How often do you weight yourself?

Options
Weighting my self weekly is hard .is it ok to weight 1 x month does anyone weigh themselves once a month and if so have you been successful?

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's really a personal preference. I went back to weighing daily so i could see a trend over time with my happyscale app. I was only seeing what I thought was a stall when I weighed weekly. If monthly is more comfortable for you then go right ahead :)
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Daily using Libra if I weighed monthly I would more than likely binge thinking I have a month to "make up for it"
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month. I know I'm on the right track with my eating so I can weigh once a month to check in. I do it a few days after my period starts, which is a low bloating day for me, so it's "ideal". I think it works if you know your strategy is taking you in the right direction.
  • Morswood
    Morswood Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend once a month.

I always weigh myself before a workout (every other day) as it's important to know for calorie calculations. It's a habit that I find easy to remember as it's so closely associated with an activity. Perhaps you could do something similar.

The very least I would recommend is once a week.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It’s personal preference. I weigh daily, but watch my overall trend. This helps me see exactly what is happening. Like this:
    11jqek0yk3iq.png

My sudden weight drop is from stopping exercise. I had Nexplanon put in and was told not to exercise until it’s fully healed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    2-3 times per week usually. Except this week I won't be weighing in and maybe not next week because I fractured my patella and my knee is the size of a grapefruit and the muscle tightening has also strained my foot and caused swelling there as well. All I would get by weighing in right now is a huge jump on the scale due to all of the inflammation going on.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day and use trendweight
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    I weight myself often . But only log if there's a decrease..

• oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Just curious - why do you find it hard to do weekly? I try to weigh daily because although I totally understand the fluctuations, I like to use it as motivation. Weight went up slightly? I try harder. Weight went down? I try harder to keep the trend. When I don't weigh, I don't try harder. But that's just me! Do whatever works. Weighing yourself won't make you lose or gain. Eating fewer calories than you burn will:)
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Just curious - why do you find it hard to do weekly? I try to weigh daily because although I totally understand the fluctuations, I like to use it as motivation. Weight went up slightly? I try harder. Weight went down? I try harder to keep the trend. When I don't weigh, I don't try harder. But that's just me! Do whatever works. Weighing yourself won't make you lose or gain. Eating fewer calories than you burn will:)

Im guessing (now this is just me) but when I weighed weekly and didn't see a loss I thought well wtf am I working so hard for = negative emotions = eating ones feelings rinse and repeat I now weigh daily and see my trend is down & ahead of schedule yay!
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Friday morning. I don't weigh everyday because, for me, it doesn't make sense to, due to daily fluctuations.
  • zameer86
    zameer86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing really. I get the impression that most people here tend to go the daily weigh with a trending app route but I understand that's a bit of a risk factor for some people who might get a bit number fixated.

Obviously weighing in isn't required to lose weight, if you're eating in a deficit your then you'll be losing weight whether you're keeping track or not. I know some people choose to not weigh and use other metrics to track their progress such as measurements, how their clothes fit or even just the mirror.

Only you can really decide how often you want to weigh in but some things to keep in mind.
    Daily weigh ins give you all the information you could possibly want but some people find it onerous and feel like they're at risk of getting obsessive about the number on the scale where daily fluctuations play mind games on them. Daily weigh in's with a trending app has the added bonus of 'cancelling out' natural weight fluctuations to reveal genuine progress.

Monthly weigh ins let you get away from the number on the scale but the downside is you're not getting any information about your progress so can't make any adjustments. If you're accidentally eating too much you won't know this for a whole month so can't make any corrections. A month is a long time to be unknowingly going in the wrong direction before finding out and making changes.

Weekly weigh ins are a middle ground. You'll get regular feedback on your progress so you can make timely adjustments but progress can often be masked by natural weight fluctuations. It's entirely possible that you're weight might be going down overall but an ebb in water weight one week and a flow the week after can result in the number on the scale number going up.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Once a week
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what feels the best for you. Personally i weigh myself everyday, especially when i'm actively trying to lose weight. Helps to motivate me.
  • ash_shell
    ash_shell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I like to pay attention to what causes fluctuations.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly, I use to weigh biweekly but found that I lost focus a bit. I also weigh on Friday so I can see how much slack I should give myself over the weekend.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If I'm focused on losing weight I'll weigh daily, it helps keep me on track. I only record the low numbers unless they don't seem to make sense.
  • shazland
    shazland Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I'm repeating myself - I did try to respond earlier. I hardly ever weigh myself as I find it so disheartening if I've worked really hard and there is no decrease (which sometimes happens to us all). I go by how my clothes fit and common sense. I only weigh myself once I know I am close to my happy weight :-) works for me.