Surfing, Snowboarding and weight loss

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm going to Cornwall in 7 weeks for 2 days of surfing lessons and heading to Bulgaria for a week of Snowboarding over Christmas however, I'm really overweight and unfit.

I recently joined a gym and have been using MFP solidly for one week and have lost 5 pounds already which has given me a massive boost in confidence and I'm over the moon! But I'm worried that my holidays will creep up on me and I won't be ready.

Do you have any idea what kind of exercises I should be doing to not only melt away the fat but also to prepare me as best as possible for surfing and snowboarding? I'm not expecting miracles but if I can work hard 4-5 times a week I'm really hoping that I won't make too much of a fool of myself infront of my friends and BF!

Thank you,

Jade :)

Replies

• Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I've surfed and snowboarded at all weights and it CAN be done. My biggest advice for surfing, is SWIM, SWIM, SWIM. The only thing that is going to get you ready for that constant paddling motion is to actually get in the water and work those muscles. As for snowboarding, get yourself in some good cardio condition. I would also recommend practicing standing up from a sitting position only using your hands to push up but using your core strenth to actually bring you standing. The hardest part about snowboarding is getting up when you fall down (which will be A LOT your first time). Work on those core muscles. That will be the best preparation for getting up from those awkward positions. Do you have access to a balance board or a bosu? Those will help too. I love my ballance board! It not only helps your core and gets you used to balancing yourself out, but it is lots of fun. I find boarding to be way harder than surfing, but I'm very comfortable in the water and everyone is different. My biggest piece of advice is do not worry about how you look. Both are incredibly fun and addictive, but if you're constantly worying about looking like an idiot, it will ruin the experience. Everyone looks kind of goofy when they are first learning, but the surf/board crowd are generally pretty forgiving and helpful. :) So, core, swim, ballance, have FUN!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am going to learn snowboarding this winter as well. So, in addition to the gym workouts, i just acquired a skateboard! I just stand on it and practice that balance daily this week. then this weekend i will slowly start to move a little bit on it. you may want to try it too! I used to ride skateboards a long time ago--- very LONG time ago :--)

as far as workouts, do Lunges, and elliptical or stair climber, as well as Planks for your mid section.
    Hopefully more people here will comment and give you more ideas. Yoga stretches after your workout for flexibility and balance.

I am happy for you that you are going out for things and will have fun!!!! Good for you!!! Enjoy your life!!!!!!
  • MikeyStapes
    Options
    Jade,

Your workout routine really depends on your current body type and fitness level. There are plenty of intense workouts to do, but if you cannot perform them properly, you'll end up doing more harm than good.

My recommendation is maintain a consistent cardiovascular regimen of at least 4 hours per week. Push yourself through these workouts and, as you can do more, increase your duration or challenge. Weight and resistance training is also very important in not only toning muscle but shedding pounds. Do no concentrate on one specific area, though (i.e. – all core exercises). Doing a circuit-type workout with short breaks in between sets keeps the heart rate up and offers effective muscle building.

Finally, considering your recent surf lessons and upcoming snowboarding trip, you have all the incentive in the world to really go to town on your legs. I would recommend walking lunges, squats (on a bosu ball for more challenge), and assorted plyometrics. Exercises that work your legs but also require core stability will help you lessen the fatigue of your legs while on the mountain.

Your legs are responsible for the most calorie usage in a full-body workout. Think of your body like a tree; without a strong root system, the rest can’t grow effectively.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other recommendations, I also recommend doing some focused exercises on your ankles. Snowboarding (and I assume surfing) is a hell of a workout on your ankles, and a lot of people's ankles are quite weak from forgetting to work them out, plus wrapping them in high top shoes.

Also, if you can, start doing squats. Check out the "200 squats" program for a 6-week program that will help you get stronger (even if you can't do 200 at the end of it, you will still likely do a ton more than what you started at), and will help, since it uses a lot of the same muscles as your position when you're actually on a board.
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    In addition to the other recommendations, I also recommend doing some focused exercises on your ankles. Snowboarding (and I assume surfing) is a hell of a workout on your ankles, and a lot of people's ankles are quite weak from forgetting to work them out, plus wrapping them in high top shoes.

YES! Good point. I have VERY weak ankles, and although snowboard boots are pretty sturdy, I did mange to bust one one the mountain once. And they can get very sore. (Don't worry too much about the ankle busting. It's pretty hard to do).
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Core and leg strength exercises. I'm a skier, so the muscles are worked a bit differently, but it is one hell of a core workout. :)
  • jgkimo
    jgkimo Posts: 61
    Options
    Strengthen your core. Both of those sports require balance & with a strong core you will bo just fine.