Target heart rate - beginner running

Options
luckycleo777
luckycleo777 Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
(Disclaimer - I feel absolutely stupid asking this, but I don't know much about running. I searched the boards for similar questions and didn't find anything.)
After doing incline walking on my treadmill for 6 weeks or so, keeping my heart rate around 140bpm for 30min+, I decided I wanted to start running (on the street, not on the treadmill). I've seen the couch to 5k programs that suggest 1 minute running, 1 minute walking. Well, I can't jog for 1 minute. It's very sad, haha. I jogged/walked for 1.3 miles, it took me 18 minutes, I got very out of breath. I checked my apple watch afterwards and it said while I was jogging, my heart rate peaked in the high 170's several times during my running bits (I think this is accurate, considering how winded I was.) It got down to 140s during my 'recovery' walking periods.
I am a 35yo female with no health issues. Is it dangerous for me to continue this intensity of exercise? I know that no one here can give me medical advice, would just like to hear stories of when people got started running, because I know everyone starts somewhere. I also feel like that if I didn't have my heart rate monitor I wouldn't be freaking out as much, because it's normal to get winded running. :)
Thanks in advance! Please be nice! I have pretty serious health anxiety that I am struggling to manage.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Another "go slower" here too.

You should try running by perceived effort and aiming for a pace at which you can carry on a conversation and then very gradually add time before worrying about speed. It's all about building your aerobic base first.

Have fun!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Almost 41 year old man here. Your HR isn't out of the ordinary. Most of my runs are in the high 160s to low 170s.

But slow down. If you can't finish 1 minute run, your going too fast.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "slow down" camp, too, and it sounds like you're now on board with that advice. Yay!

Two comments, just as background:

* The age-based formulas for estimating maximum heart rate are quite inaccurate for a surprisingly large fraction of the population. Age-based estimates are usually what your heart rate monitor or heart-rate-based fitness tracker is using to identify heart rate percentages or "zones" if you haven't told it anything different. If how you feel is giving you different feedback about intensity than a device's percentage of HR would suggest, trust how you feel.

* It's always good to check in with your doctor when starting a new exercise program, especially an intense or challenging one. If that's been done, and you've been medically cleared, seeing a high heart rate occasionally when working hard is fine, and normal. Sometimes people new to exercise think it's always bad or dangerous or ineffective to exceed a particular heart rate (or percentage). In particular, "max heart rate" is not a number you shouldn't exceed, it's a number you can't exceed (outside of medical crisis) - it's a measurement about maximum capacity.

If you're healthy, seeing a high heart rate occasionally should be fine. I wouldn't suggest trying to maximize your heart rate while exercising, even with medical approval, until you have a good base of fitness that you've created through the kind of lower-intensity exercise you're doing now. Slow and steady is the best way to start.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Heart rate varies a lot person to person. It's better for establishing your own trends.

I'm a 35 male (average fitness) ... my 7 day resting HR average is 49.

I find with my heart rate at 175 i am very conversational, breathing at appropriate rhythm, and feel good. I sing to verses of songs. At 185 I start to feel the thump between my ears strongly

But those are the measures id recommend you aim for ... are you able to talk without huffing and puffing. Then find out what heart rate that is.

Heart rate is super useful, for showing changes and trends, but you need to know your own limits and baselines first.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I’m in the “slow down” camp as well. FWIW I just started c25k one week ago. Prior to that I built up to consistently walking 60+ minutes per day and increasing my pace over time. I am over 50 and felt I needed a good fitness baseline before attempting this program. I am continuing walks on my rest days from c25k and all is going well so far.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'll chime in - go a little slower than @duckpuddle suggested... Running and getting faster are counter intuitive. You get faster in the beginning by going slower. You have nothing to prove - remember you're trying to gain fitness and health not win the Olympics. A very serious goal is to make sure you stay healthy and avoid injury as your body adapts to the rigors of running. This adaptation takes many months for your skeletal system and connective tissues. Your cardiovascular and respiratory system adapt much more quickly.
    So enjoy the process. It doesn't need to hurt. Go slowly and enjoy the springtime air. Soon enough you'll be going much faster.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    This post is a month old now, but I wanted to update! (I am the original poster but it wouldn't let me update my post.)

I followed everyone's (very good!) advice and slowed down! To do this I had to switch to the treadmill. I've been doing interval run/walks (jogging/walks really) every other day, and just walking on the rest of the days. A few days ago I realized that walking is very boring and doesn't get my heart rate up anymore, and I wanted to jog some on my walk days. Today I jogged 1.5 miles without taking a walk break... success!

Thanks again to everyone who commented and encouraged me!

Hooray! I love it when someone comes back and reports what they did, and how things came out, after getting advice on a thread.

So, thanks . . . and congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • Jen788134
    Jen788134 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Well done! Keep up the good work 👍 Sounds like you’re enjoying the buzz 😀
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Super news! Well done.
    So great to hear.

Now you’re getting addicted, I saw someone post another great piece of advice... not to try to race a 5k/get a PB until you can run/jog 10k. Man I wish some wise person had told me that!

I started my running completely wrong, always running 5ks and trying to get better times. It took so long for me to be able to complete the 5k without a walking break in it even though I was getting my times down, but so counter productive. I wish I’d built that endurance base first and then worked on getting quicker, it’s a lot easier than every race being like a max effort interval session!
  • Girlheidi
    Girlheidi Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!

I'm on week 8 of couch 25k and "run" at 4.6 mph. It works for me but my OH thinks I'm very slow, 😁
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This post is a month old now, but I wanted to update! (I am the original poster but it wouldn't let me update my post.)

I followed everyone's (very good!) advice and slowed down! To do this I had to switch to the treadmill. I've been doing interval run/walks (jogging/walks really) every other day, and just walking on the rest of the days. A few days ago I realized that walking is very boring and doesn't get my heart rate up anymore, and I wanted to jog some on my walk days. Today I jogged 1.5 miles without taking a walk break... success!

Thanks again to everyone who commented and encouraged me!

I'll say 'good job' but this focus on the HR is not necessary. I sometimes run 20 miles and try really hard to NOT get my HR up. That doesn't mean the 20 miles didn't kick my *kitten*. It just means I wasn't pushing it (and there was no reason to care).

Keep it simple and enjoy yourself. Good luck.