Gut issues

Options
I started a lot of different diets but apparently all of them mess my bowel. I’m diagnosed diverticulosis and IBS. If I do a high protein diet, I get constipated and developed diverticulitis. If I do high fiber the residues bothers my bowel 🤷🏽‍♀️👎🏽 There’s anybody out there who can help me? I want do start an exercise regimen but also... I’m scare that too much weight triggers my guts. Is exhausting. Any help?

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You'll need to find a sweet spot for protein intake and fiber. Keep the protein around .8g per pound of goal weight if you are eating at a deficit currently. That will not be super high, and include legumes as protein sources, not just meat, dairy and eggs. I have found that including good sources of soluble (as opposed to insoluble) fiber makes my life a lot easier, and keeping very well hydrated is an absolute necessity. I am not quite getting the "too much weight triggers my guts." Do you mean weight as in resistance training? Full body resistance training might actually be helpful in keeping things "moving" in an appropriate way. If you mean your body's weight, in terms of cardio, start slow and build gradually.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lchf? There are many in the low carber daily that find low carb (avoiding sugar, refined carbs and grains, raw vege, and limiting fibre), along with high fat and moderate protein, helps with gut issues.

It helps me. I was an untreated celiac for decades and I find sticking to meats, eggs, seafood, lactosefree high fat dairy is the easiest on my gut. Less constipation, bloating or pain. ymmv Good luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    zeejane03 wrote: »
    Op have you talked to your doctor about this? My husband has IBS and was referred to an allergist (an allergy test may be a good idea, to eliminate any food allergies that could be culprits-many times allergies mimic IBS symptoms.). After my husband tested negative for food allergies the allergist had him do the FODMAP protocol and that allowed him to figure out his triggers. My sister has had similar success with FODMAP, again under doctor supervision. A referral to a dietitian might be a good idea as well.

I have the same question. My sister has IBS and saw a doctor years ago and was able to identify her trigger foods. She used to have to take a fiber supplement (the effect of fiber varies depending on the particular sufferer), but now knows how to eat to have her issues all under control.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I also have IBS. I've been in situations where going for a walk I had to stop into a coffee shop to use their washroom and wanted to call an ambulance due to the pain involved. I have found IF to be helpful for me, I think it had been helpful from lessening the frequency to which my digestive system gets hit with food. And cutting down on carbinated beverages (which I never really had a lot of, but they occasionally cause issues). Worth trying if it's causing you a lot of discomfort and pain.
  • sequimtrim
    sequimtrim Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS, but not sure about that. I def have diverticulosis. There's a lot of advice and/or what works for me discussion. The last flare up I was plain confused about fiber vs no fiber. This time around it's no fiber until I have healed, then fiber is good.
  • Ziggyiguana82
    Ziggyiguana82 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you ever looked into water fasting for a few days? This enables your gut biome to take a little break and repair themselves. A lot of people don't give our natural flora and fauna enough credit. Do some research and see if it's right for you. Bonus - it's free!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I find for mine not eating much meat and not much raw veg (1/2 cup to 1 cup) is tolerable if I go too high fiber I feel result. I am most happy guy wise when I consume low protein low fruit veg and low to no bread
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I slowly over six months switched to a vegan mostly raw food diet. Now I have no gut issues. When I eat protein and animal fats I used to get diarrhea every morning, now I don't.

https://nutritionfacts.org/
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    FODMAP. My dr diagnosed me with mild/beginner IBS 3 or 4 years ago, put me on FODMAP, I did the best I could to comply with it (which wasn't easy; my food preferences don't square well with FODMAP), and at least half of the problem resolved itself over the next few months. It wasn't instantaneous, though - be prepared for that.

When I started IF shy of a year ago, that had a huge impact IBS and acid reflux wise, and I have basically been 90+ % symptom-free of all that nonsense ever since. So that's another possibility. But I'd start with FODMAP. It absolutely makes a difference, if you stick with it.