Calorie Counting Difficulties.

Options
Hey Yall! I have began to start counting my calories since I am trying to lose weight and I am in a deficit right now, I saw a very educational nutrionist that helped me out so much but I forgot a lot of information she told me. I DO NOT usually weigh my food, I mostly use the barcode or measuring cups. I know this will be complicated, but I am getting so frustrated over counting every single thing I eat. There are days I get out of work and I am so hungry I make the food and just eat, there are days I eat out, there are days my dad cooks outside it is hard measuring every single food, how do you all do it? Are there easier steps for this? I get really frustrated honestly I don't know why losing weight has to be so difficult. My cousin does not count her calories and she is losing the weight fast, 8 lbs in 2 weeks :( I feel I will be forever fat tbh.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    on days you eat out etc - best to estimate what you eat - but that being said - weighing food with a) provide you the most accurate view of what you are eating and b) allow you to be more accurate when you do have to estimate

its not hard, but it can be tedious - the more you do it, the easier it gets
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to weigh your food to lose weight, you just need to eat in a deficit.

How you do that is up to you.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I estimate a lot, and occasionally check the weight of one of my regular foods. That way I find out if my guess was nearly accurate, or otherwise get a surprise at how far off I was. Then make adjustments for future entries.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    If logging food is stressing you out, don't do it.

I find it liberating, honestly. When I was trying to lose weight on my own I just went back and forth between binge eating and starving. Logging food gives me a goal and a reasonable amount of food I can stick to on a consistent basis. Most importantly it gives me nourishment instead of the lackadaisical way I used to eat.

It takes me about five minutes total to log my food. If I'm out I can take a picture or write down what I ate and log it later.

What else have you tried?
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    There are a lot of diets. One of them is counting calories. If you don't count them you aren't on this diet. Its ok. Like you said, you have a cousin who is doing something different and its working for her. But, if you want to count calories you have to get a scale and weigh what you eat.

For my part, I like weighing and measuring.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    It really will get easier. You’ll find you repeat the same foods a lot, and the app will start suggesting frequent foods or combos to you. And for my favorite foods, I took the ten or fifteen minutes to enter the actual recipes. Once done you don’t have to do it again, for example, for homemade pizza, I just select my own recipe and number of servings and that meal is done. Plus gives me the opportunity to tinker with the recipe. “What if I cut back on cheese? Use part skim cheese versus whole milk cheese? What if I use this topping instead of that one or use less pepperoni?” Logging is well worth the effort. It will make you a lot more conscious of what’s going in your mouth if you’re honest and consistent with it.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of diets. One of them is counting calories. If you don't count them you aren't on this diet. Its ok. Like you said, you have a cousin who is doing something different and its working for her. But, if you want to count calories you have to get a scale and weigh what you eat.

I know but it’s said everywhere in order to lose weight you need to track mostly everything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JanetReyna wrote: »

I know but it’s said everywhere in order to lose weight you need to track mostly everything.

No, in order to lose weight you just eat in a deficit.

One way to ensure a deficit is to count calories
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    ^^^this. counting is a means that leads to an ends—weight loss.