Gyms?

Options
Do you belong to a gym or have you ever belonged to one?
Do you think its worth it?
If you do belong to a gym, what kinds of classes do you do?
Do you do the classes for fun and enjoyment, or do you hate the classes and do them with the end goal in mind (burning calories/making your body look better)?

I gained a bit of weight over the december/january period and have only decided a few days ago to lose the weight lol. Thinking about joining my local crunch gym because the classes look fun! I'm too old now to do exercise i hate, when i was younger i would force myself to use an exercise bike for an hour a day but I HATED it.
At the moment i just go walking for exercise.

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes
    I do think it's worth it, but I like to do strength workouts. Someone who enjoys running outside as their exercise probably won't think it's worth it.
    Don't do classes. Workout by myself - that way I don't have to do exercises I hate (ex: push ups). But you might enjoy them. Try them.

Don't think you're too old to exercise. Gyms have more older people as members than people think.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Yes. I actually have memberships to 2 different gyms now.

The main one I go to is a martial arts gym. There everything is in group class training environment. For me personally, I need that structure and instruction to really succeed. I have a hard time motivating myself, especially when it comes to cardio. Having a second degree black belt holding me accountable certainly helps push me to get it done. My second membership is at a cheap regular gym to go and lift weights on occasion (the weekends, when my other gym is closed, or when I can't make it to class) to work on my strength training. I find I can motivate myself more with lifting weights than I can with cardio.

So I definitely recommend trying out some classes if the gym you are looking at offers them. Try a couple of different ones. Look for ones that sound fun, but they may end up being different when you try it in practice, so see which ones you end up liking. Enjoying what you are doing makes it a lot easier to do than if you don't enjoy it. I can push myself at class because I like it. If it was one I didn't find fun, I couldn't.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    1. Do you belong to a gym or have you ever belonged to one?: Yes
    2. Do you think its worth it?: Sort of - I currently "belong" to my uni's gym that is paid for directly from student fees. I don't pay any extra outside of those fees to use the gym.
    3. If you do belong to a gym, what kinds of classes do you do?: I don't do classes. I use the pool, their rowing machines, and the weight room with varying amounts of frequency. I also row (inside and outside) at the rowing club that I belong to (or rather, at their boat house) with significantly more frequency.
    4. Do you do the classes for fun and enjoyment, or do you hate the classes and do them with the end goal in mind (burning calories/making your body look better)?: I don't like fitness classes for a variety of reasons, including the absurdly loud music that is played, thus I don't take part in them.

Like others have said, there's no reason for you not to try classes, especially if you think you'll enjoy them.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yes
    I do think it's worth it, but I like to do strength workouts. Someone who enjoys running outside as their exercise probably won't think it's worth it.
    Don't do classes. Workout by myself - that way I don't have to do exercises I hate (ex: push ups). But you might enjoy them. Try them.

Don't think you're too old to exercise. Gyms have more older people as members than people think.
    This is so true! Heck the gym I go to is attached to a university, but there are plenty of people in their 70s and likely 80s who use that gym. It's rare that I don't see at least one person in their 70s or 80s when I go there, typically more than one (and again, logically my gym would trend towards people under 40).
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do/have belonged to gyms.

Totally think it's worth the money if you use the membership.

And I hate classes. Don't use them basically ever. Not that they don't have a lot of value. Just not for me.

I use the cardio machines for warm-up, usually run on treadmill if available. Then I use free weights and weight machines.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I adore my gym. Access is included in my programming. There are no classes. But there is competition grade equipment. And my coach. And help with my bench shirt. And plenty of people who understand what it takes to be highly competitive in your given sport.

It’s worth every penny. And more than that.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yes some gyms are very good and have 5 different machines to work the same muscle groups i never really done the classes but had tried boxing , spin bike. They are very good some are for your fitness level you should try it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Do you do the classes for fun and enjoyment, or do you hate the classes and do them with the end goal in mind (burning calories/making your body look better)?

I gained a bit of weight over the december/january period and have only decided a few days ago to lose the weight lol. Thinking about joining my local crunch gym because the classes look fun! I'm too old now to do exercise i hate, when i was younger i would force myself to use an exercise bike for an hour a day but I HATED it.

I have belonged to gyms for decades. Currently I drop in at my university gym.
    Yes, I think it's worth it ... especially for the rainy days when I don't want to cycle, walk, or run outside.
    I do spinning classes, but also use the treadmill, rowing machine, and sometimes weights.
    I love cycling ... and enjoy spinning classes. I don't enjoy spinning classes as much as cycling outside, but they're good. They can be a bit of fun and help get me into shape for cycling outside.

Everyone is too old to do exercise they hate. We should all do exercise we enjoy. Fortunately I enjoy being active and don't like being inactive.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I belong to a YMCA. It's worth it to me.
    Right now, just spin. In the past, I've done kettlebell, yoga, circuit training, pilates, tai chi, kung fu, group weight training, learn-to-swim, lap swimming, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.
    I'm a weak character who'll only stick to things that are fun for me; Most of these have been pretty fun. Occasionally, I do something marginally less fun, because I need to be better at it for activities I find more fun. Swimming was in this category, for me.

I also do things outside the gym that I find fun, especially on-water rowing, plus a little bicycling, when weather here permits (we have winter). I also do machine rowing with my rowing team (fun) and on my own (not as fun, but necessary if I want to be in good shape to row lots once my river melts in Spring).

Weight loss, IMO, is more about eating than about exercise. I was obese for over a decade, while very active, even competing as an athlete. When I got my eating to a reasonable and satisfying level, I became a healthy weight, and have stayed there for 3 year since.

If walking is fun, do that. If other things are fun (try some), do those, too. It's good to be fit.

Why "lol" about losing weight? It's a good thing. I lost 50 pounds in 2015, and it was a major life improvement.

I'm 63. I'm very active, doing fun stuff. There's so much fun stuff a person can do, I think everyone should be too old to do things they hate, just for appearance or the like. How old are you? ;)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Used them for over 4 decades. Just the one membership now I'm retired, had three concurrent gym memberships in my last year at work.

Oh yes!
    I go most days in winter and a few days a week in the rest of the year when the majority of my exercise is cycling outdoors.

None, never enjoyed classes. Briefly did BodyPump to encourage my wife, tried Spinning but prefer to set my own schedule, routines and duration.

Those aren't my end goals, just by-products.

My exercise mindset is still the same as when I was a teenager, to support my strength, fitness and sporting goals. I will tolerate unpleasant training to support those goals but the majority of my exercise I actively enjoy.

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I belong to one gym, no classes, I just lift and I lift heavy enough to stimulate but not wear me down. My squat and deadlift went from 250 to 375 pounds in almost 8 months. You just gotta pace yourself and find your comfort zone and it will be very enjoyable.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Yes I belong to a local leisure centre with a small gym

Yes. I don't have the space or money for the equipment I need (barbells, bench, treadmill, cable machine) so its worth it to be able to use these. The more you use the gym the more 'worth it' it is. My gm is pretty cheap (£20 per month) but it's expensive for my boyfriend who has the same membership as me but only goes twice a month. He's paying £10 a session whereas I go four times a week and therefore am paying 83p per session.

No I don't do classes any more. I used to do classes and found them good for motivation as someone is telling you what to do and you have to be there at a certain time. I'm now confident enough in my routine to set my own fitness goals.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    1. I previously had a membership at PF. I pay a student rate at the Y. When I no longer qualify for that I will almost certainly go back to PF instead of paying full rate at the Y, which is about 2-3x as much as the high-end membership at PF. I'll use the "extra" money to go back to a yoga class I really liked (the ones at the Y are all right but that one was flexibility/balance focused, which was really helpful for me).
    2. If it wasn't worth it, I wouldn't do it. It's helpful to have somewhere to go for cardio when the weather is crappy. The classes also encourage me to push myself more than I would if I was at home by myself. I'm less willing to slack off when I'm around a bunch of other people. They don't judge me for it, but it makes me judge myself harder.
    3. I do Zumba and BodyPump. I like the 'choreographed' aspect of those - the music sets a tempo, and gives me some idea of how to pace myself. Quite often, the movements correspond to the sound of the music, which helps me remember what the heck I'm supposed to be doing. I still don't like exercising, but I dislike those significantly less.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, I belong to two gyms. 24Hr Fitness and a climbing gym

Do I think it's worth it? 24hr? Most definitely. It's only $29/month and subsidized by my work, so almost free in the end. I go every day M-F. The climbing gym? Maybe not. It's a lot more expensive, and not as convenient. I have a 3 person membership to cover myself and two of my kids. One never goes, I only go about once a month and the other one goes about 3x/week. I'm debating about dropping down to just a single membership for him. If it were more convenient, I would drop 24hr and just workout there because they have a bad *kitten* gym too.

I don't really do classes. Every once in a while I'll join a yoga class at the climbing gym because that's included. They just don't fit with my schedule. When I stayed home with my kids for a short while I used to take Body Pump, Zumba, Belly Dancing...

I took them because I enjoyed them and being in a group setting pushed me to continue longer than if I were working out on my own. It's the reason I go to the gym every day even if I don't take classes. Just being there and around other people makes me push myself harder than if I were working out at home by myself.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Belong to one
    I think it's worth it
    I don't do classes but have had a PT put a program together for me. More lifting than cardio. I run to get my cardio (although the bloody snow has limited this)
    My end goal is to not be decrepit at 60. At 50 I was well on my way to it. I want to run faster so my gym program has that goal in mind.

You (and I) won't really lose weight in the gym unless you are on the bike/treadmill for hours. You lose weight in the kitchen.

I found out I enjoy running. Started with C25K at 52 and plan to run a marathon this year (54). When the damn snow is gone I will be running enough to actually make a difference in my weight (50+km per week), but find what you like. I did one class once and hated it, so I went on to just lifting by myself.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have had several different memberships. I'm an Equinox member now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

I have been in and out of gyms for most of my life and a regular gym goer for 6+ years. For me it's worth it because I lift weights there and don't have room in my home for a home gym, and even if I did I would not be able to get all of the equipment that is available to me in a gym.

I do not do classes. I go to the gym to lift weights and occasionally do some cardio if the weather is bad. Most of my cardio is done outside on my road bike which is something I greatly enjoy...I do not particularly enjoy stationary cardio, but I do it when I have to in order to keep getting in my miles. I do not exercise for the purpose of burning calories, though it is a nice bi-product. I exercise regularly for my overall health and well being and to improve/maintain my fitness.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Gym member, but only go for strength training. Upper flat= rack, barbell(s), plates not really a home option. Personally can't stand hampster wheels - won't even use them for speedwork when it's impossible outside.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I used to belong to a gym. They had group classes, a "curves" type circuit, different machines, a pool and spa, a locker room with showers, and free childcare. I really enjoyed a few of the group classes they offered, and they even had mom/baby swim lessons. I moved away and now just use the weight room available at work for free. Most of my cardio ends up being exercise DVDs and a little outdoor running.