Rice Question

Options
Hiya,

I know this might sound like a silly question but I wondered how many calories etc are in generic whte boiled rice and what portion size everyone has? I dont know how much a 'cup' relates to you see! I have looked on the food directory and there are so much info for different generic boiled white rice's i dont know what one to pick! So yeah basically im wondering what portion size of white boiled rice people eat and now do you count it?

Thanks x

Replies

• MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    As far as im aware the "cup" measurements are USA measures.
    In my diet it recommends me to have basmati rice & advises to have around 55g uncooked weight or 144g cooked weight which comes to around 205 calories.

On the Rosemary Conley diet they provide you with portion pots so I use these for my measurements of things like rice, pasta & spaghetti.

When im looking for a food in the database, i click on different ones to see what the serving size shows as, as often they come up with plate full or cup full which to me I dont feel is accurate, if you click on other ones which have been added then they do show the amount in grams instead.

I hope this helps hun. xxxx
  • scj0409
    scj0409 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cup is a US measurement that is equivalent to 225 g. I hope this helps. I usually eat 50 g of white rice when I have it (dry weight).
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I use White Basmati rice and it has 355 cals, 1g fat (0.2g sat fat) 77.4g carbs, 1.8g fibre, 0.2g sugar and 8.5g protein per 100g of dry rice.
    My portion size differs from around 50-60g if it's just a side, to around 70-80g for a main meal.

Edited: A cup is a US measurement as far as I know but most UK stores should have a cup measuring pot. I've seen them in Wilkinsons.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just use a cupped handful of rice per person. That's probably less than half a standard cup. Suggest you grab a standard cup measure from a cookshop - I got one with my breadmaker and it's been worth it's weight in gold! Luck"
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Lovely, thanks ladies and gents. We are having rice tonight cooked in the rice cooker, so if I measure out 100g for me and the other half, we can have 50g (dried weight) each. We only have Jasmine rice though, the stuff you get from chinese take aways (as my sister-in-law ownes a take away we get all our rice from her in 15kgs bags lol).

Thanks x
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    What I do if there are several options is to choose the one with the highest calorie numbers. So long as you don't end up below the minimum you need before going into starvation mode, it should serve you as well as it has me. Luck!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I go for brown rice. Healthier and I just prefer the nutty texture.

I use a UK coffee mug of dry rice for 2 people - not sure if this is a correct amount, it's just the way I've done it for years.. You can weigh that much and add it in grams for most rice entries on MFP.
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have loads of white rice to use up at the moment but as soon as that is gone we will be on the brown rice for sure!

So, tonights action plan is to weigh 100g of raw rice, cook it and then divide it between me and the OH. I will count it as raw generic white rice and count it as 192 calories. Do you think this sounds right?

Thanks x
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    As far as im aware the "cup" measurements are USA measures.
    In my diet it recommends me to have basmati rice & advises to have around 55g uncooked weight or 144g cooked weight

On the Rosemary Conley diet they provide you with portion pots so I use these for my measurements of things like rice, pasta & spaghetti.

I use the cups from the Rosemary Conley diet too, since I used to go to the classes. I have a set of US cup mesures too. The Red Rosemary Conley cup is a little shy of a 1 US cup.

I've found the calories for the basmati rice are spot on, given I'm Indian it's the type of rice we tend to eat, unless I'm cooking risotto etc
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No! No! No! Down with cups! Don't encourage them! Make them use modern measurements like the rest of the world!

As for you Sazzle, portion size and nutritional information is on the side of the packet.
    If you want to find it in the database, put in EXACTLY what the item is called and hopefully someone like me has logged it correctly and precisely in an almost autistically perfectionist manner.

If not, use your packet and simple math.

Don't worry, the more you do this, the easier it gets, and the more of your foods it learns and remembers!