Apple Watch-exercise goal

Options
What is your exercise goal? Are you trying to lose, maintain, or gain?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You can't change the exercise goal but maybe you mean the move goal? Honestly there's no point comparing them because they are dependent on age/weight/height/gender and your general activity level, as well as how much you workout.

Mine is set to 500 which is reachable for me with deliberate exercise or a quite active day. I wouldn't get halfway there if I stayed sedentary. I am two years into maintenance, 5'5 female, 41, 135.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 500. I don’t think I’m ever going to make the 400% move goal achievement with it set here.

I did 10 minutes of calisthenics, walked an intentional couple of miles, been all over my house doing chores and playing with the kids all day - and I still haven’t reached the 500 mark. Both other rings are complete, but unless I intentionally do a decent amount of exercise my move goal won’t get finished. Which is exactly why I keep it at 500, to encourage exercise through the day.

I’m set to lose. My exercise isn’t to help me lose faster though - rather it’s to keep muscle, improve my heart condition and, most importantly some days, so I can eat more! 😋
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My watch is set at 406 calories for move goal It’s my bare minimum for when I’m at home and doing just general typical house stuff. On the days I exercise I least double my move goal. I’ve not gone past 930 calories in a day according to my watch though.
  • Savagawea
    Savagawea Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine is also set at 500. Add me if you guys are interested in adding Apple Watch friends!
  • kellie7850
    kellie7850 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My move goal is also 500.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 760. Usually the watch wants to set it higher, but I find it hard to reach it at the weekends, or on days when I don't go to the gym for some reason, so I keep it round there. My record was 1223 calories in a day :o (No idea what I did that particular day to go so high)
    I'm 1,58 m, 61 kg. Trying to lose the last 2-3 kgs, at about 200gr a week.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Mine is 480 which is a huge stretch on days I don’t workout or run (I work a desk job in my house).

In November I was in Vegas (walking a million miles to everywhere), ran a 5k on Saturday and a half marathon on Sunday. My watch thought I should up my move goal to 900-something.

Yeah-that’s a negative, Ghost rider.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Wait? Where do you find this? And am I crazy or is my movement thing taking longer and longer to complete the more excercise I do? Does it push the goal further back by itself?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Google is my friend, Mine is set at 670. But I always beat it, sometimes twice over. I feel like a babe in the woods at this stuff.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wait? Where do you find this? And am I crazy or is my movement thing taking longer and longer to complete the more excercise I do? Does it push the goal further back by itself?

Goal doesn’t push further back, but as you get fitter, your heart rate decreases so you need to work harder to burn those calories off in move goal.
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 700, which I believe is the default that my watch came with. As long as I get my workout in I hit it. I find it hard to hit if I don't. My watch has suggested moving my goal down, but it has never suggested moving it up.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Goal doesn’t push further back, but as you get fitter, your heart rate decreases so you need to work harder to burn those calories off in move goal.
    If you’re losing weight that’s likely a factor. Even just walking burns more calories when you’re heavier, so as we get lighter and report weight changes to the system, we burn less calories for weight-bearing activities.
  • MichaelK1007
    MichaelK1007 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise goal? Are you trying to lose, maintain, or gain?

Just finished off several weeks of cutting and now looking to gain. My exercise goal on the Apple Watch is set at 30 min, move goal is 680. Normally I try to get about an hour a day of strength training 5x a week and at least 15 min of cardio 7x a week. Most weeks I am getting all three goals. Let me know if you want to compete. It’s a great way to stay motivated. Anyone else want to compete for the next 8 weeks? DM me and I’ll send you my email.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Google is my friend, Mine is set at 670. But I always beat it, sometimes twice over. I feel like a babe in the woods at this stuff.

Each Monday it will prod you to set a new one, look for the notification. It'll say "weekly progress update" and tell you how many times you beat it last week and suggest this week's goal.

Edit: you can also change it yourself any time by force pressing on the activity screen to get the option.