Not your usual introductory post

Options
Hello, I am new to this site, and honestly all I can think is ... "Ugh, not another start at weight loss!" It isn't that I don't know I need to lose weight (hello, I weigh 270 pounds!), nor is it that I don't think I need the help, support, and encouragement of others, all while giving the same in return. No, it's the fact that I've been right here a dozen times before, certain this will be THE TIME I lose the weight and keep it off. And I do lose a bit in the beginning ... and then I don't lose any weight at all, even though I'm doing my level best to follow whatever plan it is I'm trying. As a result I'm a bit discouraged before I even get started.

Still, my mother has always told me that if you don't succeed a thousand times, the 1,001st time may be exactly what you need. And so, here I am. I've spent some time reading the success stories and other posts, poking around the site, and generally getting familiarized with the tools and people who are here. And even though I know I NEED to lose weight, I've decided that weight loss isn't my first goal here. My first goal is getting right with myself - taking better care of myself, eating better, getting rid of the things that are bad for me. Not bad for my waistline, but bad for me. Goodbye, ginormous muffins for breakfast! So long, big pieces of cake! See ya around, big buckets of soda!

I know I won't be perfect, and honestly, the worst part will be giving up Dr. Pepper (and even that will be a process), since I don't like coffee, and giving up caffeine completely just isn't in the cards right now. But maybe when I see just how many calories I've been drinking, it might cause me to modify my behavior a little bit? I know what my health risks are, being this big. I know how difficult this will be. But I think I can do it, one bad habit at a time. And I'll start adding in better ones to replace them. Hello, elliptical machine at the gym! How ya doin, evening walks? What shakin, baked and broiled fish?!

I'm hopeful ... cautiously hopeful that maybe, this 1001st time, my mind is in the right place and I can stay on track, not get discouraged when I hit a plateau, and I can finally start to see some very real progress. Even if the progress is that I don't crave soda and sweets all the time, I'll consider that a victory.

I can do this - I just need to be sure I don't get overwhelmed. Set goals, and focus on one at a time. That's how great people are made, isn't it? ;-)

Replies

• Eliannasmom
    Eliannasmom Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome... the first steps are always the hardest! Make this the time :)
  • suse75
    suse75 Posts: 33
    Options
    Yes you can do this. This site is a great support system. Feel free to add me :)
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! I was drinking 100+ ounces of Dr. Pepper a day. I have quit it cold turkey, I had headaches for a couple days but going to the gym and working out helped get rid of those headaches as well as good ole' ibuprofen. You can do it, you will be amazed the amount of energy you are on the cusp of gaining!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Greetings and good luck!

When your scale stops showing a loss (happens to us all) tart measuring yourself with a tape measure, which will still show loss if you're sticking to the plan and thus keep you motivated.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You are definitely at the right place for support. All of those new habits -- and breaking old ones -- sound great and very doable. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    I think you have to get into the mindset that this is a PERMANENT LIFE STYLE CHANGE. If and when you reach your ideal weight, if you don't keep up what you've been doing, you will definitely gain it all back. Thus starts your new life if you so choose to do so.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First of all, Welcome! You are definitely not alone in your struggles. I know exactly how you feel, because I was there 8 months ago. I can't tell you how many times I tried to lose weight, but I can tell you the percent of time I gained it back, 100%.

I took a different approach this time and it sounds like you are taking the same one. I didn't try to fix everything or eat perfectly. I tried to take each choice I have and make the healthier one. If I fail, I don't let that bad choice lead me to another one. (I call that the one cookie/whole bag syndrome.:ohwell: ) I focused on getting my water goal in EVERY DAY and I keep my weekly calories under my goal (logging everything, regardless of how embarrassing it was). Nothing is off limits. If I have the calories, and I want an order of fries, I get it. I have found, though, that the small fries is enough.

I like your login, and I believe you can embody that! Make progress every day, be honest with yourself and use the support of your friends here in MFP and in 6 months, you will truly be amazed at how far you have come. :drinker:
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You'll do it! BTW, Diet Dr Pepper rocks. Give it a try ;-)
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Welcome! Your at the right place. We all love each other (even on good and bad days lol).....and support as much as you allow us to. And of course we like the support too :-)

Just remember....you only fail if you give up! You can't move forward looking in the rearview mirror. You can do it if you really want it. And we will be here if you need us.

Welcome to MFP!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am glad you are taking the steps toward a healthy lifestyle change. People use the word diet when they are trying to lose weight so often. But really there are so many other factors than just the food that contribute to our unhealthy approaches to the world around us. Congratulations on realizing, acknowledging and making a positive move toward changing your whole attitude toward food, yourself and those around you. Not only how you treat them, but how you allow them to treat you. You may find that you end up cutting out things other than food from your new healthier lifestyle. Like negative self-talk, or accepting it from others. You CAN do this! And some days you will not do so well as others, but just keep at it and you will find that life is good in so many ways!
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    Loved your post. You are straight forward & honest with yourself & others. You are also very smart and realistic, & very right - the goal here should be what's healthy and good for you. You can do it, even if you feel discouraged. Surround yourself with supportive friends & family. The people here on MFP are fantastic & will help you along the way. Add me as a friend if you like, I like to help, & can use some support myself.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You'll do it! BTW, Diet Dr Pepper rocks. Give it a try ;-)

JEALOUS! Love Dr. Pepper, but allergic to artificial sweeteners. Urgh! I DO give myself a treat and have a DP every once in a while though.
  • Betsybeee
    Betsybeee Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on coming back! I've come back and forth myself. However, each time, I do better! and you'll do the same!
  • cherrytomatoes
    Options
    hi and welcome
    I think you will do it this time - apparently people who are successful at losing weight and keeping it off have usually tried loads of times before.

Good luck and be kind and patient with yourself.

What's working for me is to adopt the attitude that I am not perfect and I do have good days and not so good days but overall the scales are mostly going downwards.

9613693.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BobL436
    BobL436 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The last comment you made is probably the most important! Make goals, long term and short term. Give yourself weekly goals, daily goals, whatever it takes to get the routine rolling. Small steps over time will add up to major accomplishments. Just stay consistent and be proud of what you're doing! MFP is a great place to start. There are wonderful people on this site that will help and support you. Be honest, open, and interact with others and you will succeed!!!

Feel free to add me as a friend. You can do this! :smile:
  • Doresoontobehealthy
    Doresoontobehealthy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Wow this sounds like something I could have written. So many of us are in the same place that you are. I'm at the beginning of my 1001 time doing this. All I can do is take things one meal at a time. Try to make the right decisions when there aren't a whole lot of options available. I know you can find the inner strength to be successful.
  • LauraC_NH
    LauraC_NH Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I loved reading your post. I think that was because I am in the same boat. I, too, am on my 1,001st time trying to lose (and keep off) this weight. But, like you, I am just trying to change one bad habit at a time. I'm new to the site too and have found it to be very informative. My first goal is to log every bite I put into my mouth no matter how embarrassing it may be, or how far over my calorie goal. I think the main difference for me this time is not trying to tackle too many things at once.

There is a lot of support on these boards. Feel free to add me as a friend...I know I could use the extra support as well.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

You'll find while "getting right with yourself", you'll become healthier and lose weight.

As for Dr. Pepper - I was right there with you! After realizing I could spend 150cals on something else, I knew I had to ween myself off them. I'd start working on having just one can less a day. Then when I couldn't have less, I'd substitute one for a Diet one instead. Now if I still need one, which is rare, I grab a Diet Dr. Pepper. Just remember baby steps. :wink:

You'll do great here!
    Manda
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You can and will succeed especially with the support from MFP members.
    Good luck and feel free to add me
  • ThatGamesStudent
    Options
    Welcome. I am certain you can do it :)