Need advice to good easy exercise with back injuries

Options
Hi, I need advice on what to do regarding getting active even with a bad back, so much so that even walking for a long period causes massive pain, I'm enjoying my diet, I just need to start burning the calories

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    You burn calories all day even withot exercise. You should seek medical advice on exercising with an injury, noone here can advise you safely, because we don't know why you have a bad back and what will exacerbate it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need advice on what to do regarding getting active even with a bad back, so much so that even walking for a long period causes massive pain, I'm enjoying my diet, I just need to start burning the calories

depends on what 'bad' actually means. have you seen your doctor?
  • RFrisch72
    RFrisch72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was shorter walks, more often and using a pedometer to increase my number of steps gradually. You might check with your doctor to see if that would work for you. To get the shorter walks in, I parked as far away as I could tolerate (and reasonable) at work and in parking lots, took 3 trips to load/ unload the car instead of 2 heavy loads, multiple trips to put laundry away instead of loading up a basket— that sort of thing. I still can’t take one long 30 minute walk, but I’m up to 10,000 steps most days (from 4,000). I was working with my doctor, too, though, and had medical help. Good luck finding what works safely for you!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The most important thing when you have a "bad" back is to get a medical diagnoses. There are so many things that can go wrong in your back that until you know what is causing the pain you can do more harm than good with the wrong kind of exercise. Trust me I learned this the hard way.

Losing weight usually helps/cures a lot of joint issues so concentrate on you diet until you have some medical advice on what excercises would help your back.

Good luck from a fellow back pains sufferer. I thought I had a slipped disc but it turned out to be dysfuntional sacroiliac joints very different cause, different treatment.

Good luck
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Constant low level movement.

You need to find out why your back hurts, but for most causes, the worst thing for a bad back is being immobile.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    I have bad back (arthritis).. I walk mostly for excercises.. once awhile I'll put on back brace and take Aleve before any lifting or doing any heavy load activity that will my aggravate my back.
  • adamjamerobinson8906
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the advice, I'm please to say that I've been dieting for 8weeks now and doing nothing but walking and I have dropped almost 3st! My back pain has reduced alot so the more weight I lose the better I'll be
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for the advice, I'm please to say that I've been dieting for 8weeks now and doing nothing but walking and I have dropped almost 3st! My back pain has reduced alot so the more weight I lose the better I'll be

That's great news that your back pain has reduced, that's a lot of weight down in 8 weeks (approx 5lbs per week) though, you may want to consider slowing that down a bit, your body only has the ability to lose so much fat at a time and you may risk losing muscle by losing too fast which also won't help with supporting your back.

Thanks for coming back to update us too, it's rare that people come back.