Trail Running Tips

Options
My husband and I hike 3-4x per week. We have been increasing our mileage and are now into the double digits. We are interested in getting into trail running.

I'm interested in hearing from others who trail run. How different is it from running in general? Are the foot strikes different? How do I not trip on the endless rocks and boulders on the Rocky Mountain trails? Seems like injury could be easy. What about all the mud from the melting snow?

We are both going to get some new trail running shoes in the next month. And yes, we did decide this about 2 days after our neighbor in Ft Collins killed the attacking mountain lion during a trail run. That's been a constant conversation locally for the last week.

Anyways, appreciate any suggestions.

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    Options
    I've done both road and trail running, and like them both.

With trail running, you do have to watch where you're going and your stride may vary, but in some ways it's more interesting.

Around here the worst we have to watch for are snakes.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy running but don't love road running. I just find it difficult to stay occupied in my head, even with music.

I'm also interested in anyone's experience wearing microspikes with trail runners. With both pairs of my current running shoes I find that the microspikes really squeeze my toes. And don't think I can run here in the winter without them.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love trail running but I’m in a pretty flat state and I’ve never seen a rock here, it’s mostly sand. However there’s still lots of ruts and roots so watching your footing is always a concern. I’ve taken a tumble or two but luckily never anything serious, I’ve always just gotten up looked around to make sure no one saw and kept running lol. My times on the trails are definitely slower but it feels like more of a core workout with all of the balancing and jumping to avoid certain spots. It’s also much easier on the joints!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I suggest that like any activity, you start with shorter, easier trails to get accustomed to the environment, then work your way up from there. If you are near an outdoors store like REI, talk to their shoe people. Or a running store. Probably some of them do this activity and will be happy to discuss your questions. They might even offer a class or a group outing.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try trail running as well, but wondered where to start since I only do regular running. I live in Northern Colorado as well. Ever heard of the Crazy Legs 5k? It's a trail run at Horsetooth... although the whole mtn lion incident has me a bit nervous now! Ha!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    The way I started is...

I walked the trails first, then increased my speed to a power walking speed. Once I adjusted to that, I started running very slowly, and gradually increased my running speed.

Trail running seems to develop all the muscles around your joints better, because each step is different. I had a weak ankle on my right foot from rolling it pretty bad when I was younger. Trail running seems to have made it stronger.

I think it's fun.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of trail shoes late last year and did a few runs before the white stuff appeared. I'll get back to it in the spring.

I'm lucky as I found the same brand and model of my road shoes in a trail shoe on sale so I just started running ith them.

I was mixing it up between road, path and trail for a bit there and will go back to that.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy running but don't love road running. I just find it difficult to stay occupied in my head, even with music.

I'm also interested in anyone's experience wearing microspikes with trail runners. With both pairs of my current running shoes I find that the microspikes really squeeze my toes. And don't think I can run here in the winter without them.

In my experience, microspikes suck for running (they tend to shift too much) - I much prefer wearing cross country shoes (and getting longer spikes for the winter). If your feet are wider and you go that route, try the Brooks Mach first. (They and Saucony Kilkenny are the widest I've ever found, but the latter are not very durable).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    adding: Don't go with spiked XC shoes for mountain trails (unless definitely snow covered). They work well on snow/ice/dirt/forest floor, but not rock.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think it's a learned skill running in mud. I did trail running for around five years. One race, it had rained for days prior to the race. I think I fell seven or eight times. My best races were around 10 minute miles (the races were 5K up to around 7/8 miles). That muddy race I ran around 12 minutes per mile and was happy. Guys were passing me on this race running like ducks with wide feet, adjusting to the mud @ 7 minute miles like it was nothing (they had loop races and this was one of those) It's an art form running on mud. I never mastered it. Handicap races, if you can find them, were my favorite. I got to feel what it was like having the lead for a bit on one! Of course, it didn't end well!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I was the same way - loved hiking / backpacking and realized I could see so much more by running. I run roads too, though.

Anyway, you need to build proprioception for technical trails. Keep a constant scan 3-6 steps ahead. When you get to each step, your feet need to land in the safest/best spot. You can't look at where you are stepping AS your feet land because by then, you need to be looking and preparing for the future and not forgetting the next 2-4 steps between where you are now and where you are currently planning to be in a second or 2. Even then, there will be some areas where you slow down to a walk or slower because of terrain or wildlife, just as when hiking.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    So much good info since I was on this morning! Thanks all.

@FL_Hiker I was watching some YouTube videos last night and they basically said, yeah you're gonna fall. Lol. I took a hard fall yesterday because of the mud. Man it was hard to even walk through. I fall hiking and an sure I will fall trail running.

@lorrpb I basically started yesterday during my hike. It's gonna take some getting used to. Some of the downhill seem just downright dangerous and I was so slow on the uphills. But super fun. I do plan to go to REI cause they can recommend the right shoes and even do some sort of step analysis.

@BoxerLover96 It's cool that we are neighbors. I haven't heard of that run but sounds great. Bet it will be so interesting the next time around. I love Horsetooth Reservoir and would still go regardless of the attack. I just try to be as prepared as possible and do carry a small weapon when I'm in the mountains.
  • lalalacroix
    edited February 2019
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

In my experience, microspikes suck for running (they tend to shift too much) - I much prefer wearing cross country shoes (and getting longer spikes for the winter). If your feet are wider and you go that route, try the Brooks Mach first. (They and Saucony Kilkenny are the widest I've ever found, but the latter are not very durable).

It looks like so the trail runners I see are wearing the microspikes. Would cross country shoes prevent slippage on ice? Seems like all the trails I'm on have a thick layer of ice right now in many places. Maybe there's some microspikes better designed for trail runners rather than boots.

Edit: I just reread your other comment about spiked trail runners. Thanks.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

It looks like so the trail runners I see are wearing the microspikes. Would cross country shoes prevent slippage on ice? Seems like all the trails I'm on have a thick layer of ice right now in many places. Maybe there's some microspikes better designed for trail runners rather than boots.

Some runners use Yaktrax. Others will have a pair of shoes that they put screws in the bottom. It has to be the screws with a protruding top, though. They also need to be deep enough to hold and shallow enough to not stick all the way through to poke your foot.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    @MikePfirrman You told me everything I expected about mud. Lol. I couldn't even walk on it last night and at one point had a good fall. Some of these runners I see are like beautiful, weightless creatures running over the mud like it doesn't affect them. Guess it is a learned skill. 🙂

@midwesterner85 thanks for that info. It seems like all our trails here are technical. Some have boulders that are 2 feet tall and then many of them! It's gonna be a learning experience for sure.
  • lalalacroix
    Options

Some runners use Yaktrax. Others will have a pair of shoes that they put screws in the bottom. It has to be the screws with a protruding top, though. They also need to be deep enough to hold and shallow enough to not stick all the way through to poke your foot.

Yaktrax are what I have now. I didn't know there are trail runners where screws can attach like track shoes. That might be a good option.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Yaktrax are what I have now. I didn't know there are trail runners where screws can attach like track shoes. That might be a good option.

There aren't - at least not factory-made. This is a DIY modification people make to an existing pair of shoes. Search the internet for "screw your shoes" for some instructional videos and tips.
  • lalalacroix
    Options

There aren't - at least not factory-made. This is a DIY modification people make to an existing pair of shoes. Search the internet for "screw your shoes" for some instructional videos and tips.

Ok thanks.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    these are what I normally trail run in for forest and snow (yes-track shoes): https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-mach-18-womens-spike/120229.html (previous generation). They've served me well and survived lots of thorns.
  • lalalacroix
    Options
    these are what I normally trail run in for forest and snow (yes-track shoes): https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/brooks-mach-18-womens-spike/120229.html (previous generation). They've served me well and survived lots of thorns.

Thank you.