Help! i want to have a cheat day but scared incase i mess up my diet!.

Options
124»

Replies

• corrarjo
    corrarjo Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So you don’t plan to eat McDonalds,KFC or Pizza ever again?
    Sounds like a plan to me.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »
    The original topic was cheat meals/days. Personally, I can't afford either. For me it's a narrow path. I don't want to be lifted out of the house with a crane and buried in a piano case.
    That being said, everyone has their own story.

I think the idea of a "cheat meal" is misplaced in some ways. It's a lot easier to plan your day, with regards to calories, around two slices of pizza, a piece of cake, or some other food that you've chosen not to eat very often.

There's also the connotation of the word "cheat" which I don't actually find helpful. Eating food isn't cheating regardless of whether or not it fits within your calorie allowance. I think the idea of being accountable is probably more apt. I don't take cheat days, I figure out ways to make X food fit into my calorie allowance. That can involve things like saving what for me is a high caloric meal for after an intense workout, eating light meals to bank calories for a larger meal later in the day, or skipping breakfast (I only really do that on Sundays when I don't have to be anywhere in the morning/haven't worked out in the morning).

And yes, everyone has their own story. That said, you're not setting yourself up for success unless you are a zebra in a field of horses (medically speaking).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    The original topic was cheat meals/days. Personally, I can't afford either. For me it's a narrow path. I don't want to be lifted out of the house with a crane and buried in a piano case.
    Assuming that is you in your avatar, my dad was about your size, was scared into a diet with similar calorie restrictions by his doctor. He lost the weight, put it all back on over the next few years because he never learned a healthy way of eating, and died.

He had other issues, but per his doctor and the doctors at Mt Sinai he could could have greatly increased his chances of living a few more years based on a healthy diet alone.

The important part here, is that his doctor had no idea what constituted a healthy diet. The only thing the docs at Mt. Sinai agreed with him on was that the old man needed to lose a lot of weight.

Like you said though, your path your story. Based on my experience watching and caring for a man who did the exact same thing you're doing, I would strongly recommend getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

That said, I wish you well.

One of the things I hate to see in the forums are people who come here having been given blanket advice by their doctor like eating a 1200 calorie diet (regardless of their stats), or "cut out carbs" with no medical concern that warrants that. Now, I'm not talking about a situation where a person's life is in imminent danger due to their weight and they may need to be put on a monitored VLCD, I just mean the average person who may be very overweight or pre-diabetic, etc. The thinking is probably that the person is going to eat more than that, or not going to completely eliminate carbs, and by giving them such low numbers to shoot for that at least they'll lose something. But it's so frustrating, because people naturally assume the doctor knows best (even though they receive a measly amount of training in diet/nutrition), and the extreme diet teaches them nothing about long-term weight management.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    Assuming that is you in your avatar, my dad was about your size, was scared into a diet with similar calorie restrictions by his doctor. He lost the weight, put it all back on over the next few years because he never learned a healthy way of eating, and died.

He had other issues, but per his doctor and the doctors at Mt Sinai he could could have greatly increased his chances of living a few more years based on a healthy diet alone.

The important part here, is that his doctor had no idea what constituted a healthy diet. The only thing the docs at Mt. Sinai agreed with him on was that the old man needed to lose a lot of weight.

Like you said though, your path your story. Based on my experience watching and caring for a man who did the exact same thing you're doing, I would strongly recommend getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

That said, I wish you well.

One of the things I hate to see in the forums are people who come here having been given blanket advice by their doctor like eating a 1200 calorie diet (regardless of their stats), or "cut out carbs" with no medical concern that warrants that. Now, I'm not talking about a situation where a person's life is in imminent danger due to their weight and they may need to be put on a monitored VLCD, I just mean the average person who may be very overweight or pre-diabetic, etc. The thinking is probably that the person is going to eat more than that, or not going to completely eliminate carbs, and by giving them such low numbers to shoot for that at least they'll lose something. But it's so frustrating, because people naturally assume the doctor knows best (even though they receive a measly amount of training in diet/nutrition), and the extreme diet teaches them nothing about long-term weight management.
    I completely agree with you. I've had numerous bad calls from a few doctors, including one that gave me 6 months to live (misdiagnosed an infection for Lymphoma) and one that resulted in living with extreme pain for a year that was totally unnecessary.

I really have nothing but respect for the medical profession, but the doctors I have now that are my go to pros are those who ask questions, can admit they do not know and will refer me to someone who does...and a few other tidbits.

There's nothing wrong, and often everything right with seeking another opinion. In my case that second opinion was a game changer, literally gave me a quality of life I hadn't known for years, not diet related though. :)
  • corrarjo
    Options
    This is just my opinion mind you. It's probably illegal and unethical to make a diagnosis on a message board, based on some entries in an online calculator, without actually examining the patient. Like I said before, everyone has their own story.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion mind you. It's probably illegal and unethical to make a diagnosis on a message board, based on some entries in an online calculator, without actually examining the patient. Like I said before, everyone has their own story.

Common ground! We've found it! Well except it's not illegal for non-health care professionals to make a diagnosis (how would it be?) but I'd argue that it's often pretty unethical. I don't think anyone has tried to diagnosis anyone with anything on in this thread.

And again, while everyone has their own story (something I also agree with you on in principal), most people do share some commonalities. For example, unrelated to weight, most people can learn a language. Those that can't have some major developmental issues (either congenital or acquired), but the vast majority of the population has the ability to learn a spoken or signed language.
  • corrarjo
    edited February 2019
    Options
    What’s not ok is for you to spout advice to others based on your absurdly unhealthy and unsustainable way of eating.
    The only advice I've actually "spouted" is cut sugar intake and eat your vegetables. Based on some "advice" I've seen I can get all the extra calories I need from a handful of Oreos. Advice is just more information to digest (no pun intended) and there is no such thing as too much information. What I choose to ignore is all the finger waging. So without further adieu, I'm outta here.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

FYI, in replies to specific posters, I don't tell people to disregard their doctor's advice, but encourage them to ask questions and find out why their doctor recommends a particular course. If people don't share that they have a particular medical concern, even the most benign advice could be harmful to them. My comments were in general and not in regards to any particular poster.
  • AlissaAMTaylor
    AlissaAMTaylor Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Instead of a whole day. Why not have a cheat meal? Or save calories for something you really love.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

No one who holds a medical qualification would provide a diagnosis on a message board or without an examination/consultation.

No insight, advice, opinion, comment or feedback offered by a layperson on a message board comes close to being a diagnosis. In fact, the phase 'see your doctor' or 'speak to a professional' is practically always offered in cases where the subject matter strays beyond the scope of the group. At most people will advise to seek a second opinion when the advice offered by a professional (or semi-professional) seems to stray from conventional wisdom.

The great thing about this board is that everyone is free to offer their insight and advice. Indeed I'd say that's the central theme of this group and this forum.

The other great thing about this board is that the bad advice that is freely given is subject to a form of peer review via the like/woo reacts so that it's very easy to separate wheat from the chaff.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My advice would be don't think of it as a diet and don't think about cheat days.

Look at your calories in and out. I probably wouldn't now after a year of logging have a takeaway once a week. However we do have them still. If I want a biscuit I have a biscuit, if I want cake I have cake. But I always try to stick within my calories.

If you're exercising you will have more calories to play with.

I've l9st 62lbs so far not dieting and not having cheat days. To me a cheat day means you'll allow yourself to binge rather than eating what you want in moderation.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    4 years ago, I lost 65lbs from March until Sept. doing 1 cheat meal a week. I lowered my calories during the week to make up for it. I did the 1st 50lbs w/o exercise too.