Strategies for rrrright-before-bed hunger

Dreeeeamweaver
Dreeeeamweaver Posts: 3 Member
edited February 2019 in Getting Started
What is your favorite in the bag of tricks for not going over desired calorie intake just as you’re winding down in your bedtime routine. If i could fast forward through that 45 minute block without food I would have reached my goal by now!!!!

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    I've taken to yogurts/protein shakes/small peanut butter snack (with crackers) about an hour before bed. The protein and fat keep me satiated and it's pretty easy to make sure there's room in my calorie allowance for them during the day.

That's my absolute hardest time of the day.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    I usually eat a small piece of cheese before bed. 90cal of old cheddar tides me over until the morning and it's pretty easy to ensure I have those calories left at the end of the day.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    nice bowl of cereal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't really eat after dinner. I drink a ginger and tumeric tea as part of my wind down, bedtime routine.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I tend to eat >50% of my calories at dinner, so it's rare that I'm hungry at bedtime. If this is a common problem for you and you just don't have the calorie wiggle room for a snack, you might consider changing how your calories are spaced during the rest of the day.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    I have a small shake/snack (P+F) before bed
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    I make sure I have a couple of hundred calories available after dinner if I want to have a snack.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    I don't mind going to bed hungry so my new thing is that I just go to sleep earlier. It gets me more sleep and I'm not eating those calories that I didn't plan on. If I do eat, I almost NEVER make good choices so it's better for me not to eat
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    I have a protein shake right before bed. 150 calories. Most days I have room for it. If I don’t, I give myself half a scoop, and don’t worry about the extra 75 calories.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    pre-log a snack
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    It depends on the level of hunger. If I'm just kind of hungry, I have no qualms about just going to bed hungry. I know I can eat the morning. If I'm absolutely famished (which is rare that late at night for me), I'll just have a small snack. I actually use it as a gauge that my body is informing me it's in a calorie deficit. It's not uncommon for me to go to bed a little hungry alot of nights.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Every day I get a small piece of chocolate (sugar free) at bedtime. It's just a taste but when I get hungry before bed I remind myself that I have that treat to look forward to. Once it's eaten I brush my teeth and that signals to me that I'm done for the day.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    What works best *for me* is to keep busy. If I'm busy, and not just sitting and watching TV, then I can resist a snack right before bed. I've been known to clean the kitchen, organize a hall closet, go through clothes (between my 3 kids and my own) and make donation piles, etc..
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited February 2019
    I eat. Usually chocolate or some kind of sweet. Every night.

So I make sure I have enough calories that I can do this. It's about making your plan fit your life rather than trying to mould your life around a plan.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    There's nothing wrong with eating late at night. Just make sure it's planned out in your day. it sounds like it would be easier to just plan for it and make slightly less caloric choices during the day than to eat to your goal during the day and try to avoid eating at night through sheer force of will.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited February 2019
    For me, shutting the kitchen down after dinner works best. I just make sure dinner includes some fat or lots of fiber, to get me to bedtime. Sometimes I drink a cup of hot herbal tea an hour or so before bedtime. I am with @Crafty_camper123 on this one, in that I don't mind a mild twinge of hunger at bedtime. If I were really ravenous, that would be a different matter, and I can diagnose the two by asking myself if I am hungry enough to eat something that's not *overly* appealing to me.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    I eat enough at dinner to not be hungry again by bed time. I also don't eat until about 7 or 8 pm.