So this year I am working on adding more protein to fuel my workouts so I have a question

Options
What do you like for breakfast? I am use to a bowl of cherries or an egg and muffin. Today I made a muffin with one egg, turkey sausage and cheese. While good protein not something I will eat again.

I want to stay away from yogurt since I have it for an afternoon snack with granola.

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat breaky but I will eat a large lunch with breakfast foods: scrambled eggs with black beans and oatmeal with pb2 and a banana.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, but eggs are actually more fat than protein (based on calories). So, maybe a morning hamburger or chicken breast on a muffin?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Some ideas for increasing protein:
    • Cottage Cheese
    • Eggs - poached/boiled/fried/omelettes/scrambled
    • Lean Meats
    • Fish - Smoked Salmon is a nice one for breakfast
    • Cheese
    • Chickpeas
    • Oats
    • Milk

Then there are also supplements - protein bars/shakes/powder added to foods like muffins/pancakes/overnight oats.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, but eggs are actually more fat than protein (based on calories). So, maybe a morning hamburger or chicken breast on a muffin?

???

39esa2qch76n.jpg

OP, my go-to breakfast is plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and berries.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options

???

39esa2qch76n.jpg

OP, my go-to breakfast is plain greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and berries.

Protein is 4 cal per gram; fat is 9 cal per gram. So in your 1st entry there, you have 24 cal coming from protein & 45 cal coming from fat. So, "based on calories," eggs are more fat than protein (45 fat calories > 24 protein calories).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »

???

39esa2qch76n.jpg

Protein is 4 cal per gram; fat is 9 cal per gram. So in your 1st entry there, you have 24 cal coming from protein & 45 cal coming from fat. So, "based on calories," eggs are more fat than protein (45 fat calories > 24 protein calories).

Ok, I see it now. I usually eat one whole egg and two or three whites (because I can't do whites alone, yuck!). Good protein for the calories. Plus, I need fats, too. ;)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options

I was doing just fine today until you filled my head with thoughts of a morning hamburger. Now I miss Whataburger, which we don't have where I live. Hmm.

Anyways OP I usually eat 2 eggs almost every morning. I often pair then with a baked potato or some corn tortillas. I often eat yogurt twice during the day to help me get closer to protein goal.

For feeling workouts I often have more carbs at breakfast instead of more protein. It gives me much better energy.
  • felicianadine3
    felicianadine3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me tends to pretty low key; two hard boiled eggs, a banana, and a slice of wheat or multigrain toast. When I want to make things a bit more exciting or fancy, avocado toast is always a delicious option.

But, I'm someone who loves eggs, so they're an easy way for me to get my protein in the morning. However, my partner prefers making smoothies or overnight oats. You can find some really good recipes for both online or just wing it.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Eggs are perfect. But eggs have the type of fat that is good for your body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    More protein is great for aiding in recovery and preserving muscle mass...it is not so great for the purpose of "fueling workouts"...carbs are king there.

At any rate, if I want a high protein breakfast I usually have 1 egg and 3 egg whites (from carton) omelette with ham or turkey and skyr.

ETA: I do a lot of my workouts during my lunch break, so my breakfast is usually higher carbs. Usually a big bowl of oats with blueberries and around 10 grams of slivered almonds. My later meals and snacks are typically higher protein...ie my tuna and pea and quinoa "salad" for lunch, skyr for afternoon snack, whey supplement, and some kind of meat, poultry, or fish with veg for dinner or a beef or chicken stew or something.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Aside from eggs & Greek yogurt, my go-to protein-y breakfast is a smoothie with frozen banana, skim or almond milk, and flavored protein powder (I use Naturade pea protein because I have trouble digesting whey).
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I generally eat more protein post workout, as it helps better with recovery as @cwolfman13 pointed out. Protein takes a longer time to break down in the system, so it’s not necessarily the best for fuel purposes pre-workout. But to each their own! What works best for you is really key. Everyone has different preferences dependent on the type of exercise, intensity and longevity of that workout.

Though, for protein choices as others have mentioned - my go to is Greek yogurt or eggs I know you mentioned staying away from yogurt since you have it later....I actually have Greek yogurt twice a day. XD It’s a good, quick source of protein and low in calories.

For the most part, if I know I’m going into an intense and long training session, I’ll eat something like an English muffin with peanut butter and/or oatmeal + some fruit like a banana roughly an hour to an hour and a half prior to my workout.

Edited: Grammar and typos.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    EGGS! For lunch today I am having chicken dumpling soup with eggs dropped in. SO GOOD.
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    My usual morning go-to is protein pancakes or waffles. There are a few ways to do this, which give slightly different results:

A. Supplementing a "just-add-water" pancake mix: add protein powder (I usually use whey/dairy based for this) to replace up to half of the pancake mix called for per the instructions on the box. This won't be the lowest-carb version, but still pretty great -- and convenient.

For example:
    • 1/4 cup favorite pancake mix (Kodiak Cakes and even Krusteaz make mixes that are already high-protein)
    • 1/4 cup (~20g, usually around 2/3 typical scoop) protein powder (Quest powders usually bake better than most, as they're a mix of whey and casein proteins, and give a good texture)
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder (optional; sometimes helps them fluff up more since you're replacing mix with powder without leavening
    • Water, as needed, to form a nice batter; griddle as normal

B. Dairy-based protein powder (whey/casein) and egg whites
    • 1 scoop (~30g) protein powder (again, I recommend a whey/casein blend like Quest, but whey only is relatively cheap and will do fine; pancakes may be a bit thinner)
    • 2 egg white (~66g)
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • Water as needed (not much; keep this batter on the thicker side)

C. Plant-based
    • 3 egg whites (~100g)
    • 1.5 tbsp (~7g) whole psyllium husk powder (thickens and gives a bready texture)
    • 1 scoop (~30g) plant protein powder (recommend a blend of at least pea and rice for best taste/texture; e.g. Sun Warrior, or Orgain)
    • Water, as needed (let the batter sit a minute or two while the psyllium thickens, then add more as needed)

Play around with the scale for however many 'cakes you want. Vanilla powders are great blank-slates that you can use in lots of baking. Quest also makes an unflavored, multi-purpose blend. Add cinnamon or whatever flavorings you like.

More recipes: http://www.proteincakery.com/
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like to make frittatas in a muffin pan. Eggs, sausage, cheese and then vegetables like spinach, onion or peppers. If you want more fat use heavy cream or half and half. I make them all on a Sunday and then have enough for the week. You can either eat cold or reheat in the microwave.
  • erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Overnight protein oats is another that my girlfriend really likes:
    • 1/4 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup (or 1 scoop) whey protein powder
    • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    • 1/4 cup water, milk, or non-dairy milk
    • 1 tsp chia seeds (optional, but helps thicken)

You can make these in all sorts of flavors. My girlfriend's favorite is carrot cake: add a tbsp or two of finely shredded carrot (I do in the food processor), some walnut pieces and raisins, and 1/4-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. Others that I've done:
    • Add gingerbread spices (ginger, cinnamon, clove) and a little molasses for gingerbread
    • Cocoa powder and instant coffee/espresso powder for a nice mocha flavor (or chocolate protein powder)
    • Cocoa powder and coconut flakes
    • Powdered peanut butter and fresh berries (or a little dollop of jam)
    • Small splash of lemon juice and/or zest and poppy seeds
    • A drop of almond extract and blueberries
    • Sliced banana, nuts, cinnamon, and a little nutmeg
    • Cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little maple flavor or low sugar syrup (French toast)

You could probably figure out a ton of things. Just make them ahead of time and let them chill in the refrigerator overnight to a couple days. Make several ahead of time for grab-n-go.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    erikfarrar wrote: »
    Overnight protein oats is another that my girlfriend really likes:
    • 1/4 cup oats
    • 1/4 cup (or 1 scoop) whey protein powder
    • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    • 1/4 cup water, milk, or non-dairy milk
    • 1 tsp chia seeds (optional, but helps thicken)

You can make these in all sorts of flavors. My girlfriend's favorite is carrot cake: add a tbsp or two of finely shredded carrot (I do in the food processor), some walnut pieces and raisins, and 1/4-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon. Others that I've done:
    • Add gingerbread spices (ginger, cinnamon, clove) and a little molasses for gingerbread
    • Cocoa powder and instant coffee/espresso powder for a nice mocha flavor (or chocolate protein powder)
    • Cocoa powder and coconut flakes
    • Powdered peanut butter and fresh berries (or a little dollop of jam)
    • Small splash of lemon juice and/or zest and poppy seeds
    • A drop of almond extract and blueberries
    • Sliced banana, nuts, cinnamon, and a little nutmeg
    • Cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little maple flavor or low sugar syrup (French toast)

You could probably figure out a ton of things. Just make them ahead of time and let them chill in the refrigerator overnight to a couple days. Make several ahead of time for grab-n-go.

Thank you for taking time to type all of that out! I want to try a few.

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I agree that I need more carbs before the workout and more protein after. I'm going to try a few suggestions so thank you.