How do you shake the "can't eat to self sooth" blues

tryan27
tryan27 Posts: 13 Member
edited February 2019 in Motivation and Support
Have been an emotional eater all my life. I have successfully dropped 84 lbs to this point and only have 13 more to go. However this whole time, I have been dealing with major emotional changes. I don't know if it is just age related ( the change) or just because I cannot turn to food to feel better. Anyone have any tips how to keep me from falling off the wagon? T.

Replies

• beelzeboobs21
    beelzeboobs21 Posts: 5 Member
    Another lifelong emotional eater. Second generation even. The only thing that helps me is exercise, even just a walk to clear my head. I never, ever want to exercise when I'm stressed or depressed but if I can make myself do it, I always feel better after. Remembering that is usually how I find the motivation to just get up and do it, no matter how much of a big, giant baby I'm being about it.
    Hang in there. I hope you feel better soon.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Another lifelong emotional eater. Second generation even. The only thing that helps me is exercise, even just a walk to clear my head. I never, ever want to exercise when I'm stressed or depressed but if I can make myself do it, I always feel better after. Remembering that is usually how I find the motivation to just get up and do it, no matter how much of a big, giant baby I'm being about it.

Exercise helps me too. I also had to find other coping mechanisms that were engaging enough that I couldn't eat food at the same time (playing with cat, writing, etc.). Probably the biggest thing was learning how to soothe myself by talking myself through it, which I learned and practiced in therapy. It's basically recognizing the issues and attempting to determine if it's something I can change, if it's something I should change, and if it's as big of a problem as I think it is. It's kind of like taking the problem and looking at it from an outsider's perspective. I have a tendency to overreact to things (and that tendency is actually my diagnosis) so just learning to cope wasn't enough, 'cause I'd basically spend my entire life just trying to cope and not living.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Exercise helps. Otherwise, I keep a variety of low-calorie snack options on hand. And I don't eat one until I pre-log it. I find it helps me avoid the whole "I ate too much! Now I feel guilty and horrible and... eating more will make me feel better. Now I feel worse. Must eat more" vortex I used to get sucked into. Now it's, "A Fiber One bar is 90 calories. 29 grams of Krave cereal is 120. Ditto an ounce of roasted chickpeas. Ice cream sandwich 140... If I want to treat myself after feeling stressed/lousy, I have a few options and I'll still be on track."

(And sometimes, just knowing that I can have it helps me not have it. Other times, I have 'one snack, hold the guilt and self-loathing'. It varies.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    tryan27 wrote: »
    Have been an emotional eater all my life. I have successfully dropped 84 lbs to this point and only have 13 more to go. However this whole time, I have been dealing with major emotional changes. I don't know if it is just age related ( the change) or just because I cannot turn to food to feel better. Anyone have any tips how to keep me from falling off the wagon? T.

Exercise.

I feel much better after some decent exercise rather than after eating.
  • tryan27
    Thanks, I will give your suggestions a try.
  • rachelpelucca
    rachelpelucca Posts: 57 Member
    Just push through! It’s hard and I know because I’m the same way and have been all my life. Keep healthy snacks on hand, when you feel hungry drink lots of water, and allow yourself once or twice a week to eat a meal you really enjoy! You’ve come so far and that’s a huge accomplishment. Keep up the good work! ☺️
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    I've lost 84 lbs too! I've got another 60 to lose, and I'm also menopausal so I've got that box checked as well. I don't think I was an emotional eater, but boy have I got the bad habits. Boredom is my nemesis, not stress. I also don't feel better with exercise, but I do feel a sense of accomplishment if I do something I know I should do more.

For me, it's all about building better habits, so I can maintain them for a lifetime. Mindset is critical!! I'm having to rewire my thinking, and throw out old notions I had about food. It's not about the food. As 88olds said, 'if hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the answer.'

I'd recommend staying conscious of your actions. Unconsciously shoving food into your face might feel like anesthesia, but it comes with a cost you already know well. We break any habit not with willpower, but by replacing them with something else. What brings you joy in the moment? Is it music? dancing? crafting? calling a good friend? playing with the dog? snuggling with someone special? Whatever it is, keep that arsenal ready, and turn to that instead of food. And if you haven't already, get rid of those temptations in your house, car, desk, etc.

I like to think of myself as a recovering addict. That snack isn't just a cookie; it's heroin, alcohol, or whatever another addict would find hard to resist. Looking at it through that lens, helps me understand that the stress, boredom, temptation, is the addiction talking, and I need to fight it harder.

Good luck, and way to go losing the weight, and getting within reach of your goal! You can do this.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member

^^ I wish I could like this six times. I bookmarked this thread because I need to read it over and over, I have the same issues.

When I am super super tired, I eat hoping that will make me feel more normal -- whether it is low energy at work or sleepless night or end-of-day exhaustion at home. It's super counter productive, just a habit and a hope to feel better that I am having the hardest time breaking.

Yesterday noon at work, headachy and low on sleep, I just MADE myself go in our little training room, shut the doors, and do a few sets of lunges, squats, pushups, planks. Then I went for a short walk outside. I felt better afterwards than any food treat could have done. <<<<< This is what I need to remember.
  • mercbenz9
    mercbenz9 Posts: 16 Member
    Exercise always helps, but if I can’t seem to do that, getting lost in a good book helps. And I also enjoy sewing or crocheting to distract myself and keep my hands busy.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    I am struggling with being an emotional eater and depressed about life circumstances that cannot be undone. My God, food is comforting. I cannot make myself exercise but I am going to follow this thread and incorporate some of your ideas. I appreciate everyone sharing their difficulties.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Chewing gum. Then you have something in your mouth, it tasted good and -assuming it's sugar free- the calories are negligible.
  • tryan27
    I find my self chewing sugar free gum and eating a lot of sugar free breath savers. Sometimes a few packs a week. Has a huge GI component though
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    COngrats on your amazing loss! I hope you have before pics and progress pics. That's what reminds me to keep focused. I also don't keep trigger foods in the house. At all. I keep fruit, raw veggies, and other things that I can "munch" on without piling on the calories. I also have one square of 86% dark chocolate every day after dinner. It really helps the comfort food aspect. I started with individually wrapped squares because it helped me stick to just one, but now I break a square off a Ghiardelli bar each evening and it's ok.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    writing stuff out has actually helped me, definitely emotional eater, know I can be sad or sad and fat so I tell myself this when I want to overeat.