Cutting out/restricting bread

Options
I have done this before and it made me feel so good and less bloated. However, I wasn't exercising then.

I want to cut out...well mainly restrict my bread intake. I am a runner and run 3 times a week and my pre run snack in peanut butter on toast (I run at 6.30am!) and when I return I usely have a ham and tomato omlette and another slice ot toast. I need carbs and protein for my ( 2nd :wink: ) breakfast and to help me refuel my run. I am a bit stuck for ideas and nutrition is something I am still figuring out with exercise. I tend to eat bread for breakfast, as a snack and at lunch times! Any breakfast, snack or lunch ideas would be of great help!

Thanks very much in advance :smile:

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have eggs with half a slice of toast for breakfast, soup for lunch (no bread) and chicken and veg for supper. My pre-workout carbs is an instant oatmeal with skim milk and reduced-sugar jam. The best one I found, and I have tried peanut butter on toast too. I used to eat half a loaf of bread a day, but I feel much better since I stopped... :happy:
  • strongissexy1
    Options
    have you tried weight watchers or body wise bread?
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I usually eat some oatmeal before my runs or eat Nature's Own 40cal bread. I'm trying to eat less carbs and more protein. :drinker:
  • brvanover
    Options
    I use Thomas triple health English Muffins. 100 calories for one. They're good, you can put anything on them and I feel like they are a bit healthier than bread. I quit buying actual bread a few weeks ago.
  • cbarnes6852
    Options
    You might could try using soft tortilla like the extreme wellness high fiber or whole wheat in place of the bread.
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I find that Heathy Life bread is fabulous. It is about 35 calories a slice. I swear by it, it is all I buy.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If the issue is that bread makes you feel bloated, doesn't agree with your tummy, maybe you should try switching to a gluten free type? Or try Ezekiel (or another sprouted grain type) bread?
  • cherrypop1
    cherrypop1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What about switching ro Ryvita crispbreads the dark rye are lovely with tuna, light mayo and sweetcorn for lunch. For breakfast maybe have some cereal small amount before your run and then your omelette when you get back....
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    try Raw nuts and or seeds (roasting depletes most -if not all- of the nutrition from the fats) and the good fat from these are Energy--which you need for the run. Raw nuts and seeds are also great carbs too!
    also, Eat Eggs or meats with it.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat carbs...bread, pasta, rice, crackers, cereal, etc. Its not easy but it works for me. When you start the withdrawal is intense...similar to withdrawing from caffine (which I've never been able to do and stick to!). Once off the carb kick, I find that my energy level and mood are greatly improved. I work out 5 times a week for at least 60 minutes. Of that about 3 hours is cardio (I don't run but I walk at a 4+ mph pace). My "go too" breakfast is greek yogurt or a protein shake. I try to make sure I get a good protein hit in the morning.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I use to run track many moons ago. I would have a banana/pre-workout shake w/ almond milk if you don't want dairy, or an energy bar. Nutrigrain bars have plenty of sugar but don't bother your stomach or leave you with that bloated feeling.
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I too am a runner and always look for a good carb-protein mix, I did find some very filling and tasty wraps at WalMart, they are 'carb friendly' helps with my bloat! GOOD LUCK!!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have also cut out all bread & carbs, on my doctor's orders. I love the way it makes me feel, it's definitely the right way to go for me, but I agree that it makes it hard to find good snack foods. I have to plan ahead a lot more, and often spend a weekend afternoon making stuff that I can then grab & eat all week.

Good snacks: hard-boiled eggs, beef jerky, cheese cubes, pork rinds. Sometimes I'll fry up bacon super-crispy (if you have a George Foreman grill, it's good for that) and keep a baggie of crispy bacon pieces in the fridge, to use instead of potato chips... they're really good with hummus dip. You can also use celery sticks. Dunk them in dip or peanut butter or tuna salad. Also, find a protein powder that you like so you can always have the option of just mixing up a quick drink. I like Syntrax Nectar brand, myself, they have a wide variety of flavors.

I have a spinach quiche recipe that I bake in cupcake tins on the weekend, then I have those available all week. I've also, when craving pancakes, mixed up a pretty decent batter using vanilla protein powder, an egg, baking powder, & a little whipping cream. Fry it up just like regular pancake batter, and have a batch of not-bread for the week. I can spread peanut butter on it, or wrap some fruit in it, or put a sausage patty on it & eat it that way.

Just have to figure out what will work best with your lifestyle. Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If the issue is that bread makes you feel bloated, doesn't agree with your tummy, maybe you should try switching to a gluten free type? Or try Ezekiel (or another sprouted grain type) bread?

Seconded. The OP's symptoms reminded me a lot of what my friends with Celiac described when they ate breads, so my mind went to the gluten, too.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have done this before and it made me feel so good and less bloated. However, I wasn't exercising then.

I want to cut out...well mainly restrict my bread intake. I am a runner and run 3 times a week and my pre run snack in peanut butter on toast (I run at 6.30am!) and when I return I usely have a ham and tomato omlette and another slice ot toast. I need carbs and protein for my ( 2nd :wink: ) breakfast and to help me refuel my run. I am a bit stuck for ideas and nutrition is something I am still figuring out with exercise. I tend to eat bread for breakfast, as a snack and at lunch times! Any breakfast, snack or lunch ideas would be of great help!

Thanks very much in advance :smile:

Have you tried going gluten free? If bread makes you sick/bloated you might have an intolerance for it. I'd suggest going GF for a week or two and seeing how you feel. If you try it, eat all GF bread toasted, trust me. Unless you made it at home it will have the taste and texture of a sponge.
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    I would like to point out I don't have a gluten intolerence. I was tested for it 5 years ago when I had badIBS symptoms. Turns out stress caused it. I have tried gluten free bread but its just disgusting! Lol! Thanks for everyones advice :smile:
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have taken to a coffee latte smoothie for my carb/protein mix after a run.
    I mix
    1 scoop of Protein shake mix (vanilla) (I am allergic to artifical sweeteners so I use EAS Soy protein
    1 cup Cold Coffee (I make a huge strong pot at the beginning of the week then refrigerate it so it is cold)
    2 tsp Benefiber powder (Gotta make sure I get some fiber in there)
    1 TBSP of Smuckers Caramel Topping
    1 TBSP Hershey's Chocolate syrup
    a dash of cinnamon
    All in the blender and pour over ice

Makes a great recovery 'meal' that is cold, satisfying and just as good as anything I have ever gotten from Starbucks

Total Calories: 287

I have another friend who makes oatmeal and mixes it with peanut butter. Sounds disgusting to me, I really don't like that much peanut butter, but it works for him.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out I don't have a gluten intolerence. I was tested for it 5 years ago when I had badIBS symptoms. Turns out stress caused it. I have tried gluten free bread but its just disgusting! Lol! Thanks for everyones advice :smile:

Were you tested for gluten intolerance or Celiac, they aren't the same.