Hot or cold?

Options
Woke up this morning with a pain in the neck (and I don't mean the missus). When I turn my head to the right it tightens up and hurts, a sharp pain. I'm going out for a long ride tomorrow and I need to be able to look over my right shoulder at intersections (we drive/ride on the left here in NZ). What's by best shot at getting it right in the shortest amount of time possible? Cold or heat?

T.I.A

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Moist heat for me. It is relaxing. Maybe your muscles are tense and need a massage?
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Hot! Epsome salts bath. Epsome salts cure all things.

And beer.

But mostly epsome salts.
  • bjdw_1977
    bjdw_1977 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Moist heat for me. It is relaxing. Maybe your muscles are tense and need a massage?

Whenever I ask her to massage my muscle she gets suspicious...
    Hot! Epsome salts bath. Epsome salts cure all things.

And beer.

But mostly epsome salts.

But seriously, I was thinking hot bath with a hot cloth on my neck, but it's the middle of the day and 30C (86F) weather, so maybe this evening.

As for beer, one (or six) is never enough and I've got a ride early tomorrow. Beers and BBQ on tomorrow night though (assuming I don't turn in front of traffic I don't see due to bad neck and die).

• L1zardQueen
    Options
    Ibuprofen?
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    Ibuprofen?

Last resort, it doesn't agree with my stomach.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Bummer. Is there anything else you can tolerate?
  • bjdw_1977
    Options
    Bummer. Is there anything else you can tolerate?

I don't know. I haven't tried anything else. I don't get these kinds of pains very often and when I do I just take it easy 'til they go away. This time, however, I gotta ride tomorrow. If I don't ride at the back of the bunch the guy behind me will look after me anyway. I'll just let them know before we head out. If it's still bad tomorrow that is.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The ideal solution depends on the cause. If it's tight, heat. If it's inflamed, ice. The problem is that can be hard to know. You can alternate ice and heat 5-10 minutes each for 20-30 minutes, several times a day. Start and end with ice. If the muscle is tight, this can help stimulate the natural contractions of the muscle. Per my massage therapist.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    If ibuprofen hurts your stomach you can try Tylenol. Icy-hot topical cream could help. I would suggest alternating hot and cold today.