Do you enjoy your job? Or can't wait until you don't have to work?

Options

Replies

• cdlee4
    cdlee4 Posts: 507 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    No but lately i've been thinking i should do what i love. Soooo, i wonder if anyone would pay me to go around and kick off all the icky ice and snow that builds up on your car right behind the wheels. I get such a high from kicking that *puppies* off
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I like my job...I'm also a TGIF guy and like my time off to do my thing and play with the kids, go camping and fishing, etc.

Retirement for me is a long way off, and I don't think about it much. If things continue as they are, retirement should be a pretty good time...lots of travel, golf, etc. My guess is that I'll probably work part time somewhere fun...maybe REI or something.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I love my job but also look forward to retirement. This isn't because I am tired of working. I just want to travel more.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's not my eventual career path, but I like my job. It helps me keep my life structured, and it's pretty stress-free.
    A lot of times I think people complain because they think it's expected, and in some ways, it builds a kind of comraderie.
  • SirMxyzptlk
    SirMxyzptlk Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Just don't retire

Disagree. I retired a while ago and started doing a new business of my own. Doesn't take a a lot of time and I get to travel, so it's been a great retirement for me. And yeah, I enjoy what I do.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I really like my job. Not so much because of the career field do, but more because of the affect it has on our customers. I work IT at a military hospital and get to see the positive results we have on the nation's war fighters every day. Rock-a-bye Baby is played on the overhead every time a baby is delivered here, both of mine were born in military hospitals (Fort Ord, CA and Heidelberg Germany). Like @TheRoadDog I am retiring soon (end of April). Bucket list is to visit every National Park in the continental USA.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    I do enjoy my job very much, especially the people I work with. We have fun while we work :)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Mean_Spice wrote: »
    I really like my job. Not so much because of the career field do, but more because of the affect it has on our customers. I work IT at a military hospital and get to see the positive results we have on the nation's war fighters every day. Rock-a-bye Baby is played on the overhead every time a baby is delivered here, both of mine were born in military hospitals (Fort Ord, CA and Heidelberg Germany). Like @TheRoadDog I am retiring soon (end of April). Bucket list is to visit every National Park in the continental USA.

My wife wants to visit every National Park in Continental USA also.
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I love my job, but wish the world was less evil and that people like me weren’t needed.

What is your job? I think I remember you said about it before but I forget now.

I love my job also. (Mental health) I find it very fulfilling role for me, and at the start of my career I also find it very exciting and challenging. But at same time, I will be more than ready to retire when I'm at that age. I think I'l deserve a rest and just go on holidays for a while ! But yeah, I would busy myself with little projects, gardening and hobbies, and more holidays!

Child Psychology. I work with special needs kids and children who have been victims of sexual abuse, then the occasional family session if the situation calls for it. I also do adhd coaching part time.

I agree that it is very rewarding but at the same time the situation is not. Thank you for the work you do. It’s challenging and sometimes can wear heavily but I think we both agree it’s a fair cost to pay. When you retire you can show me how to not kill everything that’s green.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I love my job, but wish the world was less evil and that people like me weren’t needed.

What is your job? I think I remember you said about it before but I forget now.

I love my job also. (Mental health) I find it very fulfilling role for me, and at the start of my career I also find it very exciting and challenging. But at same time, I will be more than ready to retire when I'm at that age. I think I'l deserve a rest and just go on holidays for a while ! But yeah, I would busy myself with little projects, gardening and hobbies, and more holidays!

Child Psychology. I work with special needs kids and children who have been victims of sexual abuse, then the occasional family session if the situation calls for it. I also do adhd coaching part time.

I agree that it is very rewarding but at the same time the situation is not. Thank you for the work you do. It’s challenging and sometimes can wear heavily but I think we both agree it’s a fair cost to pay. When you retire you can show me how to not kill everything that’s green.

My hats off to both of you. I don't know how you can do it. I could not. I am thankful that there are people out there like you.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently working, and I'm missing it terribly (not to mention, oh, bills). I like the discipline and the ability to solve problems. But I have turned down job offers because they're not right. Me, I want to wake up in the morning and at least look forward to going to work. If you're there for 8+ hours a day, I believe you should try and enjoy what you do, or figure out how to find joy and meaning in it. Otherwise it seems so soul-sucking. :(
  • rachelpelucca
    rachelpelucca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hated when I worked in customer service. It was miserable, stressful and no one I ever worked with seemed to have any sort of ethic. My store closed in 2017 and at first I was so upset but now I’m happy it happened. I’m in school full time about to get my degree and my store closing was the best thing that could have happened to me 🙌🏻
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I like my job 85% of the time and I think that's a great number. I never felt the urge to be one thing or another, like some people want to be a doctor since they were a kid. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd still keep working at my current job.
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't like my current job but I'm training to be a pet groomer and I'm loving it so far. Animals are so much nicer to work with than humans (not surprising) haha

I used to be a sous chef and it caused a lot of stress I ended up wanting to switch career. I'm still young so I guess it's fine to not totally know what I want!

having worked in the culinary industry, i know how stressful it can be. i'm glad you're pursuing your path. :)
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I like my job usually. Sometimes get frustrated, but for the most part it's pretty good. Somethings could definitely be improved.

Wouldn't mind doing something else, can't think of what, maybe doesn't matter, just anything for a new experience.

Don't think I'll ever not want to work, at least part time.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I love my job, especially during busy season. I can relate to you completely, op.
  • fFinfan66
    fFinfan66 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Loved my job,retired 5 yrs ago! Was forced out,but lovin’ life.They did me a big favor,volunteering in community and at church