learn something new every day

Options
my ipod nano 6th gen has a pedometer. I wonder if I have to have a nike fob for or to work or how it works. Hum, this should be interesting.

Replies

• cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    From my understanding it is not reliable and hard to calibrate. It works like many other pedometer with a estimate motion ratio based on the shake technology. I profer HRMS with GPS technology. I have ran marathons and other races and the distance was almost up to the exact accuracy as meaured in the races up to a few feet one way or the other which I can live with.

Oh, the pedometer does not require any other accessories.
  • HEBLAS
    HEBLAS Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use the app "IMAPMYRUN" on my phone.... i am not sure how the accuracy is, but i usually just use it for the timing/pace counts. Anyone else ever use this app and if so, how accurate is it?
    Also , what is the best HRM with chest strap for the least amount on money?? Approximate cost?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have a polar hrm, I just noticed the other day when I was playing with my nano that it was there. I had a Garmin for about a week, but it was the 305 which is useless unless you're outside and even then has it's limitations in calorie counting as it doesn't go off of hr only distance. If I could have sucked it up I would have gotten the 405 with all the bells and whistles, but I don't spend enough time putting those kinds of miles on my shoes to make it worth my while, so I returned to the polar brand.
    I figured it would be pretty inaccurate, but curiousity usually gets the better of this cat.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone, and use an app called 'steps'. It allows you to calibrate accurately, pauses and restarts when you do, and shows more stats than you can shake a stick at. VERY useful indeed!
  • WPoppysmith
    WPoppysmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a Nano Ipod, and I use it all the time when I go out walking, the music that I am listening to spurs me on and at the end of the walk I have a general idea of how far I have been (step wise). If I wanted it to be more exact I would invest in something else, but at the moment my nano suits me down to the ground. (but I have noticed if you have the pedometer turned on and then come home and put it on the docking station, the volume goes mad and you wake up the neighbours!!! ) :)
    BTW does anyone know of a free app for a Blackberry curve that I could use instead of my Ipod (love the ipod but pockets can get rather full)