Strength training calories

luvbwfc
luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
edited October 1 in Fitness and Exercise
Just logged my 1st strength training sess. Why no calories?

Replies

• psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Log it under cardio. Search for Weightlifting. (Weight training)
  • shed67
    shed67 Posts: 3 Member
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    I asked the boffins they say too many variables!! There is strength training in cardio
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Cheers!

So you log in strength training to see a good break down of what you did and then just put X minutes of weight training in cardio?
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Cheers!

So you log in strength training to see a good break down of what you did and then just put X minutes of weight training in cardio?

This is how i would do it.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Cheers!

This is how i would do it.
    ME TOO!!!!
  • Redlybird
    Redlybird Posts: 11 Member
    This helped me out - I was confused as to why it didn't add calories burnt for strength exercises, too! Thanks!
  • stephanie8625
    stephanie8625 Posts: 119 Member
    thanks -- helped me too .... i was mad that I could not record my weight lifting calories, because I could not find it either !!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    i thought it wasnt in there because the hear rate only increases in short bursts and isnt consistent, like say when you are running?

so it really doesnt burn any calories. But you do strength training to increase muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn naturally. no?
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    i thought it wasnt in there because the hear rate only increases in short bursts and isnt consistent, like say when you are running?

so it really doesnt burn any calories. But you do strength training to increase muscle mass. The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you burn naturally. no?

THIS.

Even in Jillian Michaels' videos, she says the reason they do cardio AND strength (and big muscles with smaller muscles at the same time - called compound movements) is to get the HR up and to burn calories.

If you're standing still or sitting while lifting weights (i.e. bicep curls or something like that), resting for 30-60 seconds between sets, and using light weights, you're not really burning anything significant. You'd probably burn more calories cleaning your bathroom because vigorous cleaning gets your HR up.

As an estimate, based on a 180-lb man lifting for 60 minutes: A light to moderate weights workout might burn 250 calories in an *hour*. (Variable based on body weight, of course.) Intensity is the key to burning calories while weight lifting. HIIT (high intensity interval training) gives you the best of both worlds without the "boredom factor" of a long cardio session like running.

Food for thought!
This discussion has been closed.