Falling off Keto.

Options
I’ve lost 35 pounds since July of last year but slowly I am falling off because I want so many carb loaded foods. Please help me with some substitutes 😫

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Why not add some carbs into your regular eating plan? If you crave them that much perhaps keto isn't for you.

^ This. Keto isn't a magical weight loss method. It works because some people are satisfied with that way of eating. Others won't be. There's nothing wrong with carbs (hello veggies!), and if you can't stick to keto long-term it'd be far more helpful to find some other way you can stick to instead.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Keto is just a calorie restriction strategy, like anything else. Adding in carbs if you keep restricting calories will not cause you to fall off the wagon.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, keep a deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    How you lose your weight is how you have to maintain it So, if you lose cutting carbs..but start eating them.. yeah.. you'll start regaining. so..maybe keto isn't for you. Perhaps switch your maintenance plan to a more varied food diet. You may want to exercise and start counting calories and transition over to eating all foods. I bet it would take a few weeks of going up and down...but it will level out. I would do that before you regain it all. yikes.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    smcmickle wrote: »
    I’ve lost 35 pounds since July of last year but slowly I am falling off because I want so many carb loaded foods. Please help me with some substitutes 😫

If you've been doing keto for 7 months and are still struggling to limit your foods that way, it might be time to consider that keto just isn't right for you. Many people find that just going generally low carb helps them control their calories well - perhaps you could increase your carb level to more like less than 100g and see if over time that works better for you?

Calories determine weight loss, so keeping to that is the key. But if you think limiting carbs helps you, maybe a slightly less restrictive plan would be better.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    agree with all the above.

you also need to plan for the rest of your life. Keto is a way of eating not just about weight loss. It works well for some people but it is not for everyone.

so if you plan to not do keto forever as a way of eating, this may be a good time to raise your daily carb intake and keep the weight loss in a way that will more easily transition to "maintenance" (post weight loss)
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I also agree with everyone. I know a lot of people who have been successful and continue with Keto, but they also love most of the low carb foods. If you don't and find yourself constantly craving carbs, I would recommend just doing regular calorie counting without food restrictions.

I was one of those people that just really wanted to make Keto work, and it took me almost 2 years of doing it off and on (and ultimately gaining another 20 lbs) to finally realize it was just not going to work for me personally.

Not to mention sustainability, which people often underestimate. Do something you can do forever so you keep off the weight you lose.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Ok, before I get woo'd by the keto zealots, keto DOES have some appetite blunting effects. I also know from some of the research reviews I have read that higher protein diets have an appetite blunting effect as well. In one study obese subjects spontaneously ate an average of 1000 calories a day less when protein was increased to 25-30% of their diet. Some people speculate that PART, not all of keto's appetite blunting effect is higher protein, even though it is a moderate protein diet. It's still higher than the average Americans intake. Though the more research I read, I am beginning to believe that there are is a something about ketosis that adds to this effect. My only 2 gripes about keto are, we are not quite sure how it effects insulin resistance long term and long term sustainability. Some people can and do live a keto lifestyle long term. Many people find it hard to maintain ketosis in our carb rich environment.
  • Fatty_Nuff
    Fatty_Nuff Posts: 273 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Ok, before I get woo'd by the keto zealots, keto DOES have some appetite blunting effects. I also know from some of the research reviews I have read that higher protein diets have an appetite blunting effect as well. In one study obese subjects spontaneously ate an average of 1000 calories a day less when protein was increased to 25-30% of their diet. Some people speculate that PART, not all of keto's appetite blunting effect is higher protein, even though it is a moderate protein diet. It's still higher than the average Americans intake. Though the more research I read, I am beginning to believe that there are is a something about ketosis that adds to this effect. My only 2 gripes about keto are, we are not quite sure how it effects insulin resistance long term and long term sustainability. Some people can and do live a keto lifestyle long term. Many people find it hard to maintain ketosis in our carb rich environment.

I surmise that it is not ketosis or high protein intake at all that causes a reduction in appetite. It's the sheer boredom that sets in from these diets because of the limited choices in foods that makes adherents eat less. It happened to me. Anyone on keto locked in a room with a loaf of freshly baked bread will find out just how appetite blunted they really are. As the OP is experiencing from missing the foods that they probably ate all their life.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Fatty_Nuff wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

I surmise that it is not ketosis or high protein intake at all that causes a reduction in appetite. It's the sheer boredom that sets in from these diets because of the limited choices in foods that makes adherents eat less. It happened to me. Anyone on keto locked in a room with a loaf of freshly baked bread will find out just how appetite blunted they really are. As the OP is experiencing from missing the foods that they probably ate all their life.

I was offering another way for some of the benefits of keto and the ability to eat carbs
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I think in terms of keeping off weight permanently, you need to find a healthy way of eating that you can maintain in the long term. What's helped me is having an everything in moderation approach, and once i lost the weight i certainly didn't go back to how i was eating before (lots of mcdonalds/fried food/sweets), eating to excess and doing no exercise.
    Adding in a few carbs here or there is fine, if its in moderation. For me the more i tell myself i can't have something the more i want it so i've never restricted carbs or done any 'special' diets because i know i will obsess over it and binge! But ABSOLUTELY counting calories/restricting calories (not drastically) and logging my food has helped me the most.
    My tastebuds have adapted and i love lots of healthy foods now and i how i feel when i eat healthily, lots more energy, sleeping better, better health etc. So maybe focus on the healthy foods you do love to eat and enjoy.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    lia85013 wrote: »
    Hi smcmickle,
    I am on a Keto Diet and i have a group here as well. KetoDiet and ketosis are two different things. You are on ketosis only when you fast, you are in Keto Diet to teach your body to switch from sugar to fat energy burning. When your body learns to fat fuel your energy burning, beautiful things happen to your system, and one of them is to help you get into ketosis estate faster. However, your carb cravings are there because your body is still learning, and you MUST stay on truck. Here is how to help your cravings. Make a fat bomb that will leave you so satisfied you won’t want anything else, not even cheesecake or ice cream. Here is how you can make a great fat bomb: take a tbls of shredded coconut, one tbls of almond flower, 1 strawberry or blackberry or any berries, except blueberries, 1/2 tsp of coconut oil and blend all ingredients together. Make a ball with it and put in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Take it out and put the whole thing in your mouth and slowly chew on it. Make it last lol. It will stop all cravings. You can make a few with different berries so you don’t get tired of the same flavor. If you get addicted to bombs don’t worry, they are safe. Join my group and add me as a friend for support and keep on target. Hoping this helps!!

Curious as to why not blueberries?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Because blueberries don't have a lot of fiber so they count as a 'lot' of carbs.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Looking for substitutes? One word for you.... Pintrest. There is literally a substitute for almost anything you have a craving for. Only downside is you will have to shop for the ingredients and prepare it yourself. What are some examples of foods you crave?
  • wearefab
    wearefab Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Keto one month on one month off. Eat lower carb than most people on your month off but have a break from keto.