Clarification

Options
So I average @ 334 extra calories with the stationery bike and then fit bit keeps adding to my calorie count as the day goes on it even increases my proteins and fats. Are you eating your extra calories ? I’m at 1250 per day to lose 1-2 per week but if I try to eat all
They add on I am way off

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you trust that you actually burned an extra 334, then yes, you should eat it back.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Is your Fitbit synced to mfp? I’m assuming yes. And how that works is Fitbit tells mfp how many calories you’ve burned for the day (total) and mfp subtracts what it thinks you’ve burned and the difference is your adjustment/exercise calories. If you continue to be active through the day, this adjustment will increase because youre burning more calories.

As you burn more calories, you should be eating more - so Mfp increases your calories (and macro nutrients) accordingly.

Are you logging the stationary biking on mfp (you shouldn’t be if your Fitbit is synced and your Fitbit is tracking the exercise)

How long have you been following this?

How long have you had your Fitbit?

Do you weigh your food (not measure-weigh)?

FWIW-I’ve had my Fitbit synced to mfp for about 5 years and I’ve lost/gained/maintained as expected by rating all of my Fitbit exercise calorie adjustments.
  • dawnymo1
    dawnymo1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is your Fitbit synced to mfp? I’m assuming yes. And how that works is Fitbit tells mfp how many calories you’ve burned for the day (total) and mfp subtracts what it thinks you’ve burned and the difference is your adjustment/exercise calories. If you continue to be active through the day, this adjustment will increase because youre burning more calories.

As you burn more calories, you should be eating more - so Mfp increases your calories (and macro nutrients) accordingly.

Are you logging the stationary biking on mfp (you shouldn’t be if your Fitbit is synced and your Fitbit is tracking the exercise)

How long have you been following this?

How long have you had your Fitbit?

Do you weigh your food (not measure-weigh)?

FWIW-I’ve had my Fitbit synced to mfp for about 5 years and I’ve lost/gained/maintained as expected by rating all of my Fitbit exercise calorie adjustments.

• dawnymo1
    Options
    I am not double tracking exercise just the steps I have synced
    I have no problem with the rate of weight loss was just curious if everyone is eating the extra’s gained by exercising
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options
    So I’m still confused. Are you logging exercise (stationary biking) on mfp? And which Fitbit do you have?

As for what people do...

For exercise calories - you should he eating them. Your deficit is set up so you will lose that amount even if you never exercise at all.

However, some people eat a percentage of the calories because some estimates can be quite high (like 400 calories for 30 min on the elliptical).

When it comes to having a synced tracker-some people find they estimate correctly, some find they overestimate, some find they underestimate. It takes a good 4-6 weeks (at least) to tell.

And if you’re not weighing your food, all bets are off because chances are that what you’re logging isn’t the amount you’re actually eating-which is Ok if you do so consistently.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    You should be eating at least most of your exercise calories back especially if you are at a low goal like yours (1250).
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    So I’m still confused. Are you logging exercise (stationary biking) on mfp? And which Fitbit do you have?

As for what people do...

For exercise calories - you should he eating them. Your deficit is set up so you will lose that amount even if you never exercise at all.

However, some people eat a percentage of the calories because some estimates can be quite high (like 400 calories for 30 min on the elliptical).

When it comes to having a synced tracker-some people find they estimate correctly, some find they overestimate, some find they underestimate. It takes a good 4-6 weeks (at least) to tell.

And if you’re not weighing your food, all bets are off because chances are that what you’re logging isn’t the amount you’re actually eating-which is Ok if you do so consistently.

Fitbit only transfer the steps to MFP.. anything hard exercise should be input in MFP if that's your main app u use for calories counting.

I personally use MFP to just input the meals.. and I use Fitbit do the CICO calc.. synch the cal in to Fitbit app. Personal pref really ..
  • dawnymo1
    Options

As for what people do...

I'm not really sure why your messages seem to be suggesting I am unhappy with what I am doing. Also why you would assume I am not logging my food. My question was is everyone eating back their exercise extras..... thank you for your input
  • dawnymo1
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    You should be eating at least most of your exercise calories back especially if you are at a low goal like yours (1250).

Thank you I thought so too but I have only been doing this program for a month so I wanted to get some feedback on what everyone else seems to be doing. Have a great day
  • Duck_Puddle
    edited February 2019
    Options
    dawnymo1 wrote: »

As for what people do...

I'm not really sure why your messages seem to be suggesting I am unhappy with what I am doing. Also why you would assume I am not logging my food. My question was is everyone eating back their exercise extras..... thank you for your input

I think we are equally confused by what the other is trying to say

You said “if I try to eat all they add on I am way off” in your original post. That’s where I got the idea thought the Fitbit estimate was too high.

I didn’t ever suggest you weren’t logging. I mentioned weighing the food you’re logging.

My other questions were to make sure I understood what you’re actually doing. If you’re logging exercise in mfp and have a synced fitbit-then you shouldn’t be eating all those calories.

Just trying to set you up for success and trying to understand what your situation is so I can give you the best answer.

“Eat your exercise calories” is correct - assuming everything else is in place.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I let hunger be my guide. If I am hungry I eat back enough calories to satisfy that hunger. Sometimes the hunger happens the day after the exercise. I find taking the weekly view of net calories to be a useful tool.
  • dawnymo1
    Options

As for what people do...

You said “if I try to eat all they add on I am way off” in your original post. That’s where I got the idea thought the Fitbit estimate was too high.

I didn’t ever suggest you weren’t logging. I mentioned weighing the food you’re logging.

My other questions were to make sure I understood what you’re actually doing. If you’re logging exercise in mfp and have a synced fitbit-then you shouldn’t be eating all those calories.

Just trying to set you up for success and trying to understand what your situation is so I can give you the best answer.

I understand now , thanks for the clarification. I am having a hard time eating all that I am suppose too once the calories get added in for my steps for the day. I am ok with the exercise bike and I get what you are saying the fitbit will add it in for me no need for me to do it on mfp. I have had a fitbit for over five years now . My struggle at this point is eating enough calories (which by the way I never thought I would day) and I don't want to eat to just eat so I am trying to adjust to adding a bit in during the day. I am a long time WW so brain washed a bit with them. I really like using this compared to WW because I can see my day better then just looking at points
  • lx1x
    Options
    I let hunger be my guide. If I am hungry I eat back enough calories to satisfy that hunger. Sometimes the hunger happens the day after the exercise. I find taking the weekly view of net calories to be a useful tool.

I do the same.. 👍
  • dawnymo1
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »

As for what people do...

Fitbit only transfer the steps to MFP.. anything hard exercise should be input in MFP if that's your main app u use for calories counting.

I personally use MFP to just input the meals.. and I use Fitbit do the CICO calc.. synch the cal in to Fitbit app. Personal pref really ..

Now I am really confused. I have been adding in the stationery bike on the MFP and the steps are being synced from Fitbit is that not right ………….so it is two sources of extra calories
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

As for what people do...

I understand now , thanks for the clarification. I am having a hard time eating all that I am suppose too once the calories get added in for my steps for the day. I am ok with the exercise bike and I get what you are saying the fitbit will add it in for me no need for me to do it on mfp. I have had a fitbit for over five years now . My struggle at this point is eating enough calories (which by the way I never thought I would day) and I don't want to eat to just eat so I am trying to adjust to adding a bit in during the day. I am a long time WW so brain washed a bit with them. I really like using this compared to WW because I can see my day better then just looking at points

NOW I gotcha. So I’m going to stick with seeing what happens after 4-6 weeks. If you’re losing as expected (or at a rate you’re comfortable with) then carry on and it’s all good-regardless of what numbers say what.

If you’re losing too quickly, or you’re finding yourself fatigued or having other issues-maybe see if you can add a little bit to your intake.

Eating just to eat feel awful so I wouldn’t want to do it either. So play it by ear and see what happens after 4-6 weeks.

• Duck_Puddle
    Options

As for what people do...

Now I am really confused. I have been adding in the stationery bike on the MFP and the steps are being synced from Fitbit is that not right ………….so it is two sources of extra calories

How it works is that Fitbit sends over your total daily calorie burn-which includes day to day stuff and any exercise logged on your Fitbit.

Mfp then subtracts out what it thinks you burn for the day (based on your settings here plus any workoutus logged) and the difference is your Fitbit “steps” adjustment (although it has nothing to do with steps at all).

Where things get wonky...if you’re logging exercise on mfp that is also on Fitbit, your mfp entry is supposed to overwrite what’s on Fitbit for that time period - but that doesn’t always work quite right.

Plus, Fitbit calorie burns for workouts include the calories that you would have burned while sitting on the couch for that time - and those calories are also already part of what MFP thinks you’ll burn for the day.

So if your Fitbit is one where you log exercises on the watch, you’re better off NOT logging exercise on mfp (as long as it’s on the Fitbit). The calories burned will carry over in the “steps” adjustment (that has nothing to do with steps).

If you’re got an older Fitbit (like the One) where you don’t record workouts on the Fitbit, then you do want to record the exercise on MFP.

Confused yet? LOL

Basically-Only enter exercise on mfp that is NOT on your Fitbit.

• lx1x
    Options

As for what people do...

You doing it right .. only steps and food get synched by mfp and fitbit..

So if you doing extra excercises.. Fitbit will track it.. but it doesn't get transferred into mfp.. hence I just use it for food intake... And I check my in/out on Fitbit app..
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

As for what people do...

No. That’s not correct. Fitbit transfers your TDEE to mfp. Mfp subtracts your NEAT and any workouts you’ve entered on mfp. The difference is your Fitbit adjustment. It has nothing to do with steps. It’s TDEE. The steps are listed there, but they have nothing to do with the adjustment amount. Click the information button or go through the entry in the app to see how rhe calculation is done.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Options

As for what people do...

You doing it right .. only steps and food get synched by mfp and fitbit..

So if you doing extra excercises.. Fitbit will track it.. but it doesn't get transferred into mfp.. hence I just use it for food intake... And I check my in/out on Fitbit app..

That’s not correct at all. It absolutely gets transferred via the calorie total. It doesn’t send an entry to your mfp diary for the workout itself- but the calories are included in the adjustment amount.