minutes yesterday. I really thought about every excuse I could think of to once again cheat myself out of finding success for myself. Finally I took a REALLY deep breath, and walked in. I signed up, but didn't stay to work out. It was a baby step, but a much needed step I needed to make to be able to hold myself accountable. I am not going to be willing to spend money each month on something I won't end up utilizing, so I'm planning on going after work today for my first workout. For the first few times, I plan on sticking primarily to the cardio machines... you can't really go wrong on an elliptical or a treadmill.
    Like others have said, I'm sure people will glance and recognize that there is a new face... but I don't think anyone judges or really cares. I think if anything they would be like, oh that's cool that girl is new and she's trying. That's awesome. A lot of gym-goers have been in that same boat, so it's a total mental game.
    For me, I would feel more comfortable at a regular more main-stream gym, rather than one at my university because I would hope there would be less people I would potentially recognize. The university gym will be a great asset once you are more comfortable.
    It's amazing to me as I begin this journey how this isn't as physical as I thought... but rather a mental journey. A journey of finding strength, confidence, and determination.
    You got this. We got this. :)
  • kishmo16
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Do you have a friend who could maybe go with you? Ideally, someone who knows what they are doing so they can "show you the ropes" and let you get comfortable and gain some confidence so when it's time for you to spread your wings and go on your own, you don't feel as anxious about it? I mean, really, even a friend who is clueless but willing to learn would maybe give you the buddy-system; maybe the 2 of you could even do a few personal training sessions together (which would also mean less $$$ out of your pocket if you split the cost)?

I really like that idea! I'm going to reach out to some of my school friends and see if anyone would be interested and is serious about it. I have a really good friend always saying she wants to make changes and that we should do it together and nothing comes of it so it's a goal to find a "buddy" that is just as motivated to make some changes as I am.

Thank you!
  • kishmo16
    Options
    LisaLethal wrote: »
    Your post really resonates with me. I used to be very in shape, went to the gym 5-6 times a week. Never felt any anxiety or insecurity.
    Fast forward 4 years... a baby later... and about 30 lbs heavier than when I first started at they gym a number of years ago and I have avoided joining a new gym like the plague.
    I have found every excuse in the book as to why I couldn't fit it in my busy schedule, etc.
    Truth is I am just anxious. Terrified. Insecure. Why? Because I can't help but think that every single person in there has been at it for longer than me, is more educated than me, and will judge how frumpy I look, or that my form is incorrect.
    I sat in the parking lot of the gym I wanted to join for about 10 minutes yesterday. I really thought about every excuse I could think of to once again cheat myself out of finding success for myself. Finally I took a REALLY deep breath, and walked in. I signed up, but didn't stay to work out. It was a baby step, but a much needed step I needed to make to be able to hold myself accountable. I am not going to be willing to spend money each month on something I won't end up utilizing, so I'm planning on going after work today for my first workout. For the first few times, I plan on sticking primarily to the cardio machines... you can't really go wrong on an elliptical or a treadmill.
    Like others have said, I'm sure people will glance and recognize that there is a new face... but I don't think anyone judges or really cares. I think if anything they would be like, oh that's cool that girl is new and she's trying. That's awesome. A lot of gym-goers have been in that same boat, so it's a total mental game.
    For me, I would feel more comfortable at a regular more main-stream gym, rather than one at my university because I would hope there would be less people I would potentially recognize. The university gym will be a great asset once you are more comfortable.
    It's amazing to me as I begin this journey how this isn't as physical as I thought... but rather a mental journey. A journey of finding strength, confidence, and determination.
    You got this. We got this. :)

Lisa,

It seems we are both on that same journey! And I agree -it's more mental than anything! This extra 30 pounds has just been hanging out and I know it'll be so much easier once I make it through the doors of a gym. Signing up is such a great first step and similarly, I know once I make it to that, I won't be able to not go simply because I can't be that wasteful with my money! I think, as you mentioned, the cardio machines are the way to start out so I can sort of assess the space and work on being more confident and comfortable.

I hope today goes well when you get that work out in after work! I think I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow now!

Thanks so much!
  • kishmo16
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    You can plunge in headfirst, or you could also take this in baby steps.

Example:

Day #1: Park in parking lot. Then go home.
    Day #2: Go inside lobby. Then go home.
    Day #3: Take tour of facilities. Then go home.
    Day #4: Go inside locker room by self. Then go home.
    Day #5: Go to locker room. Change in bathroom stall. Then go home.
    Day #6: Visit area you're going to work out it. Then go home.
    Day #7: Do 10 minutes of a workout. Then go home.

Adjust this to whatever level of comfort/discomfort you have (if locker room is more anxiety provoking than weight room or the pool or whatever). The idea being that you face it in little bits, realize you didn't die, and then expose yourself to a little more. Bit by bit you can get there.

I may use this concept with a few tweaks! I think a day in the parking lot, a tour, then a workout might honestly work for me. Sometimes I feel it benefits us most to just do it.. and realize that it wasn't as scary as you thought it was. Everyone's comments and suggestions have honestly really motivated me to take this first step and dive right in.

Thank you.
  • kishmo16
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    I remember what it's like to join a gym and not know what most of the equipment is for or what to do with it. The easiest way is definitely a personal trainer. They should give you a program based on your goals and show you how to use everything you need to use and hopefully with the correct form.

What I did was just start with the easy stuff and work my way up to the more complicated stuff. The first day I might just walk on the treadmill and scope out the surroundings. You can keep an eye on how others are using the machines to see how they work. Then I went and used some of the ones that looked easy enough, kind of scoping out other ones as I went around the room. Eventually you can work your way up to free weights kettlebells, and things like that. It took me years before I even tried a squat, I thought I would hurt myself. Try to focus on your workout instead of the people around you.

The first couple days I try to take a mental inventory of all the things the gym has so when I figure out a program to follow I know what's available. Watch some youtube videos, learn good form and posture, learn to engage your core, things like that. Start out simple. My beginner routine was do some cardio as a warm up, then upper body machines (about 3 sets of 8-12), then some stretching. The next day I did the same thing but with lower body. Eventually you can work your way up to more complicated routines.

Having the guidance of a personal trainer would definitely be beneficial for me and would make me way more comfortable trying new things. I believe some of the more mainstream gyms around here will allow you sessions with a trainer without costing big bucks so I'm going to call about that today and see what they have to offer.

Baby steps is all it takes and I'm starting to see that now. I appreciate your feedback greatly.

thank you!
  • tashanic2
    tashanic2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You have to take the first step before you can make progress. One thing I have learned - you are someone else's goal already. Wherever you are at your stage there is someone else who wishes they were as far as you, even if it means just having made the commitment to try. It's cliche but remember it's one day at a time.

And for the record - I look at people all the time thinking -
    "dang, I wish I started where she is and then I wouldn't have as far to come."
    "I like that shirt."
    "I wonder if my hair would look good like that?"
    "Those are some cute shoes; mental note: look up those shoes."
    "I need to remember to tell my husband about the lady old enough to be our grandma wearing the 'Beast Mode' shirt, I love it"